Why is the climate change debate a political one in the United States?

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I bet you believe MSNBC is a viable news source... The National Enquirer has been correct on things, and whacked on others...

No... I am using data from:

• National Snow and Ice Data Center
  • NASA
  • Polar Ice Center
  • University of Washington
  • National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • World Meteorological Organization

... and you got the DailyMail a British tabloid.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
No... I am using data from:

• National Snow and Ice Data Center
  • NASA
  • Polar Ice Center
  • University of Washington
  • National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • World Meteorological Organization

... and you got the DailyMail a British tabloid.

They all serve the left-wing effort to promote their political propaganda of climate change . It's a left-wing conspiracy ...

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
They all serve the left-wing effort to promote their political propaganda of climate change . It's a left-wing conspiracy ...

No, denying the climate change is the right wing conspiracy. The change is real. The majority of climate scientists and major research organizations agree on that. But hey, it's a free country - somewhat - so deny it all you want. The beauty of modern school education in the US is that it doesn't really provide a broad systematic knowledge and appreciation of scientific approach to solving complex problems, but it does greatly boost self esteem.

The problem is in defining just what's causing the global warming, what is the mechanism of change, and what can people do to slow it down or stop it.

I happen to believe that (1) there's much more at play than just human activity - although human activity definitely contributes to the issue (2) the mechanism is still poorly understood and requires much more research (3) no single country can make a difference alone, and there will be no real concerted effort to do anything - China / Brazil / India / Indonesia / etc. will not put brakes on their developing economies, Canada and Russia actually stand to benefit from the warmer climate, and the US will not commit economic suicide alone. Europe will actually be doing something because they have a strong green lobby that has long ago pushed for stricter environmental regulations (so much of the money has already been spent and they are well ahead of most other countries) plus they don't really have that much manufacturing remaining, with exception of Germany and some parts of Eastern Europe. For them, forcing everyone else into stricter emission / energy consumption standards will be both doing the right thing and leveling the playing field by utilizing the advantage they already have. But I doubt that they would agree to drastically stricter standards than what they have today, either.

Plus, look at what we know of the climate... several Ice Ages that came and went without any human involvement, the warm spells in between, the Greenland that was actually green in the times of Eric the Red, then came the Little Ice Age around late Middle Ages / early Renaissance - too early for any human contribution; nature is a powerful force all by itself.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there is climate change.

Humans are not the cause... The climate has changed cyclically since the dawn of time, and human activity can't do thing one about it in any meaningful way. What did humans do that caused the last ice age? What did humans do to end the ice age?

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Humans are not the cause... The climate has changed cyclically since the dawn of time, and human activity can't do thing one about it in any meaningful way. What did humans do that caused the last ice age? What did humans do to end the ice age?

Bravo....Bravo!!

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
"Environmentalism as the new face of communism"

Another wow.... just wow.

To quote rush Limbaugh

"" climate change as a ‘hoax’. people who are promoting man made global warming are a bunch of frauds. They are liberals, they lie. It’s not a generalization. It is an undeniable truth of life.”

Disclaimer: I have not listen to Rush in years. This quote is from an interview a few years back. I was reading a article on "Climate change" the other day and he was quoted in the article.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Climate change can happen naturally without human intervention:

- Changes in the Earth's orbit
- Changes in the sun's energy
- Photosynthesis
- Increased Volcanic eruptions

These activities alone do not account for the amount of climate change we are presently seeing nor does it account for the rapidity of the change. Greenhouse gases cause atmospheric warming. Dumping million of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere everyday isn't without consequences.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
To quote rush Limbaugh

"" climate change as a ‘hoax’. people who are promoting man made global warming are a bunch of frauds. They are liberals, they lie. It’s not a generalization. It is an undeniable truth of life.”

Disclaimer: I have not listen to Rush in years. This quote is from an interview a few years back. I was reading a article on "Climate change" the other day and he was quoted in the article.

Did Limbaugh say that before he was a drug addict, while he was an addict or after?

I bet while he was an addict.

Last edited:

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Rush is a lying moron with hidden agenda, just like Michael Moore. They could be brothers.

There definitely is a human component to the latest great change in climate. I am just not convinced that this could be blamed on human activity alone, or even that it is the major contributor; and I am 100% convinced that, short of a total catastrophe, there is no global political will to do anything.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Here in the US, there's rabid anti-warming propaganda, driven by corporations that are afraid of being forced into excessively strict environmental standards. The sad thing is, if we had a honest country wide discussion on what the proposed environmental strategy to combat global warming should be, how much we really know, how much we can hope to achieve, how much real support can we expect to see from other countries, and what would this mean for our economy in the short and long run, chances are they would get what they want anyway.

I don't think we can do much alone, I am sure we won't see real commitment from other major global players, and I am sure the effect on US economy would be extremely negative with little if any real impact on climate. The idiots like Rush only mask the real problem and make the rest of us look stupid.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Naysayers to Climate Change need to quit posting before more people lose respect for you, and your opinions. I don't care how many hours of sitting in front of a TV watching The FOX News Channel it took to for you to become this ignorant, but it doesn't change the fact that climate change is a very real threat that is upon us all right now! The signs of this are everywhere, but common sense alone should tell you that its all too easy to mine, pollute, deforest, drill, overpopulate, radiate, and abuse our planet into oblivion...
VICE on HBO Debrief: Greenland is Melting - YouTube

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
It's like the gun control debate... The anti-gun crowd calls for more and more laws (which only impact law abiding citizens since criminals aren't obeying them anyway) and are trying hard to outlaw the "scary" assault rifles that are used in less than .5 % of murders annually; the Pro crowd talks about armed militia as if they are just about to launch a Constitution guerrilla movement with their pistols and hunting rifles against tanks and drones; both sides carefully avoid talking about real problems - who commits most murders and why, and what's the plan to disarm _that_ segment of the population before disarming the everyday Joe with kids and dogs.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Naysayers to Climate Change need to quit posting before more people lose respect for you, and your opinions. I don't care how many hours of sitting in front of a TV watching The FOX News Channel it took to for you to become this ignorant, but it doesn't change the fact that climate change is a very real threat that is upon us all right now! The signs of this are everywhere, but common sense alone should tell you that its all too easy to mine, pollute, deforest, drill, overpopulate, radiate, and abuse our planet into oblivion...
VICE on HBO Debrief: Greenland is Melting - YouTube

Proof of the liberal political agenda.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73