What's the big deal about Instagram?

SimonSage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
So, there's apparently a whole lot of drama about Instagram going to Android, but honestly, I never understood the appeal in the first place. I don't see much value in creating mobile-only social networks, which is also why I never got into BBM or Path. If I'm going to bother sharing pictures, I'll want to share it to all of my friends, or failing that, themed communities like Foodspotter.

To be honest, I'm not too surprised about the outcry from some iOS users; by creating an insulated social network, Instagram was naturally engendering a clique-y, elitist mindset. Maybe those of you active on Instagram can help clarify things a bit, particularly on what the appeal is of the app versus some generic photo app with filters and just sharing to Facebook.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I can't compare this to Path. This is just about picture sharing. People who love to take pics like myself and also like to see pics others are taking.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't compare this to Path. This is just about picture sharing. People who love to take pics like myself and also like to see pics others are taking.

That pretty much sums it up for me, as well. I like taking pictures... and posting them for friends... there are also mechanisms built in to share with twitter, facebook, email and other social networks... but it's just an easy and fun way to share photos.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
For me it's cool to look through and share pics. If someone sends me a flicker link with 100 pics I'm not going to look at them, it's to many. Just to be able to scroll thought 20 or 30 pics throughout the day is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Until now I never even realized it was ios-only. To me, getting upset about an Android version is ridiculous?akin to wanting Facebook to only work on a Mac.

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
its also like when facebook used to be for college students only.

but honestly, the drama is STUPID.

i personally love instagram because its another way to share my life with people. being "mobile only" does suck...but it allowed me to reach people OUTSIDE of my regular network. i have around 350 followers and growing...and probably less than 50 of those followers are from facebook.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner