The Phone. Why Apple will drop the"i" in iPhone

luigirausch

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
As far as the iPhone 8, being it will be the 10th anniversary edition and nobody really knows what the "official" name will be. What if they called it the "Apple Phone" removing the i in iPhone. Why do I think they would do this? They have been progressively changing their naming schemes since the "Apple Watch” and now they have of course "Apple AirPods" "Apple TV" "Apple Music" “Apple Pencil” etc..

Along with this new naming scheme as Apple did with the Apple Watch the following Apple Phone could be the Apple Phone Series 2, which would be the same as the S updated versions. Then the following year could be the Apple Phone 2 and following that the Apple Phone 2 Series 2 etc..I say this because the materials and the naming scheme from the Apple Watch always tend to trickle into the iPhone, like the 3D Touch, soon to be OLED display, and the possibility of a ceramic body.

To enforce this all further, as you know Apple recently changed the Mac operating system name from OS X to macOS. Now with the upcoming iOS 11 they are making big changes to differentiate the iOS's for the future iPhones and iPads as the iPads are so much more powerful now (already running a very different version of iOS than is on the iPhone). Hence they will change the naming scheme of that as well, most likely phoneOS and padOS.

If Apple were to do this they wouldn't by any means be throwing away the iPhone name. Instead they would continue to use it on their cheaper older version phones at least for a few years to come, being they always give consumers some cheaper options. The Phone would then be reserved for the flagship model of course that is coming out. This would in-turn make the transition slow giving users a chance to adopt the name and at the same time separating it from the rest of the line, making it stand out more for sure. I think it also signifies and sets the tone for a new generation for Apple as a company and how this next generation of Phone's are going to change everything..again..as did the first iPhone ten years ago. We both know Apple has some crazy new tech up their sleeves just from what we’ve seen from their patents alone.

I am writing this because I have found nobody that even remotely mentions this possibility for the next iPhone and I wanted to get your expert opinion.

P.S. I also attached a link here to a video I created where I talk about this all more in detail if you are interested in hearing more!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St5dF86Uf8k

Thanks so much for listening.
~ Luigi Rausch

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
iPhone is a consumer staple. I doubt they will change the naming scheme, simply because it makes no sense from a marketing perspective. And why would they fragment iOS by dividing it into two separate operating systems?

Nice write up but it's pretty conjectural and far fetched in my honest opinion.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Apple TV was the first Apple product without the (i). They haven't used it for new products since. But I agree with Rob that they're not likely to change the iPhone. There's too much product name recognition there.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I like where you're going with this. I also like the padOS and phoneOS idea. Simply because I think it's well time for them to truly differentiate the iPhone from the iPad. Not sure about them dropping the "i" but I have no real reason to dispute that. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter what they call it. They can market it regardless. So it's definitely possible.

Nice write up.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
iPhone is a consumer staple. I doubt they will change the naming scheme, simply because it makes no sense from a marketing perspective. And why would they fragment iOS by dividing it into two separate operating systems?

Nice write up but it's pretty conjectural and far fetched in my honest opinion.

I don't know if they'd really be fragmenting the OS. They'd have a consistent OS for the iPhone, a consistent OS for the iPad and a consistent OS for the Mac line. Three separate OS'. I think it's a great idea and hope they explore that, personally.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't know if they'd really be fragmenting the OS. They'd have a consistent OS for the iPhone, a consistent OS for the iPad and a consistent OS for the Mac line. Three separate OS'. I think it's a great idea and hope they explore that, personally.

Having two separate operating systems means two different app stores with different apps. Universal apps probably won't be a thing anymore so iPad will lose ground as developers have to make two versions of their apps and many will simply stop making an iPad version. OS updates will be slower because Apple now has to manage two separate mobile operating systems. In the end, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. The great consistency for me is the fact that I can pick up an iPhone or an iPad and instantly know how to use it. Apple does a great job differentiating where it needs to without needing a separate OS for each device. The consistency is between the entire product line for me, not just individual devices.

My two cents.

