MacBook battery doesn't charge anymore after macOS update!!🤷🏼‍♂️

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure that it's the latest macOS update that bricked my battery, but I do assume that it did...

Last week after updating to the latest macOS (I'm on a MacBook Air 2017, not sure what the latest macOS is), my battery doesn't charge anymore.
This morning I wanted to use my MacBook Air, and found the battery was empty, so I plugged it in, but the battery doesn't charge anymore.
The light in the magsafe charger does turn green for 5sec, than it turns orange.

Does this problem sound familiar to any of you??
And how can I fix this?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure that it's the latest macOS update that bricked my battery, but I do assume that it did...

Last week after updating to the latest macOS (I'm on a MacBook Air 2017, not sure what the latest macOS is), my battery doesn't charge anymore.
This morning I wanted to use my MacBook Air, and found the battery was empty, so I plugged it in, but the battery doesn't charge anymore.
The light in the magsafe charger does turn green for 5sec, than it turns orange.

Does this problem sound familiar to any of you??
And how can I fix this?
I have seen it on a couple of MacBook Pro devices at my previous workplace.

I would leave it be for a couple of hours. When a battery is deeply discharged, like this one might be, it will not initially charge at full speed.

After a few hours, it still won’t power on, it’s possible that the battery is completely dead. The only fix for it is to replace the battery.

This is usually not a firmware or software problem, but simply the process of chemical aging of the battery.

Reactions: doogald

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you are able to start the machine, and then if you option-click the Apple icon in the menu bar top-left and open System Information, then click on "Power" in the left sidebar, what does it say about the battery condition?

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
There's still no life in it... and I'm NOT going to pay 300 for a new battery.
Stupid thing is, I hardly used my MacBook, since I'm always on my 2014 iMac. --> so battery wear shouldn't even be an issue.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
There's still no life in it... and I'm NOT going to pay 300 for a new battery.
Stupid thing is, I hardly used my MacBook, since I'm always on my 2014 iMac. --> so battery wear shouldn't even be an issue.
The battery wears out even if it’s not being used.

Li-Ion batteries do not like deep discharges (being at 0) or overcharging. The typical range they should be at is between 20% and 80%, except if it’s in prolonged storage when it should be around 50%.

Reactions: doogald

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Go on Youtube,find out how to change it yourself, you'll probably find out where to get the battery at the same time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost