Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 1 Post By Premium1
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Which ports do you think will be on the next wave of the Macbook lineup?

With the Macbook taking on the world with only 2 ports, where do you see the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air in the future, in terms of port availability? Is the Macbook Pro going to get more than one USB-C port? What other ports will Apple include? (Bonus round: Will the Macbook Air be dropped entirely if it's going to lose most of it's ports, or will it keep them to differentiate between the 2 'thin' models in the family?)
  2. Best Answer

At this point, no one knows, except select personnel at Apple, in my opinion. Personally, I don't care what they do with respect to ports as long as I am able to do what I need to do on their devices without it being an inconvenience.

Default Re: Which ports do you think will be on the next wave of the Macbook lineup?

At this point, no one knows, except select personnel at Apple, in my opinion. Personally, I don't care what they do with respect to ports as long as I am able to do what I need to do on their devices without it being an inconvenience.
    iMore Pro

Default Re: Which ports do you think will be on the next wave of the Macbook lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by Hakala View Post
    With the Macbook taking on the world with only 2 ports, where do you see the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air in the future, in terms of port availability? Is the Macbook Pro going to get more than one USB-C port? What other ports will Apple include? (Bonus round: Will the Macbook Air be dropped entirely if it's going to lose most of it's ports, or will it keep them to differentiate between the 2 'thin' models in the family?)
    I really don't know about the MacBook Air: there are chances it will be dropped entirely (and maybe there will be a larger 14" MacBook Retina).
    I really hope the MacBook Pro won't lose any port. It would be great to have 1 USB 3 and one USB C, and the TB2 port replaced by a TB3. I strongly suspect they are going to use 2 USB C ports instead (an adapter will be required).
    iMore Intermediate

Will the Macbook Air be dropped entirely
    At some point, though I don't think we'll see that this year.

Its my opinion that Apple needs to consolidate its product mix. They have an 11", 12" 13" (two models), and a 15" laptop. There's so much overlap that if kill off the MBA and maybe offer another MacBook model, that will help them.
    iMore Genius

Quote Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
    At some point, though I don't think we'll see that this year.

Its my opinion that Apple needs to consolidate its product mix. They have an 11", 12" 13" (two models), and a 15" laptop. There's so much overlap that if kill off the MBA and maybe offer another MacBook model, that will help them.
    I could see apple dropping the air line all together and make the macbook line and the pro line. Have the 12", 13" mac and the 13/15 for the pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    I could see apple dropping the air line all together and make the macbook line and the pro line. Have the 12", 13" mac and the 13/15 for the pro.
    Definitely, especially if they're able to get the base price of the MacBook down to the $900 range.
    Premium1 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Definitely, especially if they're able to get the base price of the MacBook down to the $900 range.
    I think it is very possible. I mean the air started around the price the macbook is and it dropped. I think with all of the constant sales on the macbook it shows they are definitely able to get the price under $1,000.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

I'm really hoping for a CD Drive, Ethernet port, RJ-45 port, USB 2.0 Port and if apple really pushes it, a Firewire port would be cool ^_^ lol

On a serious note, I'm sure there will be many USB Type-C ports
    iMore Intermediate

Apple likes that USB-C port.. so probably add a second one.. Dongles are here to stay.