Editing videos?

cinco312

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've got quite a few videos I've taken a while back which are upside down. I'm trying to rotate them but can't figure out how to save them. I'm using Quicktime Pro, when I play the video it's fine, I go to save as and open it with VLC and it's back to being upside down. I don't know what to do.

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
try iMovie on a mac[not sure about iOS devices]. i know they have a "rotate" function. windows movie player probably has something similar.

the only downside is you'll have to do each video individually, which is very tedious.

there are some apps in the app store that rotate/flip videos...but i can't give any recommendations. it'll still be a little tedious though.

try doing some youtube searches. there are ALOT of helpful tutorials out there.

cinco312

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank for the info. I don't have a Mac. So I can't use iMovie. I prefer something on the PC. I'm gonna keep on looking and give windows media a try.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Brooklyn,

My Quicktime Pro key expired, so unfortunately I can't go and look to see what I did, but I had the same issue as you. I believe that the issue revolves around the "Save as" function. If I remember correctly, and again, this is going back a couple of years to when I used to use QTP, I believe once you rotate the video portion of the video, you have to actually do an export to a new file, instead of saving it.

When you just do "save as", I believe all that is done is the exif data for the video is changed so that any Quicktime programs will display the video with the proper orientation, but aftermarket programs, like VLC, don't read all of the data, and therefore play the video as it was originally intended.

I know there is a thread in the Apple Quicktime support forums on Apple's website (probably thousands), as that is where I found the correct way to export the videos so that they play properly. If I have time later, I'll see if I can scour the interwebz for the specific answer, but in the mean time, check out Apple's site and see if they have the walkthrough.

cinco312

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying the export feature now. It looks like it's a long tedious process. I'm using my 10 second upside down video I just made to see if it works, so I don't waste a bunch of time. I also downloaded Adobe Premier Elements. I didn't try it yet.

I appreciate the info. I sent you a PM.

cinco312

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I figured it out using QT7. You have to use the export function. And you have to use a custom MP4 profile, as the regular mp4 profile re sizes the resolution to 350x240, which is obviously unacceptable.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Got your PM. Glad I set you on the right track and it sounds like you've got it working now. I use Adobe Premier Pro and/or after effects now if I need to rotate videos. It's a LOT easier and less of a hassle to do there, but the high product price will likely keep most consumers away.

I actually purchased Quicktime Pro years ago when I ran into the same issue with rotating Quicktime movies, and after searching the internet for literally hours, I finally found that QT Pro was what was needed, and at a reasonable cost. I can't say it's the best solution out there. I feel that Apple could surely simplify the process somewhat, because I think rotating videos should be something more intuitive than the options present in the current iteration of Quicktime Pro. Seems to me that they could implement a much simpler "rotate video" option, instead of making you have to manually select the video track, rotate it, and then export it into a new file.

I vaguely remember having to select the new MP4 profile, but I don't recall it resizing the video or anything like that, but I was using the PC version, so it may different somewhat in case you're using the Mac version.

Glad to help out!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73