Can Pokemon Go read your email?

I

iMore Question

Will Pokemon Go be able to read my emails? My mom told me they could, I think she doesn't want me to be on her phone. Is this true?

Vinu Jacob

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Niantic released the following statement regarding this.

We recently discovered that the Pok?mon GO account creation process on iOS erroneously requests full access permission for the user’s Google account. However, Pok?mon GO only accesses basic Google profile information (specifically, your User ID and email address) and no other Google account information is or has been accessed or collected. Once we became aware of this error, we began working on a client-side fix to request permission for only basic Google profile information, in line with the data that we actually access. Google has verified that no other information has been received or accessed by Pok?mon GO or Niantic. Google will soon reduce Pok?mon GO’s permission to only the basic profile data that Pok?mon GO needs, and users do not need to take any actions themselves.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Will Pokemon Go be able to read my emails? My mom told me they could, I think she doesn't want me to be on her phone. Is this true?

It was true, but it's been patched several days ago. If you installed the game while the game had the permissions bug, you may need to check your Google account in the apps permission section.

First check your Google App Permissions to see weather or not PokeMon go has more access than Basic.
https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions

If it doesn't say Basic then perform the following:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of Pokemon GO installed. If not, please download the newest version from the App Store before continuing.

2. Open the Pokemon GO app and log out of your account from the settings menu.

3. Go back to the connected apps area of your Google account mentioned above. There, you should see a "Remove" option for Pokemon GO. Select this option and choose "OK" when prompted to remove access.

4. Open Pokemon GO again and log-in via your Google account. After selecting "Allow" on the menu prompt, you should now be sending only basic account information.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73