Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question
    iMore Question's Avatar
    Guest

    Default Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    Can I play Pokemon go without wifi
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    Welcome to iMore! Pokmon Go requires some sort of data connection so if you aren't connected to wifi you'll need to be using an iPhone or an iPad with cellular data.
  3. #3  
    AsilentG's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    No

    Posted via the iMore App for Android
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    Quote Originally Posted by AsilentG View Post
    No

    Posted via the iMore App for Android
    Not quite. In fact, I would say the vast majority of users aren't connected to wifi while they're playing Pokmon Go.
  5. #5  
    krisbecker9's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    How does this work without wifi? I actually wanted to download it but hesitant because of this reason. I won't be able to play it constantly if it requires wifi.
  6. #6  

    Default Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by krisbecker9 View Post
    How does this work without wifi? I actually wanted to download it but hesitant because of this reason. I won't be able to play it constantly if it requires wifi.
    It works over cellular data, on an iPhone or iPad with cellular. It's the exact same way you write emails, check Facebook, or do anything involving the internet when you're not home.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    The app doesn't seem to use much data, which is good. But you'll definitely need some to be able to play the game. If you go with a friend, they may be able to turn their phone into a hotspot. Just charge the batteries completely and/or bring a power pack. The game does draw a lot from the battery!
  8. #8  
    Edward Robins's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    I have and android phone and i'm playing pokemon go at home but when I go outside with data turned on it says no GPS even when i have turned on GPS
  9. #9  
    SwitchBeach's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,247 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Robins View Post
    I have and android phone and i'm playing pokemon go at home but when I go outside with data turned on it says no GPS even when i have turned on GPS
    You should go check out the AndroidCentral forums. iMore deals with Apple products such at the iPhone.
  10. #10  
    1nikki16's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    It works over cellular data, on an iPhone or iPad with cellular. It's the exact same way you write emails, check Facebook, or do anything involving the internet when you're not home.
    OK when I leave Wi-Fi range mine says "no internet connectivity" is it just telling me it's currently using data or is not working because I don't have Wi-Fi? It won't even load the game unless I have it. I think it's just my phone but I want to know the solution if there is one
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1nikki16 View Post
    OK when I leave Wi-Fi range mine says "no internet connectivity" is it just telling me it's currently using data or is not working because I don't have Wi-Fi? It won't even load the game unless I have it. I think it's just my phone but I want to know the solution if there is one
    It will work without wifi but it does need data. So if your iPad or iPhone can load iMore without wifi, it will work. An iPod touch, for example, wouldn't work without a wifi connection because it doesn't have a data plan with it.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
  12. #12  
    ajbovett99's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    It will work without wifi but it does need data. So if your iPad or iPhone can load iMore without wifi, it will work. An iPod touch, for example, wouldn't work without a wifi connection because it doesn't have a data plan with it.
    I have data on straight talk on a 4s but I can't connect unless I'm on wifi
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbovett99 View Post
    I have data on straight talk on a 4s but I can't connect unless I'm on wifi
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense honestly. It should work as long as you have a data connection. The servers are busy with the weekend for sure. We have had some issues getting through both on LTE and wifi.
  14. #14  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,944 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by iMore Question View Post
    Can I play Pokemon go without wifi
    Quote Originally Posted by AsilentG View Post
    No

    Posted via the iMore App for Android
    Quote Originally Posted by krisbecker9 View Post
    How does this work without wifi? I actually wanted to download it but hesitant because of this reason. I won't be able to play it constantly if it requires wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nikki16 View Post
    OK when I leave Wi-Fi range mine says "no internet connectivity" is it just telling me it's currently using data or is not working because I don't have Wi-Fi? It won't even load the game unless I have it. I think it's just my phone but I want to know the solution if there is one
    I can answer this post easily. It's hard to take part in the GO part of Pokmon GO if you need a wifi connection. So, no, you do not need to be on wifi. This is also why T-Mobile is making Pokmon GO data not count against the users data for a year if they grab the offer on T-Mobile tuesdays on the 19th.

    As far as not being able to connect unless you're on wifi, I would recommend hard resetting your phone. If that doesn't work, try calling your service provider for network specific help.
    krisbecker9 likes this.
  15. #15  
    Maximilian Olsson's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense honestly. It should work as long as you have a data connection. The servers are busy with the weekend for sure. We have had some issues getting through both on LTE and wifi.
    I Am Playing Pokemon Go On An iPhone 4s And Every time Its starts loading IT laga Out this happens when I Have Internet
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian Olsson View Post
    I Am Playing Pokemon Go On An iPhone 4s And Every time Its starts loading IT laga Out this happens when I Have Internet
    Here's an article on what's going on: Servers down? Can't log into Pokmon Go right now? Here's what's happening! | iMore
  17. #17  
    Wolfie Claw's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    I just have a 10$ prepaid card and I don't wanna spend all my money because I need it for babysitting and other stuff when I go out and I wanna go for a long walk and catch Pokemon but I also don't wanna spend all day catching them over cellular data or whatever
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie Claw View Post
    I just have a 10$ prepaid card and I don't wanna spend all my money because I need it for babysitting and other stuff when I go out and I wanna go for a long walk and catch Pokemon but I also don't wanna spend all day catching them over cellular data or whatever
    Welcome to iMore! If you go out walking you are going to need to use cellular data in order to play the game. Just like many other apps and games, Pokemon Go simply doesn't work unless you have a way to connect to the internet.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie Claw View Post
    I just have a 10$ prepaid card and I don't wanna spend all my money because I need it for babysitting and other stuff when I go out and I wanna go for a long walk and catch Pokemon but I also don't wanna spend all day catching them over cellular data or whatever
    Understood. It actually doesn't use much data at all. I've played quite a bit and have just over 100mb data usage.
  20. #20  
    Chosen101ok's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    So i haven't topped up my phone but i have switched on my data will the game still work if i do that?
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

    Quote Originally Posted by Chosen101ok View Post
    So i haven't topped up my phone but i have switched on my data will the game still work if i do that?
    Not sure what you mean exactly, but as long as you have data turned on, you should be good to go. Get outside and give it a try!
  22. #22  
    Vikas Dhar's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Todayi Downloaded Pokmon GO on my Samsung Galaxy Edge. And I always play it at home, but when I go outside I can't play because there is no internet. I need to help.
  23. #23  
    bibekmdr's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    i dont think so. U need data connection to play
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikas Dhar View Post
    Todayi Downloaded Pokmon GO on my Samsung Galaxy Edge. And I always play it at home, but when I go outside I can't play because there is no internet. I need to help.
    I recommend checking out the previous replies within this thread. Pokmon Go requires an internet connection in order to play. There is no way around that.
  25. #25  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    34 Posts

    Default Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian Olsson View Post
    I Am Playing Pokemon Go On An iPhone 4s And Every time Its starts loading IT laga Out this happens when I Have Internet
    The 4s is to old to run pokemon go. Just like any Android phone that's not past ice cream sandwich won't work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The band is coming off my Fitbit. What can I do?
    By iMore Question in forum Fitbit
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2016, 08:02 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 06:30 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 06:28 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 06:16 PM
  5. T-Mobile offers customers unlimited data for Pokmon Go
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions