Obama will go down as an exceptional president

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you serious? There was a bright spark of space exploration by the private sector, are you mad? The private sector had no interest in space exploration anytime in the immediate future because right now the cost is just a bad financial investment. It wasn't until 2000s that to was considered and it wasn't until NASA investment that it was tried.

NASA pushed the initiative period, it didn't pour gas on it, the initiative happened because of NASA. The government didn't just shut the shuttle space program down, it still exists. The people is simply didn't want to pay for current cost to launch shuttle. And we needed a new shuttle which won't be ready until 2015-2018. In 2006 NASA essentially created the private sector when they offered 500 million to any company that could show a viable ISS re supply service. Russia started selling its services by the way from their government program. You are rewriting history. Today there are more private companies companies because NASA is offering the money and needs the service until the new shuttle comes on board in 2015.

A commercial privatized space program is on its infancy period. It's far from a tinder box or close to being a flame. Like I said in capitalism if there is no money to be made people won't do it, and right now there is huge entry cost and little money to be made.

I'm not re-writing anything, you're being way over dramatic about your opinion on what the level of interest was...to me, it was significant, if you feel otherwise, that's fine, but it's still simply your opinion.

As far as investments go...Elon Musk invested $100 million of his own money into Space X...and while that is a drop in the bucket compared to $50 Billion, it's also a single investor. I'd say that's pretty substantial, given the complete lack of private investment as the NASA space program developed over the latter part of the 20th century.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey seanhrcc, I want you to do me favor run an experiment , go to your local Walmart and pick up a gun off the shelf shopping and let's see if you can checkout like a normal person without taking a bullet.

Cops shot man at Walmart, then interrogated girlfriend - CNN.com

Q93TOT0.gif

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You know, putting aside whether you think this was a legitimate shooting or not...who in their right mind would think walking around with this gun in a Walmart in the fashion that he did is a good idea? I would hope that most people would use common sense and understand the kind of attention this would draw, and what COULD happen if confronted with law enforcement, regardless of your opinion on their aggressiveness...

30117_2.jpg

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not re-writing anything, you're being way over dramatic about your opinion on what the level of interest was...to me, it was significant, if you feel otherwise, that's fine, but it's still simply your opinion.

As far as investments go...Elon Musk invested $100 million of his own money into Space X...and while that is a drop in the bucket compared to $50 Billion, it's also a single investor. I'd say that's pretty substantial, given the complete lack of private investment as the NASA space program developed over the latter part of the 20th century.

I never said the level interest wasnt there , I said the capital expenditure was not, because from a business standpoint its a bad investment. The cost to launch something into space is huge, so regardless of interest , from capitalism standpoint. You won't have investors.

Elon musk invested $100 million to win the prize and contract for a prize that NASA created. And $100 million isn't remotely enough to build a spaceship. If no offer from NASA plus additional capital it create the COTS program then Leon musk wouldn't have bothered. Why wasn't there investment before NASA announced their program. NASA was the catalyst it's not like some company said hey NASA we have a great idea we spent all this money let me show you what we've done, do want to buy it.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
You know, putting aside whether you think this was a legitimate shooting or not...who in their right mind would think walking around with this gun in a Walmart in the fashion that he did is a good idea? I would hope that most people would use common sense and understand the kind of attention this would draw, and what COULD happen if confronted with law enforcement, regardless of your opinion on their aggressiveness...

http://www.crosman.com/img/products/full/30117_2.jpg

I don't know, someone buying it, he wasn't walking around he was picked it up off the shelf, and was **** in the aisle he found it. Remember when they shot that guy who had a similar gun in a school ! Oh wait they didn't they talked to him and he was actually trying to do harm. You figure out the difference between the two people.

You think the cops would shoot you first or talk to you?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I never said the level interest wasnt there , I said the capital expenditure was not, because from a business standpoint its a bad investment. The cost to launch something into space is huge, so regardless of interest , from capitalism standpoint. You won't have investors.

Elon musk invested $100 million to win the prize and contract for a prize that NASA created. And $100 million isn't remotely enough to build a spaceship. If no offer from NASA plus additional capital it create the COTS program then Leon musk wouldn't have bothered. Why wasn't there investment before NASA announced their program. NASA was the catalyst it's not like some company said hey NASA we have a great idea we spent all this money let me show you what we've done, do want to buy it.

You make a lot of really bold assumptions as to people's interest and agendas when it comes to things that you aren't even remotely a part of. It's kind of weird...we have this guy, Elon Musk, who has invested more money than what any 100 of us on this website will ever see in our lifetimes, and you infer that it's insignificant and would have never happened had an ultimate monetary gain not been on the line. I mean if that is your opinion, that's all fine and good...but don't represent that drivel as fact.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, someone buying it, he wasn't walking around he was picked it up off the shelf, and was **** in the aisle he found it. Remember when they shot that guy who had a similar gun in a school ! Oh wait they didn't they talked to him and he was actually trying to do harm. You figure out the difference between the two people.

You think the cops would shoot you first or talk to you?

You've got tunnel vision my friend. That is the only way I can explain this response you just made. The guy was literally walking around an entire section of Walmart with this gun that was obviously not in it's appropriate packaging...he was holding it in various positions which were NOT reflective of someone who was just ready to buy it...

Here's the video in case you haven't watched it...

New Video Shows John Crawford Fatally Shot By Police In Walmart

...a term you should familiarize yourself with is "brandishing". This is something he was doing clearly in this video...which for most common people would cause alarm or at the very least make them curious what he was doing.

Now you've asked me to predict the future by answering if I thought the cops would shoot me or talk to me first...it's impossible for me to answer that question...they very well may shoot me on site if I was doing the same thing, or they may talk me down. I wouldn't ever be in that situation myself, so I won't ever be able to answer your question, and you can't either, though you like to imply that because I'm white, something different would happen (which is another reason why I stopped the earlier discussion we were having...and why I feel this one will be short lived as well).

It would be impossible for a LEO to assess what kind of rifle that is in the time it takes to have someone (who is already brandishing the gun) to turn on you and start firing, leaving you dead. Police have to make significant decisions in limited time periods under stressful conditions...they made a choice to shoot him...and you feel it was because he was black, he wasn't afforded "time" to explain the situation or deescalate the scenario...and that a white person would probably experience a different scenario. That's ignorance man...pure, narrow minded, bigoted ignorance.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
You've got tunnel vision my friend. That is the only way I can explain this response you just made. The guy was literally walking around an entire section of Walmart with this gun that was obviously not in it's appropriate packaging...he was holding it in various positions which were NOT reflective of someone who was just ready to buy it...

Here's the video in case you haven't watched it...

New Video Shows John Crawford Fatally Shot By Police In Walmart

...a term you should familiarize yourself with is "brandishing". This is something he was doing clearly in this video...which for most common people would cause alarm or at the very least make them curious what he was doing.

Now you've asked me to predict the future by answering if I thought the cops would shoot me or talk to me first...it's impossible for me to answer that question...they very well may shoot me on site if I was doing the same thing, or they may talk me down. I wouldn't ever be in that situation myself, so I won't ever be able to answer your question, and you can't either, though you like to imply that because I'm white, something different would happen (which is another reason why I stopped the earlier discussion we were having...and why I feel this one will be short lived as well).

It would be impossible for a LEO to assess what kind of rifle that is in the time it takes to have someone (who is already brandishing the gun) to turn on you and start firing, leaving you dead. Police have to make significant decisions in limited time periods under stressful conditions...they made a choice to shoot him...and you feel it was because he was black, he wasn't afforded "time" to explain the situation or deescalate the scenario...and that a white person would probably experience a different scenario. That's ignorance man...pure, narrow minded, bigoted ignorance.

Really brandishing?? Did you watch the video. He picks up a pellet gun from the gun section of Walmart, he's carrying it at his side, and you think if he were an Asian guy the cops would first think wow some Asian guy is in here carrying a gun to do harm? He's carrying it at his side , doesn't point it at anyone. Let's get real man it's because he was black and blackmen are by default thought to be a threat that it happened. Tunnel vision you just can't admit the biased

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9FtNOV6Qhk

http://wjcl.com/2014/09/16/georgia-man-gets-20-years-for-atlanta-school-shooting/

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Did you ignore the part of the video where he was clearly brandishing the rifle and waving it all around, even when other shoppers were walking near him?

You WANT this to be a racial thing...there's no logical discussion to be had with you. At the end of the day, if you want to refrain from getting shot by police, don't walk around a Walmart waving around a rifle that even most gun experts couldn't assess in a few seconds in such a situation.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Did you ignore the part of the video where he was clearly brandishing the rifle and waving it all around, even when other shoppers were walking near him?

You WANT this to be a racial thing...there's no logical discussion to be had with you. At the end of the day, if you want to refrain from getting shot by police, don't walk around a Walmart waving around a rifle that even most gun experts couldn't assess in a few seconds in such a situation.

No I don't want it to be. I just want you to admit society isn't color blind. And blacks and whites are viewed differently.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

That?s right. Apparently, even being a police officer isn?t enough to keep a young black man from getting killed by a white cop. Edwards was out of uniform on a plainclothes detail ? an earlier Daily News report said he was ?off-duty? ? and chasing down an actual crime suspect whom he?d caught breaking into a car.

Officer Andrew Dunton saw the chase, and called out, ?Police! Stop! Drop it!? When Edwards started to turn around but failed to drop his gun quickly enough, Dunton shot him three times. It happened on Good Friday, May 9th, 2009, and more recent incidents of excessive lethal force by police against black men proves we?ve learned little or nothing since then. Edwards was only 27 years old, and left behind his wife Danielle and their two young sons.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

https://news.vice.com/article/offic...e-police-arrest-tase-woman-for-recording-them

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No I don't want it to be. I just want you to admit society isn't color blind. And blacks and whites are viewed differently.

You view blacks and whites differently. That's your problem. You "don't want it to be"...that's like a fat guy saying he doesn't want to be fat yet he keeps up the same eating habits that got him there.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey look! I can post news stories too...

Salt Lake cop cleared in shooting of unarmed white man | WREG.com

...like I said before, if you want to view it as a racial thing, that's your problem. This kid was being resistive, disorderly and he made an action that caused the officer to make a decision. Don't want to end up shot by a cop in this scenario? Don't resist arrest and reach for your waist band when an LEO has a firearm pointed at you.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Don't want to end up shot by a cop in this scenario? Don't resist arrest and reach for your waist band when an LEO has a firearm pointed at you.

I cannot believe how stupid people are, no matter their color, when they resist arrest. You're only making things worse for yourself even if you don't end up shot. Way to add resisting arrest as another probable cause. I mentioned the same thing about the chinese lady that got arrested in that iPhone 6 line in New York in the thread that the video it was posted in a couple of months ago. I'm absolutely stunned at how much people are uninformed about this. If you feel you were wronged, you'll have your day in court. What the hell good does it do to resist arrest, let alone just follow an officer's instructions.

The only time I even came close to being arrested was 13 years ago when I was 18 years old. And I wouldn't even call it close. I happened to be a spectator at a street race. The sheriff made me and my friend lean on his car while he searched my car for my paperwork even when I could have just done that myself lol. I was young but wasn't going to be stupid enough to resist anything. He let us go because he wasn't going to waste time. He just saw that I was young, had no record, and just wanted to put a little scare into me. I had my friend there as a witness if something stupid happened (as well as another friend who knew we were in trouble and didn't bail on us and instead kept passing by making sure things were cool). As far as I see it, I was able to rest my hands on a hot car on a cold night and ended up throwing some papers away since he made a mess of what I was too lazy to clean up anyway. How stupid would one have to be to resist any of that?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people live by the idea that if one cop falsely detained/arrested/killed someone one time...that all cops falsely detain/arrest/kill people ALL the time. It's mind numbing.

The wonderful thing about this ignorant movement though is the fact that a major push for officer uniform cameras is becoming a real thing. All these people who think this is going to finally make officers accountable for their actions don't realize that they're actually shooting themselves in the foot, and the scenario (which is FAR more common) where someone is doing something dumb and an officer gives them a pass in hopes they change their ways will no longer happen, and every situation will become a cut and dry scenario, if the camera catches you, you're getting charged.

I think it's also going to really help officers show these people who jump into the mob mentality that these "martyrs" they keep creating are far from such. The problem with that is the people who follow such mentalities would disregard clear evidence in their face to maintain their agenda.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

I posted the video where did he wave it at anyone or brandish it. What would have been the appropriate way to carry it? An item for purchase

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
A lot of people live by the idea that if one cop falsely detained/arrested/killed someone one time...that all cops falsely detain/arrest/kill people ALL the time. It's mind numbing.

I don't believe that at all. As I mentioned my brother is in the force. I do believe in trends , it is not to say that every case is one way or the other, just like we can't say Everyman is taller than everywoman but on average men are taller than women. And really the issue is not about cops shooting blacks, it's about how society inherently treats and views blacks. Again systematic ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh