Has anyone caught a Pikachu yet?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have read that if you set up the account and DON'T capture one of the 3 "starter" ones they put in front of you then it will appear.

Yep. That is true. You have to ignore them 4 times and then on the 4th time they regenerate, Pikachu will be there.

Serenity Caldwell

Managing Editor
Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! Pikachu will be a more common find if you live in an arid climate, but if you're in a New England-y type grasslands area, I've had (weirdly) had luck with Electric types near lakes and the ocean. Pikachu will spawn in suburbia, too —*it's just far more rare.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! Pikachu will be a more common find if you live in an arid climate, but if you're in a New England-y type grasslands area, I've had (weirdly) had luck with Electric types near lakes and the ocean. Pikachu will spawn in suburbia, too —*it's just far more rare.

So you're saying that Pok?mon takes climate and topography into consideration? Very interesting.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying that Pok?mon takes climate and topography into consideration? Very interesting.

It's more location based, bug types in parks, water types by water, etc. just as you would assume to find if Pok?mon were real creatures in the real world. You wouldn't expect to find a bird swimming on the ocean floor or cat flying in the air. Same concept.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's more location based, bug types in parks, water types by water, etc. just as you would assume to find if Pok?mon were real creatures in the real world. You wouldn't expect to find a bird swimming on the ocean floor or cat flying in the air. Same concept.

Gotcha. I'm impressed that there was that much thought put into it from the developers.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha. I'm impressed that there was that much thought put into it from the developers.

Yeah, it's all part of the making it more real world and making people get up and go places to find Pok?mon ha ha. Eggs had thought too. In the Nintendo games you have to walk around, usually riding a bike endlessly, to hatch eggs. They brought that to real world too. You can pick up eggs and they range from either 2km, 5km, or 10km, I haven't seen any other distances, you physically have to walk those distances with the egg in an incubator to hatch it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I can see why this game is getting so popular. You can play without having to really leave your neighborhood (most areas in my neighborhood are common areas, so anyone is welcome to walk/sit/play there). You cannot do that with Ingress.... gas was getting entirely too expensive to play that game any more.

Netty228

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm just edging into the game, so apologies if that's a stupid question but... are we talking large bodies of water? I.e. if there isn't any large rivers/lakes in the area, does it mean you will likely not encounter any water types?