What is a nest migration?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit, when Pokemon Go first came out, I was all over it. Played it quite a bit, in fact. But the amusement has worn off for me, partly because I felt like a zombie walking around parks and other areas in my city... and for exercise I enjoy going for a run and listening to music... so I'm sticking with that :p

But I digress. I'm so out of touch with PG it seems, what the heck is a nest migration?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That's an easy one. Certain Pokémon show up in certain areas, more than others. Occasionally Niantic moves these common areas for Pokémon. For example, during a layover in Salt Lake City I caught a lot of Swinub, after the migration there were no Swinub to be found there on a later layover.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Got it. So it basically moves around the 'spawning' points in the game? Think they used to have kind of a 'rustling leaves' graphic and pokemon would frequently appear near them? (not sure if that's still the case)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Essentially yes. It's only called a nest because of the number of that Pokémon that spawn in that area. As far as rustling grass goes, I never noticed that had anything to do with Pokémon spawns. I believe people just noticed it when a random spawn occurred. I may be wrong though, I just never noticed a correlation myself.