Weekly Photo Contest: Hyperlapse!

Michelle Haag

Staff member
Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
[video=vimeo;104409950]http://vimeo.com/104409950[/video]​

That's right guys, we want to see your Hyperlapse creations!

If you haven't heard about it yet, Hyperlapse is the new app from the team at Instagram. The app combines some really intelligent video stabilization with time lapse techniques. It's super simple to use, and a lot of fun, and we can't wait to see what you have come up with! If you haven't already downloaded the app, you can find it free in iTunes.

* Free - The prize:[/COLOR]

The winners of this week's photo contest will snag a $25 iTunes gift card to use towards whatever they want in both iTunes and the App Store! Been eyeing some new photo editing apps you'd really like to get your hands on? Here's your chance to snag some of them, compliments of iMore! And just because you guys are all so awesome, we're going to pick two winners this week!

The rules (obviously think video instead of photos this week):

Submitted photos must have been taken with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

We'll check the EXIF data of the original file to verify and any edits must have been done with an iPhone or iPad app. No Photoshop, Lightroom, or other external editing programs! If you have external lens accessories such as an Olloclip or other snap-on lens, you are more than welcome to use them.

You can submit as many photos as you'd like, but remember, this is a contest, so make sure you submit your best work!

Resources

Now, before you run off to take your photo, remember that it's not technical skill alone that will claim this prize. Even if you're not the best photographer (yet!), a great eye and a great subject can still get you the win.

However, a little help can never hurt, so make sure you check out our [URL="http://www.imore.com/photography"]iPhone photography series for some tips.

How to submit

To submit your photos, simply attach them to this thread, that's it! If you don't have a Mac or PC to upload them, you can download the free Tapatalk forum app and upload them directly from your iPhone or iPad. Hit the link below to download it. No photos submitted outside of this thread will be considered, NO EXCEPTIONS.

- Tapatalk for iPhone - Free - [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk/id307880732?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Download Now[/URL]

Last edited:

rayray14

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to reach my 10 post quota, so here's an indirect link to a hyperlapse I created of a storm brewing:

youtube.com/watch?v=tBWbVathTQ8

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why my post doesn't show up, posted via tapatalk and it shows on there. So i will post it again, this time from my mac. Taken via my 5s

[video=vimeo;104867224]http://vimeo.com/104867224[/video]

Last edited:

jmush

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Here is mine, shot from a plane. I am also under the 10 post quota for linking, so you will have to copy and paste:
instagram.com/p/sYue44Q59-/

applemaximus

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Having just started to use this app I am totally shocked at the results!
The key to a good Hyperlapse is camera movement; and getting smooth movement has always been the killer.
This app does it all!

Here is a video I really just shot at lunch time on a walk.
It's of the Skytower in Auckland New Zealand.
iPhone4 is held in one hand while I walk down a hill toward the city; totally smooth....

I imported this video into my iPad Air and added a slight color correct using the app 'Video Grade'.
Sadly the Hyperlapse app locks exposure and color balance so it is prone to going off on moody days.

applemaximus

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
O.K I have edited a few clips I shot together to make an ultimate drive to work:
Shot over two days, with multiple iPhone4 set-ups; I had to stop my car a few times on the way to work to shift the phone around!

Edited on iMovie iOS. Music from a free library: videoblocks.com

My iPhone 4 was mounted on a tripod and I had to jam the legs into gaps in the seats to hold it still.
But still it must have vibrated like crazy, so I am surprised how smooth the shots are.
Though I can see skipped frames, but this must be from the old iPhone4 processor not quite up to the job!

applemaximus

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Filmed my son trying to complete a circuit of a playground.
My trusty iphone4 dropped some frames, and my son said it looked like a video game!

So went to town on the video:

All editing done on an iPad.
Titles made using TitleFX.
Then cut and music added in Pinnacle studio iPad.

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
vimeo.com/105432323
vimeo.com/105432469
Mine and my friends tire got punctured . This is our journey to the petrol pump to get it fixed. Peace out
(Sorry you will have to copy paste. 10 post quota problem)
From my space grey iPhone 5s

Michelle Haag

Staff member
Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys! Great entries so far! I'm going to extend this contest to next week, so more people have a chance to enter. I know the app is still new, so I want to give everyone a chance to play around with it and have some fun! :D

Keep entering!

applemaximus

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to use Hyperlapse more; between actually working and spending time with my kids!

For me I find the key to making a good hyperlapse is moving while aiming the iphone/camera at a specific point.
So here I am walking around an art installation in Auckland, but making sure to keep the camera centered on the object; swinging around the camera as I move.
This makes for a good focal point for the video:

This one was more complex, but uses the same principal.
I was walking over a bridge, and made sure to keep the "skytower" in the same point in the frame; I found holding the iPhone in a pinch between my fingers with the object centred between my fingers.
image.jpg
This was quite hard to walk and keep rotating my body, and may ned some more work to perfect.
Sadly also a gloomy winters day did not help:

Applying this to shooting a moving object while moving I have my daughter running at the beach, while I try to follow her:

I tried to keep her in the same place on the screen, and so the movement feels 'smoother'. Still not the best subjects to show off, but hopefully my tests will help others to try shooting more.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234