Ask me about Pok?mon Go!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I figured instead of flooding the Pok?mon Go page and Q&A page with Pok?mon Go questions, you can ask me, I'll gladly answer any questions you may have.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I figured instead of flooding the Pok?mon Go page and Q&A page with Pok?mon Go questions, you can ask me, I'll gladly answer any questions you may have.
Okay, ask, and you shall receive! I have two questions for you.

First, I’ve noticed when indoors that the game rather often displays that “GPS signal not found” message… even when my phone is a mere 12 feet away from a window an in a building that’s not at all heavily “fortified." I'm 99% sure Find My iPhone could locate my iPhone there, so why is Pok?mon GO so sensitive when it comes to securing a GPS signal? Does it require a direct line of sight to the GPS satellite currently providing geolocation information for the app?

Secondly, if I feed a Razz Berry to a Pok?mon and then throw a ball at him in an attempt to trap him, and the ball actually traps him, but then he succeeds in escaping, do I need to feed him a second Razz Berry to make the capture easier again? Or does he remember the previous Razz Berry I fed him and feeding a second Razz Berry is just a waste of a Razz Berry?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the help you provide on Pok?mon to others and to me on a daily basis here at iMore.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, ask, and you shall receive! I have two questions for you.

First, I?ve noticed when indoors that the game rather often displays that ?GPS signal not found? message? even when my phone is a mere 12 feet away from a window an in a building that?s not at all heavily ?fortified." I'm 99% sure Find My iPhone could locate my iPhone there, so why is Pok?mon GO so sensitive when it comes to securing a GPS signal? Does it require a direct line of sight to the GPS satellite currently providing geolocation information for the app?

Secondly, if I feed a Razz Berry to a Pok?mon and then throw a ball at him in an attempt to trap him, and the ball actually traps him, but then he succeeds in escaping, do I need to feed him a second Razz Berry to make the capture easier again? Or does he remember the previous Razz Berry I fed him and feeding a second Razz Berry is just a waste of a Razz Berry?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the help you provide on Pok?mon to others and to me on daily basis here at iMore.

1. I believe Pok?mon Go uses its own GPS, that's the only way I can figure all the GPS issues indoors.

2. Yes, you need to feed a second Razz Berry. One Razz Berry works for one pok?ball hitting a pok?mon.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
1. I believe Pok?mon Go uses its own GPS, that's the only way I can figure all the GPS issues indoors.

2. Yes, you need to feed a second Razz Berry. One Razz Berry works for one pok?ball hitting a pok?mon.
Thank you kindly, sir. You are most helpful.

Last edited:

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

When does the distance register for hatching eggs. I can't seem to get a handle on it. Specifically a couple of things:
1. When you open the app and start walking, when, or how does the app register a distance walked? I can check an egg that is hatching and walk 2 blocks and the distance has not changed.
2, When returning from a trip in the car, if I have had the app open all the time, the distance counter does not start to register after I get off the highway. I can slow the car down to 10 mph and drive several blocks home and the distance during the slow driving doesn't register. What could make the app start to 'register' the distance after slowing down?
These are 2 things that have been bugging me since the game started.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
When does the distance register for hatching eggs. I can't seem to get a handle on it. Specifically a couple of things:
1. When you open the app and start walking, when, or how does the app register a distance walked? I can check an egg that is hatching and walk 2 blocks and the distance has not changed.
2, When returning from a trip in the car, if I have had the app open all the time, the distance counter does not start to register after I get off the highway. I can slow the car down to 10 mph and drive several blocks home and the distance during the slow driving doesn't register. What could make the app start to 'register' the distance after slowing down?
These are 2 things that have been bugging me since the game started.

This is one of the most annoying parts about this game. The distant is always being registered, however the refresh rate is quite long. The last time I checked, and I haven't seen any changes yet, the refresh rate is 5 minutes. So every 5 minutes you'll the distance update.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so I have a Pok?mon with, let's say 758 (vaporeon) I've seen some with at least 1k CP. How do I get mine to go higher?

Training at the gym only gets the gym to a higher level. How do you train your pokemon so they get stronger?

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the most annoying parts about this game. The distant is always being registered, however the refresh rate is quite long. The last time I checked, and I haven't seen any changes yet, the refresh rate is 5 minutes. So every 5 minutes you'll the distance update.
Thanks for that info. That is why when I walk around the block, it doesn't seem to register. It's updating from the start of my walk to the end of my walk, which is about the same place. Bummer lol

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that info. That is why when I walk around the block, it doesn't seem to register. It's updating from the start of my walk to the end of my walk, which is about the same place. Bummer lol

It registers the whole walk, it doesn't count by location, if your avatar is moving, it's counting distance.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It registers the whole walk, it doesn't count by location, if your avatar is moving, it's counting distance.

I don't think it's accurate. I walk for 2-3 miles during my daughter's soccer practice and it has never registered any of that time toward hatching an egg. I'm walking on sidewalks along the soccer fields, not on main roads. The app isn't smart enough to count those steps for whatever reason. This has happened to me at 4 practices. Frustrating.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's accurate. I walk for 2-3 miles during my daughter's soccer practice and it has never registered any of that time toward hatching an egg. I'm walking on sidewalks along the soccer fields, not on main roads. The app isn't smart enough to count those steps for whatever reason. This has happened to me at 4 practices. Frustrating.

Yeah, it's not accurate by any means, that's one of the reasons I believe they use their own GPS.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

Here’s another one. When I first started playing Pok?mon, someone told me to “never use stardust ever until maybe level 30 or 40. You should have around 1,000,000,000. Never worry about powering up, you will catch even higher CP later on in higher levels.”

At the time I was collecting all the tips in a Notes document and not writing down the source of the information, and as a newbie, I wasn’t questioning anything I was told. Now that I have been playing for a while and have a better (but still far from complete) understanding of what I’m doing, I’m questioning this suggestion (and that figure seems awfully high). Should I really save up all that stardust and not power up any of my Pok?mon until I get to level 30 or 40? Is this the best way to handle stardust? I currently have 40,570 stardust and I’m at level 21, if that matters.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Here?s another one. When I first started playing Pok?mon, someone told me to ?never use stardust ever until maybe level 30 or 40. You should have around 1,000,000,000. Never worry about powering up, you will catch even higher CP later on in higher levels.?

At the time I was collecting all the tips in a Notes document and not writing down the source of the information, and as a newbie, I wasn?t questioning anything I was told. Now that I have been playing for a while and have a better (but still far from complete) understanding of what I?m doing, I?m questioning this suggestion (and that figure seems awfully high). Should I really save up all that stardust and not power up any of my Pok?mon until I get to level 30 or 40? Is this the best way to handle stardust? I currently have 40,570 stardust and I?m at level 21, if that matters.

I'm only level 22, so I can't say for sure if the CP of wild Pok?mon will continue to increase or not. However the logic of waiting is sound.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
What do you think is the most valuable Pokemon to catch? :) (Non - legendary)

Valuable as in how? Strength or rarity? Rarity is somewhat dependent on your location. Strength wise, Vaporeon, Charizard, and Dragonite are way up there on the high end of attack. Venasaur, Chansey, and Snorlax are up there on the high end of defense.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have finally learned to throw curveballs consistently. All I do is make a number six or a backward number six depending on which hand I'm using to make the throw. That number six is laid back a little bit like if it was rocked back just 30?. Anyway, most of the time I do not get the 10 points credit.
Before the last update I would always get the credit. Do you think that this is the new bug?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have finally learned to throw curveballs consistently. All I do is make a number six or a backward number six depending on which hand I'm using to make the throw. That number six is laid back a little bit like if it was rocked back just 30?. Anyway, most of the time I do not get the 10 points credit.
Before the last update I would always get the credit. Do you think that this is the new bug?

They say they fixed it, I don't think they have. I always swirl my pok?ball's along with the curve. By swirling I mean I spin it in a circle until it glows, sparkles, whatever you want to call it, then I throw the curve ball. I rarely see the bonus points myself.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Valuable as in how? Strength or rarity? Rarity is somewhat dependent on your location. Strength wise, Vaporeon, Charizard, and Dragonite are way up there on the high end of attack. Venasaur, Chansey, and Snorlax are up there on the high end of defense.

You answered my question perfectly. ill try be more specific next time with questions. :)