Does the State Department still issue only BlackBerry devices?

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
From this CNN article:
Former secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she used a private domain for her official work during her time at the State Department out of "convenience," but admitted in retrospect "it would have been better" to use multiple emails.

"I opted for convenience to use my personal email account, which was allowed by the State Department, because I thought it would be easier to carry just one device for my work and for my personal emails instead of two," she said during a press conference after her speech at the United Nations Tuesday. "Looking back, it would have been better if I'd simply used a second email account and carried a second phone."

I know many US government agencies have switched to BYOD or even issue iPhones.

Does anyone know if the State Department is still a BlackBerry-only department? Could Hillary Clinton had such a dislike for BlackBerry devices that she chose to use her own mail server and a personal device that wasn't a BlackBerry?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
On another tab of my browser I have a story open about this topic and the photo at the top of the story is of Hillary with a Blackberry in her hand sitting at what appears to be a congressional hearing.

Her phone preference had nothing to do with it. She did not want all her emails to be cataloged and possibly used against her in a possible Presidential campaign.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
On another tab of my browser I have a story open about this topic and the photo at the top of the story is of Hillary with a Blackberry in her hand sitting at what appears to be a congressional hearing.

Her phone preference had nothing to do with it.

Could you post the picture?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about the state department, but the feds have issued a slew of different devices for years (including iPhone, android devices and Blackberrys). I had an EVO for the longest time, and then my last few years with the feds I had an iPhone. The feds did not allow for personal devices to be used for official business...although many of my cohorts used their fed issued device as their personal device as well, lol. I never did because I liked being able to turn the damned thing off when I wasn't on duty, lol!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2