Cyber Terrorism or Cyber Bullying? Or...how Hollywood tucked it's tail and ran.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This week we've had a front row seat to arguably the most direct form of cyber threats our country has seen in terms of our day to day life. We spent close to $12 BILLION dollars in movie theaters last year watching movies...but this week, we were denied one of America's most beloved forms of entertainment, and one of the WORLD'S largest companies (Sony) experienced a hack that amounted to millions and millions of dollars in lost revenue, exposed trade secrets, foiled business moves and, ultimately, a work of comedy satire being "banned" from our view because of nothing more than fear.

Our government isn't responsible for controlling these companies or the actions they make in this regard...but to me, I feel if this threat is real in the way it has been described by the media, shouldn't our government have a much larger response to such an "attack"?

Personally, I think the whole thing reeks of bullsh*t...from the hack itself to the details being released surrounding it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This whole thing just makes me wish I owned the rights to sell 'Seinfeld' reruns for syndication. Would never have to work a day in my life ever again.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Today Sony said they still want to release the movie and NK wants to help find who's responsible for the attacks. A sudden turn.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Today Sony said they still want to release the movie and NK wants to help find who's responsible for the attacks. A sudden turn.

I think they realize this horse sh*t story that has been made up is starting to crumble in certain places and they want to use diversion tactics to keep your focus away from any one point for too long. One of the biggest companies in the world...they know what they're doing. They just turned a $50some odd million dollar movie into one that will make hundreds of millions of dollars.

This, of course, is just my observation though.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I really hope that the US is responsible for crashing NK's internet. It would show a sense of humor and an ability to deal with the Beloved Demented Sausage without bombing the crap out of innocent people.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It is angering that people are torrenting the Interview instead of buying it. I know it is only released in America so far, but people could wait. By torrenting, it lessens the chance of a major film being distributing online first again.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It is angering that people are torrenting the Interview instead of buying it. I know it is only released in America so far, but people could wait. By torrenting, it lessens the chance of a major film being distributing online first again.

No it doesn't...what lessens the chance of major online distribution is the fact they studios still know they'll make more money with a theatrical release first, then on demand downloading. This whole "hacking" story was a monetary chess move because they knew the movie was terrible, and after the first couple of days, no one would have paid to see it...at least here they got a pretty substantial amount of money from both theatrical showings and VoD.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It is angering that people are torrenting the Interview instead of buying it.

Your head would blow up if you knew that that is what pretty much what happens with every movie nowadays lol

I saw the previews a lot in the theaters because my girlfriend and I attend the theater plenty during the year and I never had the urge to see 'The Interview' at all. I didn't find the trailers that funny. And besides, I think James Franco is unbelievably overrated as an actor so I try to avoid spending any sort of money on his movies.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Your head would blow up if you knew that that is what pretty much what happens with every movie nowadays lol

The truth is, torrenting movies has a relatively low impact on the film industry as far as monetary gains on the films released...releasing them as downloadable content, in many ways, would relieve some of the torrenting impact, because if a person could easily download it for a fair price (key word), they'd be less inclined to illegally download the movie vs. spending $5, $10 even $15 for the movie to enjoy in their own home...AND KEEP IT.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The truth is, torrenting movies has a relatively low impact on the film industry as far as monetary gains on the films released...releasing them as downloadable content, in many ways, would relieve some of the torrenting impact, because if a person could easily download it for a fair price (key word), they'd be less inclined to illegally download the movie vs. spending $5, $10 even $15 for the movie to enjoy in their own home...AND KEEP IT.

Like watching/renting the interview for $6- well worth it!

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Sounds like the music industry 15 years ago.

Just about getting Hollywood and SAG to get with it already.