Photo apps

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
What apps do you use for photography on your iPhone? List one or list all, details about what it does, price and put examples if you want.

Fotofitti - $1.99 it's a very cool app that lets you put a picture against a wall painted like grafitti. You can change the paint colors, the wall background, contrast and even the age of the grafitti image.

Attachments

• IMG_6085.png
    IMG_6085.png
    708.5 KB · Views: 86

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
One of my new favorites is color splash. It allows you to change your photo to black & white, while keeping your chosen part of the photo in color. It's a cool app and I thinks it's 99 cents.

Here's a wallpaper I used with color splash.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354115891.394175.jpg

Tapatalking

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Camera+
$0.99 (it is on sale right now, normally $1.99 I believe)

What I like most about this app is the option to use 'themes' AFTER you've taken a photo. Hence having options to enhance the photo, etc...

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Camera Awesome - Free
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camera-awesome/id420744028?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Pro HDR - $1.99
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pro-hdr/id347104281?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

I took this one with the Pro HDR app this afternoon.

561573_4032488777742_162948995_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Piictu - Free, This is a social app where you take or post pictures to fit or start a picture thread. It's awesome and has users from all over the world and a ton of different picture threads. If you join follow me Jailbr3ak_kid

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Snapseed:
My everyday, go-to editing app. Absolutely amazing in both how much it does (color correction, crops, sharpening, center-focus, tilt-shift, filters, etc) and in how well it does it.

Photoforge2/Photogene2:
More complicated than Snapseed, I use these not for everyday edits, but for when I need something like Layer and Masks support (Photoforge2) or a Clone Stamp (Photogene2). I also use Photoforge2 for its Curves support--great for tweaking color images with fine control. Probably more complicated than most users want.

Phonto:
The only app you'll need for text-on-photos. Add as much as you'd like, import your own fonts (a must for anyone with any interest in typography--no app will have it all), style your text, adjust kerning and line spacing, opacity, and more.

SambrandtPhonto.jpg

Diptic:
Create photo sets of multiple images, using over 50 different adjustable layouts. Change border color and width, corner radius, etc. Great for side-by-side photo comparisons as well as more artistic collections.

tumblr_m9niad5ISh1qi2s9m.jpg
(screenshots made with PreviewMaker; side-by-side with Diptic)

Superimpose: Similar to Photoforge2's Layers/Masks options but easier to use in many situations. Most often I use it to isolate an image, delete the surrounding background, and place the remaining image on a new background.

tumblr_mcse4gmcwp1rfk38yo1_1280.jpg
(Superimpose used to place R2D2 onto a Disney drawing; which was then aged with Snapseed to help blend the two.)

ToonPaint:
Create black-and-white line drawings from your photos (color can be painted back in later if desired). Great controls for adjusting line width, black/white/grey ratios, etc. Much more refined than most "cartoon-ify" apps.

tumblr_ma8jubyxm41rfk38yo1_r1_1280.jpg
(ToonPaint used to turn a photo of my dog into a drawing; Photoforge2 used to insert him into the album cover.)

PreviewMaker/iWrapper: A bit of a specialty app, but one I use often when reviewing apps on my site. Both of these use your own screenshots and place them in an image frame for a device of your choosing. I began with PreviewMaker when it was a Cydia-only app; Apple has recently reversed its stance on using iOS device images in screenshot apps so it's now available in the App Store. However, it hasn't been updated for the iPhone 5 yet--so for now I'm using iWrapper. Very similar, but I prefer the workflow of PreviewMaker.

Honorable Mentions:

I just discovered Glaze, which applies painterly effects to photos. The big plus here is that it does a much better job than most apps. Downside is that the controls aren't very adjustable once you're in a given effect. (You can, however, layer effects.) Here is the shot from above, passed through a Glaze filter.

SambrandtGlaze.jpg
(a single pass through one of Glaze's effects.)

ToonCamera does a bit of what ToonPaint does, just not with the same attention to detail. It does, however, give you the option to use it in video mode, which is a very cool feature. It also provides a live preview, so you can see what your sketched images will look like before taking them.

Imgupr is a great way to upload images to Imgur. Easy to navigate and quick, it also makes it simple to copy the IMG codes used in forums like this one. Worth a look if you do a lot of screenshot attachments in places like iMore and don't have a good system yet for posting from your mobile.

GifBoom is a handy way to make animated gifs. It comes with a built-in social aspect that I never use as it's overrun with junior-high kids, but the gif creation works well, letting you use video, images, or text to make your gif. It also provides you with Instagram-style filters, as well as backgrounds, borders, fonts, etc, and can export to the usual facebook/tumblr/sms and so on. There are plenty of other gif apps out there (Cinemagram is a cool variation that allows you to animate a single part of a video, leaving the rest as a still image) if this one doesn't fit the bill.

IMG_7437.gif

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
One more: ColorSchemer is a cool kind of photo app. It doesn't do much for the photo itself, but if you're a designer it's a very cool way to build color palettes from your own photos. You simply choose the colors you want to pull from the photo, and the app gives you all the necessary info about them (RGB/hex values) needed for use in web design. A niche app but a lot of fun.

tumblr_m72vkaWjEK1qi2s9m.jpg
(photo with the resulting color palette below)

Last edited:

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a few photo apps installed: Instagram, Hueless, Camera+ and Hipstamatic.

I haven't decided which one will be my 'go-to' photo app, but I like the versatility of Hipstamatic (a lot of possibilities between the lens and film options). I'm just concerned about Hipstamatic as a company. Some recent articles I've seen online have made it sound as though they're in some financial trouble.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Snapseed:
My everyday, go-to editing app. Absolutely amazing in both how much it does (color correction, crops, sharpening, center-focus, tilt-shift, filters, etc) and in how well it does it.

Photoforge2/Photogene2:
More complicated than Snapseed, I use these not for everyday edits, but for when I need something like Layer and Masks support (Photoforge2) or a Clone Stamp (Photogene2). I also use Photoforge2 for its Curves support--great for tweaking color images with fine control. Probably more complicated than most users want.

Phonto:
The only app you'll need for text-on-photos. Add as much as you'd like, import your own fonts (a must for anyone with any interest in typography--no app will have it all), style your text, adjust kerning and line spacing, opacity, and more.

View attachment 23462

Diptic:
Create photo sets of multiple images, using over 50 different adjustable layouts. Change border color and width, corner radius, etc. Great for side-by-side photo comparisons as well as more artistic collections.

View attachment 23458
(screenshots made with PreviewMaker; side-by-side with Diptic)

Superimpose: Similar to Photoforge2's Layers/Masks options but easier to use in many situations. Most often I use it to isolate an image, delete the surrounding background, and place the remaining image on a new background.

View attachment 23460
(Superimpose used to place R2D2 onto a Disney drawing; which was then aged with Snapseed to help blend the two.)

ToonPaint:
Create black-and-white line drawings from your photos (color can be painted back in later if desired). Great controls for adjusting line width, black/white/grey ratios, etc. Much more refined than most "cartoon-ify" apps.

View attachment 23459
(ToonPaint used to turn a photo of my dog into a drawing; Photoforge2 used to insert him into the album cover.)

PreviewMaker/iWrapper: A bit of a specialty app, but one I use often when reviewing apps on my site. Both of these use your own screenshots and place them in an image frame for a device of your choosing. I began with PreviewMaker when it was a Cydia-only app; Apple has recently reversed its stance on using iOS device images in screenshot apps so it's now available in the App Store. However, it hasn't been updated for the iPhone 5 yet--so for now I'm using iWrapper. Very similar, but I prefer the workflow of PreviewMaker.

Honorable Mentions:

I just discovered Glaze, which applies painterly effects to photos. The big plus here is that it does a much better job than most apps. Downside is that the controls aren't very adjustable once you're in a given effect. (You can, however, layer effects.) Here is the shot from above, passed through a Glaze filter.

View attachment 23461
(a single pass through one of Glaze's effects.)

ToonCamera does a bit of what ToonPaint does, just not with the same attention to detail. It does, however, give you the option to use it in video mode, which is a very cool feature. It also provides a live preview, so you can see what your sketched images will look like before taking them.

Imgupr is a great way to upload images to Imgur. Easy to navigate and quick, it also makes it simple to copy the IMG codes used in forums like this one. Worth a look if you do a lot of screenshot attachments in places like iMore and don't have a good system yet for posting from your mobile.

GifBoom is a handy way to make animated gifs. It comes with a built-in social aspect that I never use as it's overrun with junior-high kids, but the gif creation works well, letting you use video, images, or text to make your gif. It also provides you with Instagram-style filters, as well as backgrounds, borders, fonts, etc, and can export to the usual facebook/tumblr/sms and so on. There are plenty of other gif apps out there (Cinemagram is a cool variation that allows you to animate a single part of a video, leaving the rest as a still image) if this one doesn't fit the bill.

View attachment 23463

Awesome thanks for the huge list of apps

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
MangaCamera - Free it's a fun little app that allows you to set a Manga styled frame and then take a picture that will be mangaized. It is very limited in a few areas, it only uses pictures taken within the app. It will not apply the effect to images that are already in the Camera Roll. It is still a fun little app to play around with though.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to find a need to download a cam app. I find the built in cam powerful enough.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Many of the ones mentioned here are not for taking pictures, but for playing with the image afterward?you might enjoy those.

iPhoneandJesusLover

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey.
I think the all time best camera for me at least is Kitcam.

Kitcam has numerous settings and different levels of customization with your photos. It shoots photos an videos. Before, I was using camera plus. Now I just use Kitcam for all of my photography needs.
You guys can find it on the App Store for 1.99.

Thanks!

P.S here are some landscape photos I took with it. They are edited by the same app as well. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355161515.074663.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1355161527.046929.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1355161548.133400.jpg

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey.
I think the all time best camera for me at least is Kitcam.

Kitcam has numerous settings and different levels of customization with your photos. It shoots photos an videos. Before, I was using camera plus. Now I just use Kitcam for all of my photography needs.
You guys can find it on the App Store for 1.99.

Thanks!

P.S here are some landscape photos I took with it. They are edited by the same app as well. View attachment 23948View attachment 23949View attachment 23950

Nice pics, good job

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711