worst president in modern times

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Libertarianism

Libertarians believe in individual liberty, personal responsibility and freedom from government – on all issues at all times…Wrong A libertarian is someone who thinks you should be free to live your life as you want to live it, not as [the President of the United States] thinks you should Wrong...what lies– who believes you should raise your children by your values, not those of some far-off bureaucrat who’s using your child as a pawn to create some brave new world Wrong welfare state – who thinks that, because you’re the one who gets up every day and goes to work, you should be free to keep every dollar you earn, to spend it, save it, give it away as you think best. Wrong tax after tax after tax from the Democrats.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
So are you saying we should suck it up and keep it moving? Take one on the chin?

You should react to how YOU are being treated NOW. Not now your people were treated 150 years ago. Otherwise this will just never end, because by now both sides have some valid historic grievances. Maybe we could learn from some other places where they managed to start from a clean slate for the common good.

Just look at Europe. Germans killed millions of people, mass murder of civilians, eliminated over 80% of European Jews, the German civilians were in turn carpet bombed by the Allies, mass raped by the Soviets, all of this happened in a very short period - just 5 years. Millions of people dead, tens of millions displaced, starved, enslaved, and everyone had someone else to blame.

Look at them now. The Jews never forgot the past and are keeping the memory of Holocaust alive yet at the same time they have great relations with Germany and don't hold the individual Germans alive today responsible for what their grandfathers did just 70 years ago. The same with French, Germans, Poles etc., they won't forget the past and hopefully won't let it repeat, but they moved on and everybody benefitted from it.

Or look at Lebanon, Yugoslavia, Rwanda and so on, where they were unable to let go and whichever group temporarily took power made the other group pay for the past "crimes" real or perceived. The only people benefitting from this were the dirty politicians.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I agree. It is sad that everything has to do with race now. Why can't we view a person based on their qualifications and achievements? Why is race, Religion, sexual orientation, and so on always a factor?

Because people are naturally biased and can't always separate their beliefs from what the world is. Race does play a factor into some things but not everything.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Just look at Europe. Germans killed millions of people, mass murder of civilians, eliminated over 80% of European Jews, the German civilians were in turn carpet bombed by the Allies, mass raped by the Soviets, all of this happened in a very short period - just 5 years. Millions of people dead, tens of millions displaced, starved, enslaved, and everyone had someone else to blame.

Look at them now. The Jews never forgot the past and are keeping the memory of Holocaust alive yet at the same time they have great relations with Germany and don't hold the individual Germans alive today responsible for what their grandfathers did just 70 years ago. The same with French, Germans, Poles etc., they won't forget the past and hopefully won't let it repeat, but they moved on and everybody benefitted from it.

A little off topic.. Where did all that hate go? Did it just disappear because the U.S. defeated Nazi Germany and Japan?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
That 20+ (actually it's been going on for 40+) years is whole of my life, and for most of the people alive today. Besides, what moral right do you have to hold ALL white people responsible for what some groups of white people did several centuries ago ? A Pole, a Finn, a German, an Austrian arriving in the US in the XX century would have no historic connection with slavery, none whatsoever. To blame them for what French, English and Dutch descendants did, based solely on the color of their skin, is pure racism.

You missed the most important point here. While the French, English and Dutch brought slaves here they would not have been able to if their own people, the Africans, were selling them into slavery. That is the point, don't blame the white man for what your own people did to your ancestors. This isn't racist, it's the truth.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
You should react to how YOU are being treated NOW. Not now your people were treated 150 years ago. Otherwise this will just never end, because by now both sides have some valid historic grievances. Maybe we could learn from some other places where they managed to start from a clean slate for the common good.

Or look at Lebanon, Yugoslavia, Rwanda and so on, where they were unable to let go and whichever group temporarily took power made the other group pay for the past "crimes" real or perceived. The only people benefitting from this were the dirty politicians.

In one of my classes when I was in college, I don't remember which, we learned that Jews and Native Americans are the two most discriminated against groups of people in history. What happened to the Jews is far worse that what happened with slavery. Besides, it was their own people selling them into slavery and they need to remember that.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

What you are not understanding, is that what happened all those years ago single handily changed the course for an entire race of people. Do you not think the reverberations of such an action would not still be felt today?

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Libertarianism

Libertarians believe in individual liberty, personal responsibility and freedom from government ? on all issues at all times?Wrong A libertarian is someone who thinks you should be free to live your life as you want to live it, not as [the President of the United States] thinks you should Wrong...what lies? who believes you should raise your children by your values, not those of some far-off bureaucrat who?s using your child as a pawn to create some brave new world Wrong welfare state ? who thinks that, because you?re the one who gets up every day and goes to work, you should be free to keep every dollar you earn, to spend it, save it, give it away as you think best. Wrong tax after tax after tax from the Democrats.

My biggest problem with Libertarians is that I see their views on economy as extremely naive.

The "free market" is a myth. The history has proven to us that without government regulation, there's a period of free competition, then in the course of natural selection a few monopolies arise, suffocate all competition, close off and divide the market and fix prices. This was happening at the turn of XX century already. I don't need to have a better product than yours if I am so much bigger I can either buy you outright, or destroy you with price dumping / credit denial / exclusive contracts between cartels etc.

Regulation is a necessary evil, too much of it and it becomes suffocating, too little or wrong regulation and monopolies step in to fill the power void. Regulation is like fertilizer, it even smells like manure ;).

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You missed the most important point here. While the French, English and Dutch brought slaves here they would not have been able to if their own people, the Africans, were selling them into slavery. That is the point, don't blame the white man for what your own people did to your ancestors. This isn't racist, it's the truth.

White people were the ones who put them on the ships, paid for them, used them for slave labor for over 100+ years, discriminated against them, and then denied them basic rights when they were the ones who easily could have said "nah, we don't want to enslave humans for free labor".

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
In one of my classes when I was in college, I don't remember which, we learned that Jews and Native Americans are the two most discriminated against groups of people in history. What happened to the Jews is far worse that what happened with slavery. Besides, it was their own people selling them into slavery and they need to remember that.

Please stop.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
What you are not understanding, is that what happened all those years ago single handily changed the course for an entire race of people. Do you not think the reverberations of such an action would not still be felt today?

And what about Jews ? Or do you think that having 80% of your people starved to death, burned alive, gassed in camps for no reason at all, over a period of only five years, is a somehow less traumatic experience ? What about Germans (lost somewhere near 20% of population to war and starvation in the life of one generation, country divided and half of it enslaved by a communist dictatorship) ? Did not these events single handily change the course for the entire nation ?

Why aren't they attacking, beating, murdering others out of "resentment" ? Why aren't the Jews calling for affirmative action in Europe ? I am sure there are "reverberations" today, but why are they so profoundly different in character ?

Perhaps because they don't have millions of poor, uneducated, angry people that a Jewish or German version of Al Sharpton could exploit for their political gain as long as they stay poor, uneducated and angry ? Think about this.

I am all for "never again" mentality, but I am against fighting past injustices with present injustice.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
White people were the ones who put them on the ships, paid for them, used them for slave labor for over 100+ years, discriminated against them, and then denied them basic rights when they were the ones who easily could have said "nah, we don't want to enslave humans for free labor".

Yet it was the Africans who sold them to the aforementioned White people. It isn't like the Europeans kidnapped them and took them to North America and Europe. Without the Africans selling the people into slavery there wouldn't have been a slave movement.
If you know your American History, you might know about the American Colonization Society, supported by Abraham Lincoln. I will attempt to summarize a two hour history lecture into less than a paragraph. It was a movement to relocate the blacks back to Africa. They settled in what is now known as Liberia. Upon arriving in Liberia the former slaves enslaved the native Liberians.
Off topic, but I just logged onto here with a computer for the first time in years...it looks like I need to update my signature!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
And what about Jews ? Or do you think that having 80% of your people starved to death, burned alive, gassed in camps for no reason at all, over a period of only five years, is a somehow less traumatic experience ? What about Germans (lost somewhere near 20% of population to war and starvation in the life of one generation, country divided and half of it enslaved by a communist dictatorship) ? Did not these events single handily change the course for the entire nation ?

Why aren't they attacking, beating, murdering others out of "resentment" ? Why aren't the Jews calling for affirmative action in Europe ? I am sure there are "reverberations" today, but why are they so profoundly different in character ?

Perhaps because they don't have millions of poor, uneducated, angry people that a Jewish or German version of Al Sharpton could exploit for their political gain as long as they stay poor, uneducated and angry ? Think about this.

I am all for "never again" mentality, but I am against fighting past injustices with present injustice.

The people that Hitler attacked were mostly white. I am sure that this probably has to do with why people, for the most part, don't care. Again, this isn't racism, it is the truth. I am against all types of racism and believe that it needs to stop.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I am sorry, but you just don't understand:

There has been a systemic subjugation of the black people of America

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yet it was the Africans who sold them to the aforementioned White people. It isn't like the Europeans kidnapped them and took them to North America and Europe. Without the Africans selling the people into slavery there wouldn't have been a slave movement.
If you know your American History, you might know about the American Colonization Society, supported by Abraham Lincoln. I will attempt to summarize a two hour history lecture into less than a paragraph. It was a movement to relocate the blacks back to Africa. They settled in what is now known as Liberia. Upon arriving in Liberia the former slaves enslaved the native Liberians.
Off topic, but I just logged onto here with a computer for the first time in years...it looks like I need to update my signature!

I know all about the black colonization of liberia, and it has zero to do with what I am talking about. Are you saying that black people should have went back to Africa if it was so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal