Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Default Making your own macro/fisheye lens for iPhone.

I really want a clip on lens for my iPhone and would like to try making one first. I know I could use either the lenses from a disposapal camera or the lens from a cd/DVD drive. Then maybe blue tack or build into an iPhone case that clips on. Just wondering if you guys know of any other ways I could go about this or if you have tried it before what the downfalls may be.

Thanks.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

No help at all guys?
    iPhone Newbie

I've never tried myself, but I'd imagine that the down side is it's kind of a lot of work. Also, gluing to a case seems like it wouldn't save any money than buying say a because most cases inexpensive cases cost about the same.

Also, you're just with that case. But I suppose that if you don't glue it to something then you'll lose it. Personally, I'd just laydown the 15 bucks for something like that easy macro band or, if I had the extra cash, the olloclip.

Unless you're really into the whole DIY of it and the parts. All you need is a case you're willing to use and an old DVD/Playstation/Disk reader lens.
    iPhone Newbie

Oh, I just thought of two things!

I took a look at my own case and realized it wouldn't work very well because it has a lip. It would probably cause some pretty significant vignetting that would be unwelcome most of the time. I don't have the thinnest case, but I'd wager it's a fairly typical thickness. You want to find a way to make the lens lie as flat as possible to minimize vignetting.

Secondly, you might want to consider trying to glue a small washer-like magnet to the lens instead of the case idea. It might help the vignetting.

I'd like to here what you decide to do and happy DIY-ing!