Almost ready to join a gym! I?m a level 17 and I have some pretty decent Pok?mon. But...

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I still have reservations.

Once I join a gym that may not be the closest one to my home, am I allowed to leave it and join another gym closer to my home? Is this an easy process? Or am I stuck at the gym that I join forever?

Furthermore, can one revive/heal one's Pok?mon from home or does one have to travel to the gym IRL each and every time one of one's Pok?mon need healing, reviving, etc.?

I did read iMore’s article entitled “How to add your Pok?mon to an established Gym in Pok?mon Go” but the aforementioned concerns were not addressed in that article.

If anyone can provide more information, I’d be indebted to you.

Basically—I just feel like I’ve gone through a lot of work to collect my Pok?mon, evolve and power them up, and I don’t want them all to get massacred because I didn’t know enough about gyms before I joined one.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I'm not going to be your best source of info on this topic as I've only fought two battles and got my rear handed to me both times. I can definitely tell you that you can revive/heal your Pokemon from anywhere. You don't have to be at a gym.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Gyms change control all the time, what you're joining is a team. You take control of gyms from other teams by battling those gyms and reducing the prestige points to zero and placing your own Pok?mon there. Then you can train at that gym to raise prestige points for your gym and raise the level so more people from your team can place Pok?mon there. Likewise, other teams can battle at your gym to reduce the prestige points to zero and take it over. It's a constant cycle.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a plane, and left a Pokeymon in California in a gym. I just revitalized him and I'm over Arizona lol.
Go ahead and join and defend all you want. You can't loose a Pokeyman and you probably will not be in any active gym over an hour. I have not been able to stay in a gym and I've joined 20 or more.
Fear not, it's fun!

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Gyms change control all the time, what you're joining is a team. You take control of gyms from other teams by battling those gyms and reducing the prestige points to zero and placing your own Pok?mon there. Then you can train at that gym to raise prestige points for your gym and raise the level so more people from your team can place Pok?mon there. Likewise, other teams can battle at your gym to reduce the prestige points to zero and take it over. It's a constant cycle.
Thank you for that. So my question now is, if I join a gym that isn’t the closest to my house, am I going to be able to leave that gym and join a different gym that might be closer to my house IRL?

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
The other day there was a gym very close to my house that was Blue (my team) and then suddenly it was Red (not my team). This goes in line with what Mr. @metllicamilitia. What happens if I join a gym that is my team (Blue) and then it’s suddenly taken over by Red? Do I get kicked out? Does my Pok?mon that was staying at that gym die? I’m sorry to ask these questions which are probably very dumb but I want to know exactly what I’m doing before I join a gym. I am actually very scared of doing so, but …. what’s the worse that can happen? One of my Pok?mon gets stunned? I can revive him, right? I already know that I’m not supposed to leave MY BEST POKEMON at a gym belonging to my team.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
In short, I’ve been “building my army” (capturing and collecting Pok?mon) and I’m totally happy with that phase of the game; now I know that I must move on to the next stage (joining a gym). Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Update: I’m level 19 now!

Here are my top Pok?mon based on CP:

IMG_2253.jpg

PS: I have a ton of (seventeen, to be exact) Raticate. Do I send 15 of them to the Professor? What’s my best option? Do I just keep all seventen in my Pok?mon inventory?

Thanks,

Rafael “Rafagon"

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for that. So my question now is, if I join a gym that isn?t the closest to my house, am I going to be able to leave that gym and join a different gym that might be closer to my house IRL?

You can place one Pok?mon in as many gyms have open slots. Only one Pok?mon per player per gym. Once you're Pok?mon is removed from the gym, it is left fainted and needs a revive used on it and then potions to fully restore HP. As prestige points are lowered at a gym and a level gets dropped, the weakest Pok?mon in the gym is removed. For example, a level 3 gym with 3 Pok?mon CP's 100, 200, and 300, loses prestige points and becomes a level 2 gym. The CP's 200, and 300 remain while the CP 100 is removed. The only way to lose ownership of a Pok?mon in any game is to remove it yourself, in this case by transferring.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a million, man. You’ve been extremely helpful… not just with this but with all of my previous dumb questions!

Thank you kindly.

-Rafagon

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I've dabbled in the gyms a few times, just need to get a few more high-CP Pok?mon :)
My 1023-CP Vaporeon (my highest-CP Pok?mon) got his *** kicked when I tried to join a [friendly] gym today. It was my first time at a gym. Assuming the Pok?mon you see on the gym’s “title page” is the one that fights the Pok?mon you try to place in the gym, then I guess I simply pitted him against the “wrong” type of opponent (i.e. one whose attacks on my Pok?mon were more effective than mine on his).

Gotta print this out and bring it with me, or have it bookmarked and at the ready before I try again:

Pokemonchart.jpg

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Almost ready to join a gym! I?m a level 17 and I have some pretty decent Pok...

I just now learned by pure accident that when you're glancing at a gym, you can swipe left and right to see all the Pok?mon (and their Trainers) who are defending that particular gym. So when I initiate a battle (friendly or otherwise) with a Pok?mon at a gym that I'm at, will my Pok?mon be battling the particular Pok?mon that's on my screen at that moment? Or will my Pok?mon always have to battle the top Pok?mon at that gym (the one with the crown)?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Almost ready to join a gym! I?m a level 17 and I have some pretty decent Pok...

I just now learned by pure accident that when you're glancing at a gym, you can swipe left and right to see all the Pok?mon (and their Trainers) who are defending that particular gym. So when I initiate a battle (friendly or otherwise) with a Pok?mon at a gym that I'm at, will my Pok?mon be battling the particular Pok?mon that's on my screen at that moment? Or will my Pok?mon always have to battle the top Pok?mon at that gym (the one with the crown)?

You will always battle all the Pok?mon at the gym from weakest to strongest.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Almost ready to join a gym! I?m a level 17 and I have some pretty decent Pok...

Very cool tip @Rafagon. I didn't know that swipe trick.
I have found that at a gym, the app automatically loads the most effective Pokeymon in your cache of o do the first battle. Or it seems that way because I always have a different fighter at different gyms and I usually win.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
They do that to make it easy to build prestige in their gyms... Then they fight their own guy and win easily and there are other gym members are able to do the same.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I've got four on different gyms right now. Don't worry about it. If it's an empty gym, or a same team gym with an empty space, just Drop your Pok?mon in, go to the shop page, tap the shield icon at the top right, claim your defenders bonus, and you're done.

If and when the Gym gets taken over by a rival team, your Pok?mon will return to you, and you can revive and heal it.

if you have to level up the same team gym to make a slot, or a fight a rival team to take control of the gym, it's more complicated, but you can still leave Pok?mon there and basically forget about them until they return to you. Just make sure you claim your defenders bonus whenever the timer runs out and you have a Pok?mon on the gym.

Have fun!

IMG_1471196682.816054.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro