Making your own macro/fisheye lens for iPhone.

Dean211284

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I really want a clip on lens for my iPhone and would like to try making one first. I know I could use either the lenses from a disposapal camera or the lens from a cd/DVD drive. Then maybe blue tack or build into an iPhone case that clips on. Just wondering if you guys know of any other ways I could go about this or if you have tried it before what the downfalls may be.

Thanks.

ahals

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never tried myself, but I'd imagine that the down side is it's kind of a lot of work. Also, gluing to a case seems like it wouldn't save any money than buying say a Easy Macro Cell Lens Band because most cases inexpensive cases cost about the same.

Also, you're just with that case. But I suppose that if you don't glue it to something then you'll lose it. Personally, I'd just laydown the 15 bucks for something like that easy macro band or, if I had the extra cash, the olloclip.

Unless you're really into the whole DIY of it and the parts. All you need is a case you're willing to use and an old DVD/Playstation/Disk reader lens.

ahals

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I just thought of two things!

I took a look at my own case and realized it wouldn't work very well because it has a lip. It would probably cause some pretty significant vignetting that would be unwelcome most of the time. I don't have the thinnest case, but I'd wager it's a fairly typical thickness. You want to find a way to make the lens lie as flat as possible to minimize vignetting.

Secondly, you might want to consider trying to glue a small washer-like magnet to the lens instead of the case idea. It might help the vignetting.

I'd like to here what you decide to do and happy DIY-ing!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73