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any of this happening. iPhone is one of the most recognized consumer products of all time. Changing the name would be highly questionable. Apple has spent more than a decade and countless millions of dollars creating the "i" device recognition. I don't think they'll change the iPad to "Apple Pad" or the iPod to the "Apple Pod"

The renaming of OS X to macOS actually falls in line with Apple's broader naming scheme. Apple TV = tvOS, Apple Watch = watchOS, iPad/iPhone/iPod = iOS, and now iMac/MacBook/Mac Pro = macOS.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see any of this happening. iPhone is one of the most recognized consumer products of all time. Changing the name would be highly questionable. Apple has spent more than a decade and countless millions of dollars creating the "i" device recognition. I don't think they'll change the iPad to "Apple Pad" or the iPod to the "Apple Pod"

The renaming of OS X to macOS actually falls in line with Apple's broader naming scheme. Apple TV = tvOS, Apple Watch = watchOS, iPad/iPhone/iPod = iOS, and now iMac/MacBook/Mac Pro = macOS.

All good points!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I could see  dropping the numbers way before changing the name of the device to something other than "iPhone"

I hope they won't. I find the iPad names very difficult to follow as is. A simply 1 - 2 - gazillion is clear and easier to follow than 1 - 2 - Air - Air 2 - 1 for that matter.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: The Phone. Why Apple will drop the"i" in iPhone

Having two separate operating systems means two different app stores with different apps. Universal apps probably won't be a thing anymore so iPad will lose ground as developers have to make two versions of their apps and many will simply stop making an iPad version. OS updates will be slower because Apple now has to manage two separate mobile operating systems. In the end, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. The great consistency for me is the fact that I can pick up an iPhone or an iPad and instantly know how to use it. Apple does a great job differentiating where it needs to without needing a separate OS for each device. The consistency is between the entire product line for me, not just individual devices.

My two cents.

Makes sense. My iPad Pros just kind of feel like bigger iPhones to me sometimes. There are some enhancements I think Apple could bring to the Pro line to make them feel more "Pro". Maybe an entirely new OS isn't the answer but I wouldn't be upset if that's where they went at some point. For me, the screen is the biggest and only differentiator between my phone and iPads. (And the Pencil).

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The Apple TV was the first Apple product without the (i). They haven't used it for new products since. But I agree with Rob that they're not likely to change the iPhone. There's too much product name recognition there.

The Apple TV wasn't the first Apple product without the (i) and they have used the (i) in products way after the first Apple TV.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Apple TV wasn't the first Apple product without the (i) and they have used the (i) in products way after the first Apple TV.

Which new Apple product starting with the Apple TV used the "i"? Not existing ones. Those that already used the i continued to do so. But beginning with the Apple TV, they dropped the i in new products and services. For example, there is no iPay or iWatch. I suppose if you go back before the iPhone, there was no use of the i. But for a while, everything had the i. Then with the Apple TV, it stopped for new products and services.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Which new Apple product starting with the Apple TV used the "i"? Not existing ones. Those that already used the i continued to do so. But beginning with the Apple TV, they dropped the i in new products and services. For example, there is no iPay or iWatch. I suppose if you go back before the iPhone, there was no use of the i. But for a while, everything had the i. Then with the Apple TV, it stopped for new products and services.

The iPad came out after Apple TV

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

No it did not. The iPad has been around a lot longer. The first iPad was released 7 years ago.

The first Apple TV was released in January 2007, which at that time the iPhone wasn't even around. The iPhone was released in June 2007 and the first iPad in 2010... and of course the rest is history. iCloud was released in 2010 prior to that it was MobileMe and prior to that it was .mac. So, yeah... the Apple TV was not the first Apple product without the (i).

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

The first Apple TV was released in January 2007, which at that time the iPhone wasn't even around. The iPhone was released in June 2007 and the first iPad in 2010... and of course the rest is history. iCloud was released in 2010 prior to that it was MobileMe and prior to that it was .mac. So, yeah... the Apple TV was not the first Apple product without the (i).
Not to mention all the computers before then... Powerbook, Powermac, Newton, etc.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal