The 'next big thing' from Apple

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
We already know we're getting new iPhones later this year (at least we should), and WWDC is coming up in June where we'll hear all sorts of new software and developer updates (maaaybe some hardware news)...

But what do you think the next big thing from Apple is going to be? A car? A TV? A boat? A plane? lol

Virtual Reality?

Or do you think for 2017 we're going to see the same slow drip of new devices to market?

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
VR is still a novelty at this point, in my opinion. Especially on mobile devices. Have you ever tried Google Cardboard on an iPhone? It's very underwhelming. On Android, Daydream and Gear VR can only be enjoyed for a few minutes, then the device begins to thermal throttle and the experience turns into an interactive slideshow with choppy sound. On the desktop side, it is still extremely cost prohibitive. There's also no "killer app" for VR.

Augmented Reality hasn't really taken off either, other than giving you the ability to use silly filters in Snapchat.

Until we reach the point where we can interact with our devices like the computer from Star Trek, I think we'll be stuck with iterative changes.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the huge leaps we made from flip phones and Blackberries to smartphones won't be seen for quite some time. We'd have to wait for a total revamp of mobile devices as we know it.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the next big thing will be hardware. I think the only obvious "big thing" on anyone's horizon is just much more IoT interconnectivity, smarter, more connected smart assistants, and more smart automation.

Picture your alarm waking you up, the lights in your house gradually brighten, the coffee maker in the kitchen automatically begins brewing a cup, the display on your smart fridge is playing the morning news while you prepare lunch to take to work. You're on your last stick of butter, so your fridge orders more, set to arrive when you get home from work. A commercial for McDonalds comes on TV and your phone lets you know that if you stop at the McDonalds on your route to work this morning, McDonalds will offer you a personalized coupon for your favorite breakfast items. Because your phone knows what you're watching on TV, knows what you like, knows your route to work, and can negotiate these sorts of promotions with retailers based on your preferences. Your car automatically warms up and adjusts the climate control to your desired settings, and GPS plots the best route to work before you even sit in the car... your car practically drives it self to work. Your McDonalds order is placed automatically as you approach and your approximate arrival time is communicated to McDonalds, you simply wave your phone by a keypad in the drive thru to confirm your arrival and payment and your food is ready and waiting.

Some automation and interconnectivity like this is already available in some capacity, but the first company to deploy on a larger scale and further refined... where it all works seamlessly behind the scenes. Baked in to the OS rather than a collection of 3rd party apps and services. That is where we are headed. Apple could be that company. Siri. Continuity between iOS and OS X devices, Apple CarPlay, Apple TV, the rumored Apple autonomous car... HomeKit. The dots are there. They just need to be connected on a massive scale and refined. All of these devices and more, actively working together to automate your entire life.

ChrisS9938

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
We've pretty much determined the rectangular smartphone is our preferred mobile technology platform. I don't see that changing soon. The iPhone will get better, but it won't really change. I think the next big thing will be the transition of the iPad into a fully convertible computer platform similar to the Surface.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I remember Tim Cook saying something awhile ago that when asked about iOS and Mac OS together, he said no. If this happens than the 13" MacBook would have no more use, and with MacBook sales, IMO, down, it would be money lost for Apple. iPhones sales are I think making the most money for Apple. Losing the MacBook would be a huge loss.

The surface can do this because windows is on a lot of PCs from a lot of different companies, Apple is alone and everything is just them. You down see Sienna or any other MAC OS on something like Dell or HP do you? This is why I don't think really ever you are going too see the platforms combined. Then who knows except the God what the future holds. But I could be wrong. This is only my opinion.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I remember a little while back when there was no Apple watch and people so wanted one and when Apple said at their event 'oh and there is one more thing' the crowd went mad because they knew it was Apple watch time haha :D

Going forward, maybe next year, Apple's 'next big thing' could be their new MacPro. Since its getting a whole new redesign with modularity and various other goodies. For this year, i think they are going to announce the new iPhones like normal and then at the end say, oh, we have a special iPhone we want to talk about. :D With regards to VR, i haven't heard to much chatter about that so I'm presuming its on the back burner but who knows!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73