Will SIRI come to older devices?

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Siri needs the specs of the 4S iPhone to run properly. It may be possible to do on a 4, but the end user experience will be less than satisfactory.

I highly doubt, especially if the 4S has the purported 512 MB of RAM (like the 4), that Siri on the 4 would be "less than satisfactory." I don't see it as being a highly intensive process.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Reading jailbreak community blogs, the consensus is SIRI is deeply embedded into the firmware with hard-coded hooks requiring the A5 chipset, and getting it to work on an iPhone4 is not coming any time soon, if ever.

immawaniac

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
if i recall correctly, SIRI used to be a free app, which was compatible with any ios device, but following Apples purchase of the company, the app was removed from the App Store. Technically it should be available, but it's up to the marketing folk at Apple.

anon(4742778)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
No, even it was ported onto older devices it would not function as it should. It is like Apple adding a depency for OpenGLES 2.0 for Multitasking to be enabled on 2nd Generation devices running iOS 4.2

Morrolan0675

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Reading jailbreak community blogs, the consensus is SIRI is deeply embedded into the firmware with hard-coded hooks requiring the A5 chipset, and getting it to work on an iPhone4 is not coming any time soon, if ever.

Couldn't they reverse engineer the original program? It worked beautifully on my iPhone 4.

wittc

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I wonder also if Siri will be enabled on other devices. It would be nice to have it on my iPod touch 4G. I also wonder if there is some kind of hardware chip on the new iPhone 4S that enables Siri. I thought it was just software. Does anyone have any insight on this?? :D

sep2006

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Some of you are saying other devices have too little RAM.

iPhone 4 and 4S reportedly have the same amount.

Others are saying it requires the new A5.

Why isn't it on the iPad 2?

And others are saying it will be nearly impossible/flat out impossible that SIRI could be on other devices

Some hackers put SIRI partially on an iPod touch 4th Gen.

All arguments against SIRI being on older devices are invalid (Other then the one about the selling point, that would make some sense)

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Some of you are saying other devices have too little RAM.

iPhone 4 and 4S reportedly have the same amount.

Others are saying it requires the new A5.

Why isn't it on the iPad 2?

And others are saying it will be nearly impossible/flat out impossible that SIRI could be on other devices

Some hackers put SIRI partially on an iPod touch 4th Gen.

All arguments against SIRI being on older devices are invalid (Other then the one about the selling point, that would make some sense)

It's the only one that makes sense!

It's one of the few things that REALLY sets it apart from the 4.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
From what I have read the 4S and the iPhone 4 have the same amount of RAM.... Either way I'd think the 4 could handle it, everything else I think we will see iOS 5 be trimmed down like iOS 4 was for legacy devices.

I've heard from a lot of different sources about the RAM of the iPhone 4S. I have heard it's the same, but I've also heard it is improved.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
if i recall correctly, SIRI used to be a free app, which was compatible with any ios device, but following Apples purchase of the company, the app was removed from the App Store. Technically it should be available, but it's up to the marketing folk at Apple.

This version of Siri is extremely dumbed down compared to what's shipping. Recognition was limited to certain phrases and not natural language. Failure rates were extremely high.

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
So I think the real answer here is we have no idea?? Haha but personally I think they'll bring it specifically to the iPad 2 once it's out of the beta testing phase because it runs the same hardware. There no reason it couldn't be on the iPad 2. Just thinking they'll run it beta for iPhone 4s specifically until prob after christmas

tapatalk on iPad 2
Apple lover
Best buy employee

sep2006

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Also: If Apple never releases SIRI for older devices and you guys don't want to (Or Can't) upgrade and don't want to jailbreak there is an amazing app in the app store called Vlingo which is about the same, in certain areas it's better, in other areas not so much.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Siri needs the specs of the 4S iPhone to run properly. It may be possible to do on a 4, but the end user experience will be less than satisfactory.

I have to disagree. The iPhone 4S has the same amount of RAM as the iPhone 4, and only a slightly faster processor (that's still not as fast as the iPad 2's processor, so it makes no sense why it cannot have Siri)?and that doesn't even matter considering most of the voice recognition takes place on Apple's servers. In fact, someone has gotten it working on a 4 (except that it, of course, won't connect to Apple's servers, validating my previous statement).

As for the OP's questions, I think it has more to do with it being a distinguishing factor for Apple's newer devices. That, and adding, say, the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 user base, would put an enormous strain on Apple's Siri servers. Seeing as how this is beta software, that would make sense to me.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Highly doubt it (referring to the original question). If we're about 6-9 months away from an iPhone 5 and they're going to keep selling the iPhone 4s for $199 while the 4 is HALF of that, they need some type of feature to differentiate the two. Simply saying "better processor and radios" isn't going to resonate with many causal buyers.