Does Siri work with built in car hands free-how?

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I love Siri. Unlike other folks, it has worked perfectly for me. It is so much easier to type emails, reminders, etc as well as search. So my question is, Can Siri work with a car's built-in Bluetooth hands free command kit thru the car's speakers? If so, how? (I realize for making hands free calls siri is not necessary since the car's command computer does this anyway).

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Good question. I am right there with you though. Siri is amazing. I have been using it non stop. It really does make life easier, especially for those that use their iPhone for everything like me. It's my life line. Thank you Apple. Siri is genius and I cant wait to see future updates.

I wish that Siri would read off my texts automatically, thats what I would like to see in an update.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It seems to access phone book and make hands free calls

By just playing with Siri in the car, I discovered that if the bluetooth is activated, for Siri will work but you have to hold down the home button. It will not work by placing the phone up to your ear.

In addition, it only seems to be able to make calls. e.g. "call John Smith." However, the nice thing is that it works with your entire contacts list on the phone. I did not have to download my phone book to the car's nav system ( I do not like this option because others who get access to your car might be able to use your phone book) nor was it limited just to the names I programmed into the car's nav system. I was able to call people who are not stored in the car's nav system.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
For me it seemed to be working with Bluetooth but sort of hard to tell since the phone also has a microphone. I was able to hold down the home button and the bluetooth interface for the car ('08 Camry) popped up and said "Talking" but it didn't dial anything and then I used Siri to send a text message. Siri's voice was coming from the car's speakers.
Yes, Siri's voice was delivered thru my car's speakers too but it wouldn't send a text message. Only calls.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
mine will do all of it in the car.... (2011 Grand Cherokee)

I have to tap the Siri button on the phone, but otherwise it still does everything and reads it back through the speakers. Too bad it cant tap into the nav, or get activated by the Car (instead of pressing the home button)

StevenJ_AK

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2008 range rover sport and mine works fine for calls and texts. Also dictates me really well and doesn't miss any words! I do have to hold down the home button though but that's not bad.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I have to tap the Siri button on the phone, but otherwise it still does everything and reads it back through the speakers. Too bad it cant tap into the nav, or get activated by the Car (instead of pressing the home button)
i figured out it will only make calls with phone held up to ear but when you press the button, it does everything.

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Works great on my 2012 Audi Q5. On a side note streaming Pandora and other apps now works with ios5. 4 did not stream.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

My BMW is the same. I have to activate Siri on the phone. I wish there were a way to activate Siri by pressing the voice/phone button on the steering wheel. Instead this activates the car voice control which is awkward and not much help.

mayerr2

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody tried holding down the call button

I've been wondering if this would work over a car's bluetooth as well. Unfortunately I am still waiting to get my 4S but I was researching this on other websites. Apple's website states that you can activate Siri over bluetooth by holding down the call button but I don't know if that includes a car kit.

From Apple...

Using Siri
How do I ask Siri something?
To talk to Siri, hold down the Home button on your iPhone 4S. You?ll hear two quick beeps and see ?What can I help you with?? on the screen. Just begin speaking. The microphone icon lights up to let you know that Siri hears you talking. Once you?ve started a dialogue with Siri, tap the microphone icon to talk to it again.

There?s more than one way to talk to Siri. When the screen is on, simply bring iPhone 4S up to your ear. You?ll hear two quick beeps to indicate that Siri is listening to you.

Siri also works with headphones and Bluetooth headsets. When you?re using headphones with a remote and microphone, you can press and hold the center button to talk to Siri. With a Bluetooth headset, press and hold the call button to bring up Siri.

Last edited:

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a Jabra Freeway in my car and I found that if I hold down the call button on the Bluetooth unit for a second, Siri will fire up without me having to touch the phone! totally awesome!

Reactions: mayerr2

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Bmw

My BMW is the same. I have to activate Siri on the phone. I wish there were a way to activate Siri by pressing the voice/phone button on the steering wheel. Instead this activates the car voice control which is awkward and not much help.

Im waiting to se when I get the iphone. My droid voice comand only activate threw bluetooth ear peice. the BMW bluetooth olny dail contacts and other BMW commands that have to do with the car.

GigaS27

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Honda Accord 2008

Honda Accord 2008....

Bluetooth works fine for calls, but Siri does not come from car bluetooth and actually freezes because it seems it tried to connect to bluetooth first...so kinda sucks! Try to use Siri in the car since i'm driving and theres always a start delay of a good 30 to 40 secs from the freezing...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit