Weekly photo contest: Rule of thirds!

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
rule_thirds_iphone_5s_contest_hero.jpg

If you've followed along with our iPhoneography tutorials and guides in the past, you're probably already familiar with the rule of thirds and how it can help you take more interesting images that can help capture your audience's attention better. That's your task this week, to use the rule of thirds in your photos in order to create an amazing composition that catches our eye. Remember, the foreground is just as important as the background sometimes!

The contest begins today and ends Tuesday, November 26th at 10 p.m. Eastern time.

The Prize

Aside from a thumbs up from the entire iMore crew, we'll be giving not one, but two winners their choice of a Mobile Nations prize pack that contains all kinds of goodies from your favorite sites! These packs include a coffee mug, stickers, pens, a t-shirt, and more! You'll get to choose which prize pack you'd like; iMore, CrackBerry, wpCentral, or Android Central!

The rules

Submitted photos must have been taken with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

We'll check the EXIF data of the original file to verify and any edits must have been done with an iPhone or iPad app. No Photoshop, Lightroom, or other external editing programs! If you have external lens accessories such as an Olloclip or other snap-on lens, you are more than welcome to use them.

You can submit as many photos as you'd like, but remember, this is a contest, so make sure you submit your best work!

Resources

Now, before you run off to take your photo, remember that it's not technical skill alone that will claim this prize. Even if you're not the best photographer (yet!), a great eye and a great subject can still get you the win.

However, a little help can never hurt, so make sure you check out our iPhone photography series for some tips.

For this particular contest, we recommend reading our rule of thirds lesson too.

How to take more striking photos using the rule of thirds

How to submit

To submit your photos, just attach them to this thread, that's it! If you don't have access to a computer, you can post your photos directly from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using Tapatalk, which has both a paid and a free version. No email entries will be accepted so make sure you attach them here or they won't count!

[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-community-reader/id307880732?at=10l3Vy]Click here to download Tapatalk for iOS[/URL]

for3nsicguy

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
a9a8yger.jpg

Fall leaves above a basketball goal on a sunny afternoon...

Taken with stock camera app...no edits iPhone 5S.

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
IMG_7665.JPG

iPhone 5c, Snapseed and a little time.
This was taken at Juanita Beach Park in Kirkland (Just outside Seattle). It was a cold, Fall morning and I wanted to enhance the colors and contrast slightly to really capture that stark chill.

ngc

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
El Avila Mountain (Warairarepano), Caracas, Venezuela.
Taken with an iPad Mini, no editing, no filter.

ubb2.jpg

GoOnKev

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5s,

Hipstamatic.
bedy4ybe.jpg

y8ajyzyh.jpg

Hipstamatic and Camera+
ameqypav.jpg

And then I tried to use the rule of thirds on something mundane in my office and on my drive home. Here's what I got using Snapseed.
y8agasyv.jpg

ujeda9y3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: