Obama will go down as an exceptional president

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I laughed when someone said before the economic collapse he had a good 7 years, lol. Hurricane Katrina, FEMA, 2 Wars, govt overreach into personal.lives with the Patriot Act and the shoe throwing incident combined don't add up to a "good" 7 years.

Then when his term comes to a close the recessions hits, then you have President Obama pull us out of those wars, fix the economy, other countries love him, he is the most tech savvy president yet and actively engages the youth, dedicated to reforming the NSA, and CIA, and is an all around good guy.

Best President we have had for a LONG time. Quite honestly, objectively the next person in office has big shoes to fill.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I laughed when someone said before the economic collapse he had a good 7 years, lol. Hurricane Katrina, FEMA, 2 Wars, govt overreach into personal.lives with the Patriot Act and the shoe throwing incident combined don't add up to a "good" 7 years.

Then when his term comes to a close the recessions hits, then you have President Obama pull us out of those wars, fix the economy, other countries love him, he is the most tech savvy president yet and actively engages the youth, dedicated to reforming the NSA, and CIA, and is an all around good guy.

Best President we have had for a LONG time. Quite honestly, objectively the next person in office has big shoes to fill.

Drinking the kool aid again I see.

Chuckles I say chuckles.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using 100% recycled electrons and of course Tapatalk

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I didn't know you were allowed two accounts. Acadia11 I know that's you.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I personally feel all of the presidents are just faces to put on a government...but a few of your points stood out as pretty hilariously misrepresented as things Obama has done...

1.) "Fix the economy" - No quite...actually...not at all. Economy is not fixed, and probably never will be.

2.) "Most tech savvy president" - Look at the time frame that he was the president, and then look at the kind of technological advances society has made. Makes it kind of obvious that a president within this time frame would reflect this, regardless of who they were. When Bush was in office, we were still staring down the glittery barrel of MySpace...when Clinton was in office we were still using pagers.

3.) "Actively engages youth" - All presidents actively engage youth. Hell, Bush was at a "Book It!" event when 9/11 happened, so I'm not sure why you think this is something any one president has done better or worse.

4.) "Pull us out of those wars" - How about "reduced the number of troops in those wars", because they're still over there.

5.) Reforming NSA and CIA - The CIA probably laughed when they read that comment you just made...and the NSA has grown larger and more encompassing through Obama's administration, but not over any fault of his own...comes with the way our society is moving combined with technologies reach into individuals lives and the abilities that come from such.

6.) "All around good guy" - I actually got to meet the president 2 years ago when he visited the CDC here in Atlanta. He was a very nice man and treated all of us with honor and respect. I also got to meet Bush, and he was exactly the same.

...Lastly..."Other countries love him". This one stood out to me as a little bit silly, but also quite true. Silly because he garners respect and love from people who are also just "faces", putting up an identifiable person to represent "x". With that though comes a new representation of the country from opinions no more or less useful than our own...the ones that think our country is soft and vulnerable now given how likable the president is. It's really silly because it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things, but it is true, a lot of foreign leadership faces like Obama, for whatever that's worth. I think I'd trade that for a more meaningful opinion of strength and leadership, but I'm not sure that is possible anymore, the way things go.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I didn't know you were allowed two accounts. Acadia11 I know that's you.

Uhmm, been a member here for over 2 years so....

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I personally feel all of the presidents are just faces to put on a government...but a few of your points stood out as pretty hilariously misrepresented as things Obama has done...

1.) "Fix the economy" - No quite...actually...not at all. Economy is not fixed, and probably never will be.

2.) "Most tech savvy president" - Look at the time frame that he was the president, and then look at the kind of technological advances society has made. Makes it kind of obvious that a president within this time frame would reflect this, regardless of who they were. When Bush was in office, we were still staring down the glittery barrel of MySpace...when Clinton was in office we were still using pagers.

3.) "Actively engages youth" - All presidents actively engage youth. Hell, Bush was at a "Book It!" event when 9/11 happened, so I'm not sure why you think this is something any one president has done better or worse.

4.) "Pull us out of those wars" - How about "reduced the number of troops in those wars", because they're still over there.

5.) Reforming NSA and CIA - The CIA probably laughed when they read that comment you just made...and the NSA has grown larger and more encompassing through Obama's administration, but not over any fault of his own...comes with the way our society is moving combined with technologies reach into individuals lives and the abilities that come from such.

6.) "All around good guy" - I actually got to meet the president 2 years ago when he visited the CDC here in Atlanta. He was a very nice man and treated all of us with honor and respect. I also got to meet Bush, and he was exactly the same.

...Lastly..."Other countries love him". This one stood out to me as a little bit silly, but also quite true. Silly because he garners respect and love from people who are also just "faces", putting up an identifiable person to represent "x". With that though comes a new representation of the country from opinions no more or less useful than our own...the ones that think our country is soft and vulnerable now given how likable the president is. It's really silly because it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things, but it is true, a lot of foreign leadership faces like Obama, for whatever that's worth. I think I'd trade that for a more meaningful opinion of strength and leadership, but I'm not sure that is possible anymore, the way things go.

The NSA and CIA over each came from bills from the Patriot Act and Bush was in office at the time.

As for the economy, how is it not better than it was?

And finally for the wars, he did pull us out of those wars. We are not in conflict with Afghanistan or Iraq anymore. The majority of the troops over there now are noncombat people.

And he is very tech savvy, he gave an iPod to the Queen, remember?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

1) is it better than or worse than when he took office? Did Reagan fix the U.S. Economy when he was in office? What is your definition of fixed. Every other president has been measured in is it better than when they received it.

2) tech savvy is his ability to utilize advanced metrics and social networks to solve problems, you should the number of mathematicians and computer scientist working on his campaign. I know this because my friend and I both worked in the campaign, he writing some of the high tech voter mapping software. His election program was a machine, far more advanced than anything before it, it's his ability to use technology to solve problems that makes him tech savvy.

3) all presidents do not actively engage the youth, that's a ridiculous claim, Obama on this is much better, note the ability to raise so much money from youth contributors . Look man you give this man no credit ever and that's just ridiculous.

The rest are opinion comments of the poster as they are opinions not much I can prove or disprove , except for the troops, Iraq we were completely out , Afghanistan reduced numbers, Obama switching to a precision war, as opposed to total war, using drones , spec ops, advisors , etc ... There by getting results with limited engagement reducing cost and lives lost. A scalpel vs a sword and this IMHO is way you must deal with 21st century threats not named Russia or China.

One more comment , what is the size of the CIA and NsA today? And dealing with threats we have today why would smaller be better. Just dealing with today's government cyber attackers would increase the size of these agencies. Finally, overall in terms of jobs the government has actually shrunk under Obama and pay freeze has been in place since 2012.

Last edited:

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Utopianism also finds a receptive audience among societies disenchanted, disaffected, dissatisfied, and maladjusted who are unable to assume responsibility for their own real or perceived conditions but instead blame their surroundings, the system and others.

Kind of like you blaming Bush when the blame rest with Obama.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Utopianism also finds a receptive audience among societies disenchanted, disaffected, dissatisfied, and maladjusted who are unable to assume responsibility for their own real or perceived conditions but instead blame their surroundings, the system and others.

Kind of like you blaming Bush when the blame rest with Obama.

Blame on what.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
1) is it better than or worse than when he took office? Did Reagan fix the U.S. Economy when he was in office? What is your definition of fixed. Every other president has been measured in is it better than when they received it.

"Fixed" and "Improved" are definitely very different terms. This administration has improved several pieces of the economy, but let's be real here..."Fixed the economy" would be like saying "Fixed the environment".

2) tech savvy is his ability to utilize advanced metrics and social networks to solve problems, you should the number of mathematicians and computer scientist working on his campaign. I know this because my friend and I both worked in the campaign, he writing some of the high tech voter mapping software. His election program was a machine, far more advanced than anything before it, it's his ability to use technology to solve problems that makes him tech savvy.

It's all about perspective. By comparison, Bush was the most tech savvy president at the time, given that Clinton had sent a total of TWO emails in his entire term. Obama enjoys a very thriving technological world, and has enjoyed a very large expanse of technology during his term/s. As the years go on, Obama's tech savviness will look archaic to the next guy, and the guy after that. Like I said, perspective...it's not like Obama was in the captains chair of this technology boom, he just enjoyed it like each president before and after him did/will.

3) all presidents do not actively engage the youth, that's a ridiculous claim, Obama on this is much better, note the ability to raise so much money from youth contributors . Look man you give this man no credit ever and that's just ridiculous.

I never took any credit away from Obama for being engaging to youth...I said all presidents are engaging towards youth, and it's true...it's one of the most useful ways of creating future voters by engaging them when they are young, planting seeds if you will. I just feel that youth engagement is something all presidents do as a basic essential of being the president, and the others did just as good a job as Obama.

The rest are opinion comments of the poster as they are opinions not much I can prove or disprove , except for the troops, Iraq we were completely out , Afghanistan reduced numbers, Obama switching to a precision war, as opposed to total war, using drones , spec ops, advisors , etc ... There by getting results with limited engagement reducing cost and lives lost. A scalpel vs a sword and this IMHO is way you must deal with 21st century threats not named Russia or China.

Again, reducing the number and "pulling out" are not equal. Also, this references back to technology...as our technology increases in precision, so do our tools of war and abilities to follow the comment you made about scalpel's vs. swords. If the technology of today were available to any of the previous presidents, we'd see a drastic lowering of lives lost and even human involvement PERIOD. This isn't Obama's secret ability, this is just, again, something he is enjoying because he happens to be the president at this time.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
"Fixed" and "Improved" are definitely very different terms. This administration has improved several pieces of the economy, but let's be real here..."Fixed the economy" would be like saying "Fixed the environment".

It's all about perspective. By comparison, Bush was the most tech savvy president at the time, given that Clinton had sent a total of TWO emails in his entire term. Obama enjoys a very thriving technological world, and has enjoyed a very large expanse of technology during his term/s. As the years go on, Obama's tech savviness will look archaic to the next guy, and the guy after that. Like I said, perspective...it's not like Obama was in the captains chair of this technology boom, he just enjoyed it like each president before and after him did/will.

I never took any credit away from Obama for being engaging to youth...I said all presidents are engaging towards youth, and it's true...it's one of the most useful ways of creating future voters by engaging them when they are young, planting seeds if you will. I just feel that youth engagement is something all presidents do as a basic essential of being the president, and the others did just as good a job as Obama.

Again, reducing the number and "pulling out" are not equal. Also, this references back to technology...as our technology increases in precision, so do our tools of war and abilities to follow the comment you made about scalpel's vs. swords. If the technology of today were available to any of the previous presidents, we'd see a drastic lowering of lives lost and even human involvement PERIOD. This isn't Obama's secret ability, this is just, again, something he is enjoying because he happens to be the president at this time.

Would you say Reagan fixed the economy or improved the economy? And Obama objectively speaking has done more ... Where is the praise for Obama as it was for Reagan?

Clinton was far more tech savvy than Bush, and more specifically his administration and Al Gore, the running joke about him inventing the Internet was wrong but Al Gore was instrumental to its development, see the letter by Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf, Some of the fathers of Internet specifically development of TCP/IP, tech savvy doesn't mean personal use it means understanding and usage of technology as it applies to political initiative.

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~fessler/misc/funny/gore,net.txt

Listen lots of people drive cars, very few people drive like Jimmie Johnson. Saying that all presidents engage the youth is like saying many people drive. Obama is exceptional at youth engagement especially objectively speaking, youth donations, party sign up, volunteers, so was Reagan (young republicans movement) for that matter, maybe it was his Hollywood roots, but could you compare gW bush SR. Youth engagement to Obamas? Absolutely, not.

Like I said when Obamas presidency is over people will be tripping over themselves saying how great he was, and forget conversation like this. Objectively speaking Obama is exceptional and has done an exceptional job period, the credit will come. Even by you mark my words. The wave of nostalgia, the need to fear will be removed because he'll be out of office, and this will be the key difference. Like I said Ali is loved today, a great champion, a great American, with his own Museum everyone forgets today he was hated at one point.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I never expressed my taste/distaste for Obama, so it's funny that you'd assume such with the comment "Even by you."

Personally, I think all presidents are pawns...I have no real attachment to any of them because in my opinion, they are all just facades. As a person, President Obama seems like a great guy...respectful, engaging and particularly well spoken at times...but honestly, none of my responses were in light of what I think of Obama, but more response to the comments A895 made which I found humorous...with the exception of the youth engagement...I'll simply bow away from that comment as me being inaccurate because I don't have the where with all to look up facts to support my opinion in that regard.

My retort about tech savviness was also in response to A895, who does not share your idea of what it means, and was reflecting it as a personal thing (proven by his response about giving the queen an iPod). Clinton actually WASN'T tech savvy at all, self admitted by him when asked about using blackberry's back during the Bush administration...he said he was "old school", and regarded his love for his saxophone as something that keeps him limited to the electronic world. Doesn't mean his administration wasn't on the forefront of tech...as you said, Gore was instrumental in the creation of the modern internet...but again, this was not the context of the discussion had between me and A895 before you chimed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.