Is there an easy way to identify the type of Pok?mon one is considering battling at a gym?

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Because in battle certain types of Pok?mon are more effective against certain other types than others, it is in my best interest to know the type of Pok?mon I?m considering engaging so that I can send in the most suitable Pok?mon for the job.

Of course, it?s very easy to identify the type of any of my own Pok?mon: I simply tap on the Pok?mon and all relevant information is displayed.

But I?ve found no easy way to identify the type of Pok?mon I?m considering engaging at a gym. Of course, some are pretty obvious based on their name, such as ?Flareon? being a ?Fire? type; however, with other Pok?mon, their type is not so obvious.

Is there an easy way to identify the type of Pok?mon I?m considering engaging? Or do I have to Google the Pok?mon each and every time until eventually I know them all by heart?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Color is a good indicator. People like myself who have been playing Pok?mon for 15-20 years already know. Green is grass, blue is water, white is normal, black/dark is ghost, purple is poison, yellow is electric, brown is ground, grey is rock, fire is red, although Ninetails is yellow, dragon is easily identifiable with the first gen Pok?mon, except Dratini and Dragonair, dual colored Pok?mon with yellow or pink/purple are psychic, as in Drowzee, Hypno, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, and Mr. Mime. However I believe Pok?mon GO uses dual typing, which a chart would be easiest for. Gyarados is Water and Flying, therefore electric attacks do 4 times damage. Geodude, Graveller, and Golem are Rock and Ground and therefore water does 4 times damage. I am not 100% certain whether or not Pok?mon GO uses dual typing, I'm pretty sure they do though. You can make a fairly accurate assessment though based on the color of the Pok?mon.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I should also mention appearance and name are also a big factor in determining typing. For example Charmander. Charmander is orange, has char in the name, and has a flame on his tail, so fire. I understand that's an easy one. Also, one type advantage that really doesn't make sense and is still quite new. Fairy type, was only introduced a year or two ago. Fairy type is super effective against Dragon.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Today I sent my Vaporeon (Water Type) in to battle an Aerodactyl (Flying/Rock) at a gym the team of which was not the same as mine.

According to the Type Matchup Chart, I should have defeated it (normal damage for the Flying part of the Aerodactyl, and x2 damage for the Rock part of the Aerodactyl).

My Vaporeon’s CP was 1533 and the Aerodactyl’s CP was 1309.

Yet, I still managed to get my *** kicked, and the Aerodactyl apparently suffered no damage (see below).

What the heck went wrong?!

IMG_2385.jpg

I’ve yet to become a Defender in a friendly gym, let alone defeat a Pok?mon in a gym from a different team.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Today I sent my Vaporeon (Water Type) in to battle an Aerodactyl (Flying/Rock) at a gym the team of which was not the same as mine.

According to the Type Matchup Chart, I should have defeated it (normal damage for the Flying part of the Aerodactyl, and x2 damage for the Rock part of the Aerodactyl).

My Vaporeon’s CP was 1533 and the Aerodactyl’s CP was 1309.

Yet, I still managed to get my *** kicked, and the Aerodactyl apparently suffered no damage (see below).

What the heck went wrong?!

View attachment 110646

I’ve yet to become a Defender in a friendly gym, let alone defeat a Pok?mon in a gym from a different team.
Do you tap the screen to make your pocket monster attack? I tap the screen repeatedly as fast as i can until the bar on top fills up, then I hold the screen for his special attack to unleash, then back to tapping...

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Do you tap the screen to make your pocket monster attack? I tap the screen repeatedly as fast as i can until the bar on top fills up, then I hold the screen for his special attack to unleash, then back to tapping...

Well, that explains that! I wasn't tapping on anything or holding the screen! I thought I was just supposed to tap the Go icon and then watch the battle and hope for the best!

Stupid game tells me 50 times a day that I'm going too fast and makes me tap on "I'm a passenger" but not once could they tell me, "You're not fighting back! Tap the screen repeatedly to fight, you fool!"

Thank you so much. I tried it and it made the battles much more interesting. Oh, I still totally lost, but at least I fought back!

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, that explains that! I wasn't tapping on anything or holding the screen! I thought I was just supposed to tap the Go icon and then watch the battle and hope for the best!

Stupid game tells me 50 times a day that I'm going too fast and makes me tap on "I'm a passenger" but not once could they tell me, "You're not fighting back! Tap the screen repeatedly to fight, you fool!"

Thank you so much. I tried it and it made the battles much more interesting. Oh, I still totally lost, but at least I fought back!

Enjoy your battles!!
It takes a bit to figure out the long press speical attack. I still don't get the timing right, but if you search for Trainer Tips on You Tube for the episode about training in gyms, it is a good explanation of how to fight.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Is there an easy way to identify the type of Pok?mon one is considering battl...

I should also mention appearance and name are also a big factor in determining typing. For example Charmander. Charmander is orange, has char in the name, and has a flame on his tail, so fire. I understand that's an easy one. Also, one type advantage that really doesn't make sense and is still quite new. Fairy type, was only introduced a year or two ago. Fairy type is super effective against Dragon.

It would take a bit of work and time, but I'm considering adding them as contacts on my iPhone. I'd make a new category called Pok?mon, obviously, and then only display that category of contacts while I'm out playing. I really hate the thought of going into Safari and Googling before each and every fight. Here's my prototype contact card. Crazy, or potentially helpful?

IMG_1472172116.952939.jpg

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is there an easy way to identify the type of Pok?mon one is considering battl...

It would take a bit of work and time, but I'm considering adding them as contacts on my iPhone. I'd make a new category called Pok?mon, obviously, and then only display that category of contacts while I'm out playing. I really hate the thought of going into Safari and Googling before each and every fight. Here's my prototype contact card. Crazy, or potentially helpful?

View attachment 110675

It's one way to do it. To easily search by Pok?mon, since any list right now is going to have all 700+ Pok?mon on it. In November that will increase to over 800+ Pok?mon when the new games come out.

brkyk94

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

Really great informations here. Thanks a lot!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77