Pokemon go killing battery life

adamjackson

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Pokemon go has recently been draining my battery like crazy, even with low power mode on along with battery saver in the in game settings my phone goes from 100% fully charged to 0% within 4 hours of playing, even less if I'm doing a lot of gym battles. I find it very difficult to play when it eats through my battery this fast, is this normal or is it time to invest in a new phone/new battery? I have an iPhone 6 which I've had for just over a year if that makes a difference. Any help is appreciated.
Tags: [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
You probably have some other app that's draining battery too. Yes, Pok?mon Go is battery intensive however you should get more than four hours. On my 6s I was able to play for I would say, 5-6 hours to get from 100% battery to 30%.

There a couple things to check and consider though,

1. Do you have good signal strength where you're playing?
2. Go to Settings > Battery and see what's using the most battery life out of your apps. Be sure to click the clock like icon to see what's using the most battery life for the last 7 days.
3. If you use Facebook and have the Facebook app, force close it, every time. Facebook likes to kill your battery even in the background.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
As people told you. Pokemon drains your battery so the better you can do is close the background apps to save battery.

Closing background apps (I assume you mean force-quitting them) doesn’t save battery; in fact, it has the opposite effect.

Apple and Google have both confirmed this.

Here’s an excerpt from that article:

“On both Android and iOS, algorithms run memory management. They’ll close apps that need to be closed, typically ones that have been dormant for a while or are using more power or memory than they should. And they’re very good at knowing when you’re going to need data, or want a refresh, or open an app again. Apps that are already in memory open quickly, rather than having to fully start again; it’s like waking your computer from sleep rather than rebooting it completely. You’re far, far better off letting the system work for you rather than forcing it to re-open and re-start everything every time. Battery questions aside, it makes your phone slower and less coherent."

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As people told you. Pokemon drains your battery so the better you can do is close the background apps to save battery.

Force closing apps doesn't help battery. What eats your battery are push notifications, location services, and screen brightness.

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
if you've done everything possible to help you save battery life and still you find it inconvenient especially when you're playing outside endlessly, like what happens to me most of the time, i suggest you buy a powerbank with a high capacity. my iphone's battery behaves similarly like everyone else's, but unwanted phone activities are bound to happen, e.i. calls, texts, facebook, other apps, and it sure helps drain my battery even faster, so a powerbank will surely be a great help for you. :)