Thoughts on the election result?

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Wondering what people here think about dt's use of an Android phone as reported by the New York Times. I'm a mobile OS newbie and may not know what I'm talking about, but am under the impression that iOS with minimal frivolous apps and add ons is far superior from a security standpoint. I forget where I read it, but the outgoing POTUS described his own phone as being more like a stripped down kiddie toy than what I'm tapping on.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wondering what people here think about dt's use of an Android phone as reported by the New York Times. I'm a mobile OS newbie and may not know what I'm talking about, but am under the impression that iOS with minimal frivolous apps and add ons is far superior from a security standpoint. I forget where I read it, but the outgoing POTUS described his own phone as being more like a stripped down kiddie toy than what I'm tapping on.

As with the previous POTUS, I couldn't care less what type of mobile device he uses as long as he's happy with it. I'm sure it'll be modified for security purposes, regardless of the make and OS.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Disgusting acts. Don't forget the actions of those teenagers in Chicago towards the mentally ill man. Just as horrific.

But none of that should distract from the fact that an administration is being built that doesn't address many of Americans in this country. We've seen misogyny (Trump), anti-LGBT members (Pence), white nationalists (Bannon) and the entire swamp that was supposed to have been drained allowed into the cabinet.

I recently read through a debate on another forum where one of the members, in my opinion, did a good job at pointing out the holes in a Donald Trump vote.

By voting for Donald Trump, you said, by default, that you are okay with:

a Vice President with anti-gay beliefs, and supports policies and concepts that are harmful to LGBT Americans [1]

a candidate who calls people names like “loser” “ugly” on social media and on televised events

a candidate who promised to build a wall and get Mexico to pay for it with no serious research into the feasibility of it

a candidate who has most of his products manufactured outside the U.S. but promises to bring manufacturing jobs back to the U.S.

has a history of race-baiting, and racial discrimination [2] [3]

a man whose ghostwriter would now say that he would rename the book “The Sociopath” [4]

a 70 year old man who has never had the discipline and forethought to make a foray into public service or office, but is somehow qualified to be President

pandering to the rural white working class and their economic, social and cultural anxiety (without addressing the rampant drug abuse or problems in those communities)

has a history of crony capitalism

has an iffy working knowledge of how our government and constitution works

appointed Steve Bannon, editor of a white nationalist leaning, low quality, high misinformation media website to his staff [5]

a registry for US citizens based on their religion, which is religious discrimination [6]

punish women for making the personal decision to have an abortion

I know, Trump supporters will say “Well, I do have a problem with those things.” Maybe that is true. But what is absolutely for certain is none of things were a deal breaker for you as a voter.

So, to many of us, your vote for Trump was a voter for a President that is a threat. It is seen as an act of hostility, indifference, petty rebellion and poor judgement.

The only thing I feel I owe you is to support you not being harassed or threatened with physical violence for how you voted.

Other than that, do not expect your opinions to be held in high esteem, or to even be respected. They will be acknowledged by me, but not necessarily respected.

You voted for a man I am ashamed to have my children see in the White House. You voted for a man that is a bully with a fragile ego.

Donald Trump fanned the flames of intolerance for over a year, and now there are complaints of intolerance towards those who supported this candidate?

I find this complaint exhausting and frustrating!

Here is what I don’t get.

I have never had a “ Trump voters are all this.. “ view.

I know the “Trump voters are the downtrodden working class” is propaganda. They are not suffering any more than any other segment of the working class, and in most cases, are actually doing better than women and POC with similar skills/experience.

[1] Mike Pence: What He's Said on LGBT Issues Over the Years
[2] Donald Trump Says Central Park Five Are Guilty, Despite DNA Evidence - NBC News
[3] http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html
[4] Behind ‘The Art of the Deal’: Trump’s Ghostwriter Calls Candidate a ‘Sociopath’ | Politics | US News
[5] White nationalists see advocate in Steve Bannon who will hold Trump to his campaign promises - CNNPolitics.com
[6] Trump's Muslim registry wouldn't be illegal, constitutional law experts say - POLITICO

Some things I, in good faith, can't turn a blind eye to. Steve Bannon called the site he ran the platform for the alt-right. We saw what the alt-right believes after the election results.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/us/alt-right-salutes-donald-trump.html?_r=0

This is different than some bad people doing bad things and claiming to do them in the name of someone else. You've got a major voice in a horrible movement sitting in a position of power in the white house with the soon to be most powerful man in the country. Some things will never get my support. As a black man...watching that is disgusting.

Trump further proved his inability to speak for the voices of all Americans when this statement,

"We, sir -- we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights," Dixon said. "We truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us."

Was met with this response,
Our wonderful future V.P. Mike Pence was harassed last night at the theater by the cast of Hamilton, cameras blazing.This should not happen!

The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!

The cast and producers of Hamilton, which I hear is highly overrated, should immediately apologize to Mike Pence for their terrible behavior

We are ran by a man who doesn't want to hear the voices of those who feel ignored. That should bother everyone. But it obviously doesn't.

“those who stand idle in the face of oppression have sided with the oppressors.”

-Desmond Tutu

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Honest question, when did Trump say he was going to ignore those that want their voices heard? Seriously. Point me to the quotes where he made those exact words.

Because, despite me not voting for the man, it's apparent he was elected for the very reason he's speaking up for those who have been silent for a long time now.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Honest question, when did Trump say he was going to ignore those that want their voices heard? Seriously. Point me to the quotes where he made those exact words.

Because, despite me not voting for the man, it's apparent he was elected for the very reason he's speaking up for those who have been silent for a long time now.

I don't ever recall Trump saying that he was going to ignore those that want their voices heard, nor was I able to find anything about it. It's probably more lies from the left who are still mad that their criminal wasn't elected.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Disgusting acts. Don't forget the actions of those teenagers in Chicago towards the mentally ill man. Just as horrific.

But none of that should distract from the fact that an administration is being built that doesn't address many of Americans in this country. We've seen misogyny (Trump), anti-LGBT members (Pence), white nationalists (Bannon) and the entire swamp that was supposed to have been drained allowed into the cabinet......
C'mon man, just stop. Don't you dare sit there and downplay the horrific hate crimes committed by those kids on a helpless man and then turn right around and make the election of Mr. Trump a bigger concern. President-elect Trump will be under a microscope and his every move will be dissected. Having said that, there is no way he is going to be the monster that some of you have been led to believe. Have you looked into the background of the people in BHO's and HRC's inner circle? Can you say with certainty that the people that they associate with and/or have chosen to be a part of their team (work-wise) have a squeaky clean history, never spoken a hurtful word, never had freaky thoughts of women and/or men, aren't or have never been associated with people who were racist or have ever spoken with racial overtones, whether jokingly or not? Of course, you can't so don't you dare sit there and broadly pant a negative image of the President-elect and some of the people he has chosen to be a part of his cabinet.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
We are ran by a man who doesn't want to hear the voices of those who feel ignored. That should bother everyone. But it obviously doesn't.

He won an election by listening to the voices of those who feel ignored. The more people learn to accept this the better they will understand.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Have you looked into the background of the people in BHO's and HRC's inner circle? Can you say with certainty that the people that they associate with and/or have chosen to be a part of their team (work-wise) have a squeaky clean history, never spoken a hurtful word, never had freaky thoughts of women and/or men, aren't or have never been associated with people who were racist or have ever spoken with racial overtones, whether jokingly or not?

We are all included in this in one way or another. Everyone in this thread and everyone else. Not a damn soul isn't guilty to at least one of these things. People love to not be judged but are quick with the trigger shoot out judgements on others.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We are all included in this in one way or another. Everyone in this thread and everyone else. Not a damn soul isn't guilty to at least one of these things. People love to not be judged but are quick with the trigger shoot out judgements on others.
No doubt about it...:)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Is there a direct quote I can point you to? No. But reference the quotes I mentioned. As a president of the United States of America (or soon to be) when a minority group reaches out with genuine concerns and does so in a very respectful tone, to respond by insulting their work and demanding an apology is disgusting. If Obama were to do that very thing people wouldn't be happy. He'd be a jerk who is stifling the first amendment right to free speech. But when trump does it "it's not so bad". Demanding an apology for a citizen speaking their concerns respectfully should offend us all. Especially those who point to the freedoms our military fights for. But as with many things that have taken place with trump...this isn't that big of a deal. Because it doesn't affect the majority.

I don't ever recall Trump saying that he was going to ignore those that want their voices heard, nor was I able to find anything about it. It's probably more lies from the left who are still mad that their criminal wasn't elected.

Last I checked Hillary has not been convicted of a crime thus she isn't a criminal. If we can assign labels based on accusations then would Trump not be a ****** (person convicted of rape. I guess the term is a bad word?)?

Of course he isn't...because he hasn't been convicted of such. And I'm sure you wouldn't subscribe to the notion that he is one. So you, and many others, should finally put that to rest. Because the facts are that both Trump and Hillary have been accused of crimes. You don't get to label one and turn a blind eye to the other. (Man...there is that theme again)

C'mon man, just stop. Don't you dare sit there and downplay the horrific hate crimes committed by those kids on a helpless man and then turn right around and make the election of Mr. Trump a bigger concern. President-elect Trump will be under a microscope and his every move will be dissected. Having said that, there is no way he is going to be the monster that some of you have been led to believe. Have you looked into the background of the people in BHO's and HRC's inner circle? Can you say with certainty that the people that they associate with and/or have chosen to be a part of their team (work-wise) have a squeaky clean history, never spoken a hurtful word, never had freaky thoughts of women and/or men, aren't or have never been associated with people who were racist or have ever spoken with racial overtones, whether jokingly or not? Of course, you can't so don't you dare sit there and broadly pant a negative image of the President-elect and some of the people he has chosen to be a part of his cabinet.
Let's be careful here not to make assumptions about what I'm saying or how I feel. Nobody is downplaying anything. My blood boiled watching that video. Just like my blood boiled after Dylan Roof. So there is no downplaying horrific acts going on. One can be offended by two or more things simultaneously.

Huma Abedin was called a terrorist for writing on a site associated with Islamic Terror groups despite having no direct connection with those groups nor writing anything herself. Steve Bannon oversees a website that he calls the "platform for the alt right movement", which has continued to show itself as a white supremacist organization, and you among others don't bat an eye. That's a problem. I don't care how you rationalize it. It's a double standard that many Trump supporters are ok with.

When Obama was called out for his association with Rev Wright, he disassociated himself from him. Now Rev Wright doesn't like Obama. Obama didn't give him a cabinet position. You can bet your tail if he had there would have been a huge outcry. Trump appoints Bannon, who although may not have said hateful things in public ear provided a platform for these things to be said, and nobody cares. Reoccurring theme here.

If you're going to sit there and excuse racism, misogyny and xenophobia because everyone knows someone like that or everyone associates with people like that then your a direct part of the problem. You are absolutely right...I have associated with people like that. And I correct them as soon as I hear it. I'm part of a marginalized group and so I for damn sure won't stand idly by and allow anyone to disrespect another group. So yes, if you put people with a history of marginalization in power I absolutely will paint a negative image of you. Because if it weren't for people bold enough to stand up for these things this country would be where it is.

That mentality is very unfortunate. We as a people should never excuse a behavior because others have exhibited that behavior. R Kelly was one of my favorite singers. Then he peed on a little girl. I no longer purchase R Kelly albums.

He won an election by listening to the voices of those who feel ignored. The more people learn to accept this the better they will understand.

I've stated that I understand WHY he won. But he's doing nothing to unite those who feel he isn't listening to them. Again, refer to his Hamilton conversation. Those people, respectfully, asked for his consideration. And he instead chose to disrespect them, their art and demand and apology. Even you, a Trump supporter, should see an issue with that response. Rather than unite, he further divided. Obama says had he had a son he'd look like Trayvon and people cried about him dividing a nation. Trump directly talks down to a diverse cast by insulting their work after they simply ask for representation and all is good. Double standards.

So we shouldn't strive for better? I made jokes about women in high school. I then grew up, got married and had a daughter. I now see women in a completely different way. Growing up I've traveled and worked and associated with people of all colors and walks of life. I can honestly say I actively work to embrace all walks of life. Bigotry serves no purpose in my life. I would hope that this whole "everyone is guilty of that stuff so it's ok" mentality finds its way out the door soon. Otherwise this country will never progress and that whole "MAGA" nonsense will only apply to certain individuals and not the whole.

My sons school teaches them that "character counts". You're all reaffirming that in actuality it doesn't. When the majority is guilty of poor character we shouldn't call for better.

That's a sad position to hold.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Last I checked Hillary has not been convicted of a crime thus she isn't a criminal. If we can assign labels based on accusations then would Trump not be a ******?

Of course he isn't...because he hasn't been convicted of such. And I'm sure you wouldn't subscribe to the notion that he is one. So you, and many others, should finally put that to rest. Because the facts are that both Trump and Hillary have been accused of crimes. You don't get to label one and turn a blind eye to the other.

Trump never did something that got people killed nor did he mishandle classified information, get your facts straight. She is a criminal, unlike Trump. Im sorry you can't accept the fact that Trump won and the criminal he ran against lost.

Steve Bannon oversees a website that he calls the "platform for the alt right movement", which has continued to show itself as a white supremacist organization, and you among others don't bat an eye. That's a problem. I don't care how you rationalize it. It's a double standard that many Trump supporters are ok with.

You do know that white supremacy is a liberal thing, not conservative right? Apparently you listen to the liberal media too much...

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Trump never did something that got people killed nor did he mishandle classified information, get your facts straight. She is a criminal, unlike Trump. Im sorry you can't accept the fact that Trump won and the criminal he ran against lost.

You do realize that here in America we've got the right to due process and a fair trial, correct? Thus you cannot call someone a criminal who hasn't been tried and convicted of a crime. Therefore she technically cannot be a criminal.

But if we are allowed to label someone based on accusations then Trump is certainly a r@pist, right?

Mishandling classified information wasn't a crime at the time she was serving. Please research before you recommend someone else getting their facts straight. The law was changed after she left the White House. Which is partly why the fbi ruled that although she broke no laws she was extremely careless. This was determined after a FEDERAL INVESTIGATION.

Based on your twisted logic, any president who engages in war is a murderer, right? That's "doing something that got people killed". Give it a rest. The only crime Hillary is guilty of is running that child sex ring out of a pizza shop. And that upstanding citizen busted in and put a stop to that.

I've accepted that Trump has won. Since he won the election was obviously fair. It was only rigged when he thought he was losing. Remember when he called for the abolishment of the electoral college after Obama won in 2012? Lol. How soon we all forget.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that here in America we've got the right to due process and a fair trial, correct? Thus you cannot call someone a criminal who hasn't been tried and convicted of a crime. Therefore she technically cannot be a criminal.

But if we are allowed to label someone based on accusations then Trump is certainly a r@pist, right?

Mishandling classified information wasn't a crime at the time she was serving. Please research before you recommend someone else getting their facts straight. The law was changed after she left the White House. Which is partly why the fbi ruled that although she broke no laws she was extremely careless. This was determined after a FEDERAL INVESTIGATION.

Based on your twisted logic, any president who engages in war is a murderer, right? That's "doing something that got people killed". Give it a rest. The only crime Hillary is guilty of is running that child sex ring out of a pizza shop. And that upstanding citizen busted in and put a stop to that.

I've accepted that Trump has won. Since he won the election was obviously fair. It was only rigged when he thought he was losing. Remember when he called for the abolishment of the electoral college after Obama won in 2012? Lol. How soon we all forget.

Your post is full of nonsense that only comes from a liberal such as yourself. She is most definitely a criminal for her negligence leading to people's murder, and her mishandling of classified information.
I'm pretty certain that it was proven that the people accusing Trump of rape were paid by your people, the liberals.
Mishandling classified information has been a federal crime since at least 2006 when I got my first security clearance. To say otherwise is untrue. Also she was never in the White house, so that shows what you know!
There's a difference between a war and what she did. What she did was outright murder, and in no way can be compared to a war. There's no use arguing with you since you're just a liberal who goes with what he's told without backing anything up. You liberals are a special kind of stupid!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Your post is full of nonsense that only comes from a liberal such as yourself. She is most definitely a criminal for her negligence leading to people's murder, and her mishandling of classified information.
I'm pretty certain that it was proven that the people accusing Trump of rape were paid by your people, the liberals.
Mishandling classified information has been a federal crime since at least 2006 when I got my first security clearance. To say otherwise is untrue. Also she was never in the White house, so that shows what you know!
There's a difference between a war and what she did. What she did was outright murder, and in no way can be compared to a war. There's no use arguing with you since you're just a liberal who goes with what he's told without backing anything up. You liberals are a special kind of stupid!

Can you point to a point in my post where I insulted or disrespected you? I'll wait.

One of us can hold a respectful debate. The other obviously can't.

Those darn stupid liberals seem to at least be the level headed and respectful ones, no?

I apologize. It's not the mishandling of information that wasn't illegal. It was her use of a personal email device.

But that doesn't change the fact that she hasn't been convicted of anything and so she technically can't be a criminal.

But you're good. Rather than dispute that, hurling insults is the best option. Makes total sense. Trump does similar things.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Can you point to a point in my post where I insulted or disrespected you? I'll wait.

One of us can hold a respectful debate. The other obviously can't.

Those darn stupid liberals seem to at least be the level headed and respectful ones, no?

I apologize. It's not the mishandling of information that wasn't illegal. It was her use of a personal email device.

But that doesn't change the fact that she hasn't been convicted of anything and so she technically can't be a criminal.

But you're good. Rather than dispute that, hurling insults is the best option. Makes total sense. Trump does similar things.

Her using a personal email device is mishandling classified information, and has been since at least 2006. There's been people discharged from the military for having their government email forwarded to their personal email address, which is essentially what she did, but she bypassed the government email. There is no denying that she's a criminal. You're just upset that your candidate was beat by Trump, so go spread more bull**** like you stupid liberals always do!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Is the US Secretary of State not a White House position? A position appointed to her by then President Obama within his administration?

Hmmm....

The Secretary of State isn't assigned to the White House, they're assigned to the Truman Building, hmmm. Someone didn't pay attention during their free school I see. Go spread more bull**** lies like you liberals are so good at, yet you can't take facts, just like hillary