Ask me about Pok?mon Go!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Pok?mon GO?s official Twitter account recently Tweeted, ?Trainers, did you know that Pok?mon can now be discovered by viewing Gyms? New Pok?mon are logged in your Pok?dex!?

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/784557675598245890

I?m not exactly understanding this. What it sounds like it?s saying is that simply by swiping through the list of Defenders at a particular gym, if I view a Pok?mon that I don?t currently have, he gets added to my Pok?dex. But that seems too good to be true.

How do you interpret that Tweet, @metllicamilitia?

It sounds like it'll follow the cartridge games. It will count it as seen and not as caught, and therefore will not add the Pok?dex data. The same way a Pok?mon is added if you try to catch it and it runs or you run out of Pok?ball's.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
The attack power doesn't factor into appraisals, appraisals tell you the value of stats that you can't see. The attack power comes into play only in battle, if you have two Pok?mon who's only difference is IV's (the appraisal values), then the Pok?mon with the higher IV's would hit harder than than the one with lower IV's.
While we’re on the subject, if I have a Bellsprout that has CP 675 that “is not likely to make much headway in battle, its best attribute is its Attack, and its stats are noticeably trending to the positive” and one with CP 295 that “has certainly caught the my [the team leader’s] attention, its best attribute is its Defense, and its stats exceed my [the team leader’s] calculations and it’s incredible!,” which one should I keep and which one should I Transfer? The higher CP one appears to have poorer IV values than the MUCH lower CP one.

Is there a hard-and-fast answer to this or does the answer depend on what I plan to do with him?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
While we?re on the subject, if I have a Bellsprout that has CP 675 that ?is not likely to make much headway in battle, its best attribute is its Attack, and its stats are noticeably trending to the positive? and one with CP 295 that ?has certainly caught the my [the team leader?s] attention, its best attribute is its Defense, and its stats exceed my [the team leader?s] calculations and it?s incredible!,? which one should I keep and which one should I Transfer? The higher CP one appears to have poorer IV values than the MUCH lower CP one.

Is there a hard-and-fast answer to this or does the answer depend on what I plan to do with him?

It's definitely up to you. Yes the lower CP one has the higher IV's which means it'll hit harder at the CP level with the same attacks. With the defense being the highest stat, it'll be a little to take down than the one with the lower defense IV's.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
It's definitely up to you. Yes the lower CP one has the higher IV's which means it'll hit harder at the CP level with the same attacks. With the defense being the highest stat, it'll be a little to take down than the one with the lower defense IV's.

Thank you kindly for your continued assistance, Met. You’re a stand-up guy.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi metllicamilitia! I have never used the Pidgey Spam Calculator before (https://pokeassistant.com/main/pidgeyspam), but I plan to do so before my next mass evolution. My question is, when I input the number of Pidgeys that I have, should I count the Pidgeottos as Pidgeys? Or should those be calculated separately?

Secondly, should I be Transferring the evolutions as I evolve? It appears that doing so grants more XP.

Thank you so much for your continuing assistance. We are very lucky to have you around to help us!!

For you Evolution junkies, like me, I should point out that the new animation duration is… well, uncertain, but should be roughly 15 - 18 seconds. This was the best answer I could find: on the Pokemon Go Reddit. One user pointed out that “if he recalls correctly, the old evolution animation time was 25 seconds (0.4 minutes)."

I am preparing to do a mass evolution today, I will try to time the new animation duration and update this post accordingly.

Update: I just finished a mass evolution. I can tell you that on an iPhone 6s Plus, the new duration of the evolution animation is 18.57 seconds. I would imagine YMMV slightly if you have a faster or slower phone.

If you use a tool like Pok? Assistant’s “Pidgey Spam Calculator,” then you will obviously need to make some adjustments to the calculations until such time as the site is updated to reflect the new duration (it still assumes a duration of 0.4 minutes per evolution, which is the old duration).

Last edited:

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Mr. metllicamilitia:

Today I joined a friendly gym. I officially became a Defender. Since it is level 10 after my joining, I assume it was level 9 before I joined.

It took me 25-35 minutes. When I left, I had a backache from standing so long in the same place (I didn?t see a place to sit down, and frankly, since the gym is in a somewhat secluded area, I felt safer standing the whole time in case I encountered danger (i.e. someone comming to mug me) so that I could run away without wasting valuable seconds standing up.

So, my question is, does that sound about right? 25-35 minutes of fighting in order to join a friendly gym?

Or does it sound like I?m doing things very inefficiently (i.e. selecting the wrong type of Pok?mon to fight the ones that are in place Defending the gym.

And why was I fighting the same Pok?mon multiple times? I was under the impresion that I only had to defeat each Defender Pok?mon once to ?join the club.?

Thank you kindly for your time and continued help.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Mr. metllicamilitia:

Today I joined a friendly gym. I officially became a Defender. Since it is level 10 after my joining, I assume it was level 9 before I joined.

It took me 25-35 minutes. When I left, I had a backache from standing so long in the same place (I didn?t see a place to sit down, and frankly, since the gym is in a somewhat secluded area, I felt safer standing the whole time in case I encountered danger (i.e. someone comming to mug me) so that I could run away without wasting valuable seconds standing up.

So, my question is, does that sound about right? 25-35 minutes of fighting in order to join a friendly gym?

Or does it sound like I?m doing things very inefficiently (i.e. selecting the wrong type of Pok?mon to fight the ones that are in place Defending the gym.

And why was I fighting the same Pok?mon multiple times? I was under the impresion that I only had to defeat each Defender Pok?mon once to ?join the club.?

Thank you kindly for your time and continued help.

Close, you're training against friendly Pok?mon in the gym adds prestige points to the gym if you defeat them. The more you defeat the more prestige points you earn. The level of the gym determines how many defending Pok?mon the gym may have. As in a level 1 gym can have 1 Pok?mon defending it and a level 10 gym can have 10. The time it takes to raise prestige points in the gym long enough to raise the level depends on what level the gym is at and all the Pok?mon involved. It is also determined based off of whether your training while other trainers are battling. Defeating Pok?mon in an opposing gyms lowers prestige points faster than training raises them. Each level up of a gym also requires more prestige points to raise it to the next level and I believe 10 is the highest level. So that's everything that's factored in gym battles and prestige points for the gym. I would expect to have to spend some time to raise a gym from level 9 to level 10. I hope this helps.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you kindly, sir! And you have confirmed my suspicions that it’s less time-consuming to defeat an opposing gym than to join a friendly team as a Defender. I guess one advantage of joining a gym (and raising it to level 10) is that you can reasonably expect to remain stationed there a few days before an opposing team takes over. It’s not really in the most popular place in the city, so hopefully whoever does pass by and is potential opponent will see the “Level 10” status and that one of the defenders is a CP 2221 Snolax (not mine) will decide not to bother attempting to take us over. I myself stationed a CP 2173 Exeggutor. Although the “initiation" was time-consuming, it will hopefully have been worth it.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I figured instead of flooding the Pok?mon Go page and Q&A page with Pok?mon Go questions, you can ask me, I'll gladly answer any questions you may have.

Should I power up or evolve another?
At the beginning of the game, months ago, I had enough candies to evolve a Dragonite. Obviously I didn't know what I was doing yet because although the Dratini had great stats, "it can battle with the best of them" - it was a very low cp.
So my question...
Would it be worth it to power up a cp466 Dragonite? Mathematically feasible? I have 450k Stardust and I think it would take it all and some. It's move set is Dragon Breath and Hyper Beam so it would be a good one if brought up to the 2000 level but....
Should I evolve another and hope for a good move set or power this one up?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Should I power up or evolve another?
At the beginning of the game, months ago, I had enough candies to evolve a Dragonite. Obviously I didn't know what I was doing yet because although the Dratini had great stats, "it can battle with the best of them" - it was a very low cp.
So my question...
Would it be worth it to power up a cp466 Dragonite? Mathematically feasible? I have 450k Stardust and I think it would take it all and some. It's move set is Dragon Breath and Hyper Beam so it would be a good one if brought up to the 2000 level but....
Should I evolve another and hope for a good move set or power this one up?

It's really all person preference. The only way to really save stardust/candy is to catch or hatch a CP Dratini. Outside of that you're still going to use a lot of stardust/candy to level them up. Really the odds are stacked against you when trying to catch a CP Pok?mon with high IV's.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It's really all person preference. The only way to really save stardust/candy is to catch or hatch a CP Dratini. Outside of that you're still going to use a lot of stardust/candy to level them up. Really the odds are stacked against you when trying to catch a CP Pok?mon with high IV's.

I'm still not sure what to do ... but I think you said it would be better to wait and power up a higher cp Dratini rather than power up the
Dragonite with the low cp. Right?

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I figured instead of flooding the Pok?mon Go page and Q&A page with Pok?mon Go questions, you can ask me, I'll gladly answer any questions you may have.

Quick question. I?ve been a Defender at this gym for a few days now.

Why is the prestige ?over the limit?? 52000/50000? How did that happen, and can I increase it further? If so, how, and will it make it harder for opposite teams to take us over?

IMG_3449.jpg

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Quick question. I?ve been a Defender at this gym for a few days now.

Why is the prestige ?over the limit?? 52000/50000? How did that happen, and can I increase it further? If so, how, and will it make it harder for opposite teams to take us over?

View attachment 113742

I can only speculate on this one unfortunately. My guess would be is that there is a top limit for prestige that is a little higher than the limit needed to increase the level. The only way to increase the prestige is by training, so if you go in and train and win some battles, you can see if the prestige raised any, though I believe there is some max limit. Yes, if you could continually raise prestige points it would indeed make it harder for the gym to defeated and taken over, however in the spirit of gym battles for Pok?mon Go I believe there is that max limit and I also believe it's why you can decrease prestige faster than you can raise. That also encourages team efforts to either maintain coverage or make quick work of a takeover.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Mr. @metllicamilitia,

I just had one of the most horrible experiences that can happen to a hard-core Pok?mon player. :mad:

I was dutifully evolving Pok?mon during my 30-minute Lucky Egg period. Unfortunately, I had set an alarm to remind me to collect my Defender Bonus, and that alarm went off during that half hour. The smal notification bar appeared at the top of the screen and I was unable to dismiss it. I had to switch out of the Pok?mon GO app and go into Clock and turn off the alarm.

When I went to switch back to the Pok?mon GO app, the app re-loadead from scratch?as in, I saw the flash screen with the hot-air balloon! Why an iPhone 6s Plus with 2 gigs of RAM had to re-load the app from scratch is beyond me. When the app?s main screen appeared, I did NOT see the small purple +xxxxx XP notfication.

Now, judging from the progress bar on my level immediately below my Trainer?s and his buddy?s avatars, it is my belief that the XP was granted. However, I cannot be certain beyond a shadow of a doubt, since I did not make a record of my XP before and after the whole event. Next time I will know better.

Surely I?m not the first to have been evolving Pok?mon with a Lucky Egg going when a Clock alarm interrupted the process.

In your estimation, do you think the game is programmed well enough to know that it had to give me the XP despite the Clock alarm going off and interrupting?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Regards,

Rafagon

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Mr. @metllicamilitia,

I just had one of the most horrible experiences that can happen to a hard-core Pok?mon player. :mad:

I was dutifully evolving Pok?mon during my 30-minute Lucky Egg period. Unfortunately, I had set an alarm to remind me to collect my Defender Bonus, and that alarm went off during that half hour. The smal notification bar appeared at the top of the screen and I was unable to dismiss it. I had to switch out of the Pok?mon GO app and go into Clock and turn off the alarm.

When I went to switch back to the Pok?mon GO app, the app re-loadead from scratch?as in, I saw the flash screen with the hot-air balloon! Why an iPhone 6s Plus with 2 gigs of RAM had to re-load the app from scratch is beyond me. When the app?s main screen appeared, I did NOT see the small purple +xxxxx XP notfication.

Now, judging from the progress bar on my level immediately below my Trainer?s and his buddy?s avatars, it is my belief that the XP was granted. However, I cannot be certain beyond a shadow of a doubt, since I did not make a record of my XP before and after the whole event. Next time I will know better.

Surely I?m not the first to have been evolving Pok?mon with a Lucky Egg going when a Clock alarm interrupted the process.

In your estimation, do you think the game is programmed well enough to know that it had to give me the XP despite the Clock alarm going off and interrupting?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Regards,

Rafagon

I had a similar situation happen to me, although it was with leveling up. I did receive everything I was supposed to, so I would assume that yes you did you receive the XP you had accrued up to that point.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Metllicamilita et. al.,

Yesterday, I saw this, before I updated to version 1.15.0.

IMG_3628.jpg

So it seemed like they activated it server-side. I was happy to receive that fairly generous 500 XP just for catching a Pok?mon.

Later on in the day, the 1.15.0 update went live, and, obviously, I updated the app.

This afternoon, I went for my first Pok?Stop spin and first Pok?mon Catch of the Day and got nothing. So I wondered if perhaps I wasn’t seeing the bonus because perhaps I played until after midnight last night—and therefore my first Pok?Stop and first Pok?mon Catch of the Day weren’t really my first? But I checked my Trainer’s journal, and the last activity I logged last night was at 11:50 PM.

So, to recap, I received the 500 XP “First Catch of the Day” bonus yesterday before updating the app, but after updating the app yesterday and making my first Pok?mon Catch of the Day today, I got no bonus. This makes no sense ot me.

The only thing I have noticed is a small cosmetic change to the fonts used throughout. Smaller fonts, all caps…

Are you experiencing similar issues with this “First Catch of the Day” bonus? Could the brand new feature be buggy already? Nothing related to this is mentioned in the game’s Known Issues site.

Lastly, what about these screens? “1 DAY STREAK” and the dots and what-not? I have yet to see them. Perhaps they were just mockups that never made it to the final release?

pokemon-go-daily-bonus-1.jpg

Maybe I should contact Niantic directly to find out what the heck is going on?

They’re supposed to be trying to get people interested in the game again, but this latest update sure is off to a crappy start—for me, anyways.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Metllicamilita et. al.,

Yesterday, I saw this, before I updated to version 1.15.0.

View attachment 113994

So it seemed like they activated it server-side. I was happy to receive that fairly generous 500 XP just for catching a Pok?mon.

Later on in the day, the 1.15.0 update went live, and, obviously, I updated the app.

This afternoon, I went for my first Pok?Stop spin and first Pok?mon Catch of the Day and got nothing. So I wondered if perhaps I wasn?t seeing the bonus because perhaps I played until after midnight last night?and therefore my first Pok?Stop and first Pok?mon Catch of the Day weren?t really my first? But I checked my Trainer?s journal, and the last activity I logged last night was at 11:50 PM.

So, to recap, I received the 500 XP ?First Catch of the Day? bonus yesterday before updating the app, but after updating the app yesterday and making my first Pok?mon Catch of the Day today, I got no bonus. This makes no sense ot me.

The only thing I have noticed is a small cosmetic change to the fonts used throughout. Smaller fonts, all caps?

Are you experiencing similar issues with this ?First Catch of the Day? bonus? Could the brand new feature be buggy already? Nothing related to this is mentioned in the game?s Known Issues site.

Lastly, what about these screens? ?1 DAY STREAK? and the dots and what-not? I have yet to see them. Perhaps they were just mockups that never made it to the final release?

View attachment 113995

Maybe I should contact Niantic directly to find out what the heck is going on?

They?re supposed to be trying to get people interested in the game again, but this latest update sure is off to a crappy start?for me, anyways.

I have not caught a Pok?mon today yet so I'm unsure about the continuing bonus, and I haven't the streak screen either. The dots though correlate to the number of days in the week you've caught Pok?mon or visited Pok?Stop's.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I have not caught a Pok?mon today yet so I'm unsure about the continuing bonus, and I haven't the streak screen either. The dots though correlate to the number of days in the week you've caught Pok?mon or visited Pok?Stop's.

Thank you kindly for your prompt reply.

I figured that’s how the dots work—now if only Niantic would get them to actually show up, we’d be in business.

I’ll report back after I try it tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll have better results.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen