Which new iOS features should game developers "worry about"?

PompiPompi

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I am a mobile game developer. I have an iPad 3(new), and iPod touch.
Both of these devices do not support Metal or GLES3 so I am eyeing either the iPhone 6 + or the iPad Air 2.
Ironically(or not) the bigger more powerful iPad Air2 is cheaper than iPhone 6 +.
However, I got a very old Note 1 phone which would be nice to replace with an iPhone 6+(as my personal phone).

Since iPhone 6+ is expensive(for me), I thought it would make sense to wait for the next iPhone announcement because then the iPhone 6+ might get cheaper.

However, what if the new iPhone 7 or whatever they announce have new technologies that are useful for game developer but they won't be available on iPhone 6+?

So I guess my question is, do you think there is going to be some sort of new technology relevant for game developers that won't be available for iPhone 6+?
I would think Metal and GLES3 are advanced enough that there might not be anything that will replace it.
Unless the iPhone 7 will have a newer version of Metal and GLESX that only it's chip will support the new features?

I guess it makes sense to wait anyway and only then decide if I should buy the iPhone6+ or something newer.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think most of the new tools available for developers came with iOS 8. But even if iOS 9 adds a few more, the 6+ will get them. I doubt they would be hardware features, except for maybe camera improvements. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

PompiPompi

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Well I guess it would help if we knew of a new chip in the working like A9(or is it A10 now?), but iPhone 6S might get the same chip as iPhone 6+?
Maybe we could search the company that makes/design/manufacture chips for iPhone? They might be working on a new chip.
Not entirely sure who designs/manufacture the AX series chips.

Gameshot

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't really think you have to worry about this the next years. You still can develop apps running on iPhone 4s and iPad2 using iOS9.1

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods