Photo orientation issues
Since updating to ios6, my photo orientation is screwed up.
1. If I take a photo in portrait orientation, it shows up as portrait on my phone but as landscape when exporting to my PC. It's not the end of the world, but is annoying.
2. If taking a landscape orientation photo, the photo is upside down if the shutter button is on the left side of the viewfinder (volume buttons on the top right). The only way to get the proper orientation is to have the volume buttons on the bottom left (on screen shutter button on the right). This happened in ios5 as well, but still is an issue that I figured they would have fixed - especially because they called being able to use the volume up button as a shutter button a new "feature" with ios5.
Is anyone else having this issue and/or have a fix?
- 09-28-2012, 09:17 AM #2
- 10-26-2012, 11:12 AM #4iPhone Nanite
- 2 Posts
Re: Photo orientation issues
I don't think this is actually a 'problem', although it can be annoying. I think that orientation is saved in the picture's EXIF. Picture viewers in the iPhone look at the EXIF to properly display the orientation. My Windows Vista default photo viewer doesn't read the orientation in the EXIF and displays the images sideways (or upside down) as you describe. However I have a third-party photo viewer on my PC that does correctly read the EXIF and displays the images with the correct orientation.
The benefit of the orientation being stored in EXIF is that the original Jpeg doesn't have to be re-saved (with a 2nd round of quality degradation). I THINK that the iPhone camera app does this EXIF 'trick' with cropping too. Cropping will show up correctly on your phone but on your computer, if the cropping attribute isn't processed by your PC's photo viewer, it will display the original uncropped image (my 3rd party software mentioned above doesn't and I've been surprised to see the uncropped pic on my PC). Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in with which types of on-phone photo edits are saved as EXIF data rather than actually modifying the image?
- 01-09-2013, 05:39 AM #6
- By Chop in forum iPad 3Replies: 9Last Post: 12-05-2013, 04:23 AM
- By DZD in forum iPhone 4SReplies: 0Last Post: 02-13-2012, 12:01 AM
- By BreakingKayfabe in forum iPhone 4Replies: 6Last Post: 02-09-2011, 12:46 PM
- By sudhakararaog in forum iPhone Apps & GamesReplies: 0Last Post: 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM