Upside down videos

FarmerSara

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to invert videos? I have taken some great footage on my iPhone 4 - when uploaded to laptop it is all running upside down - OK I've only had the phone a couple of weeks - I'll work out how to get it right in future, but in the meantime, need help!

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
First of all, to prevent it from happening in the future, make sure to position the camera to the correct orientation before you begin recording. You'll usually hold it there for a second or to in order to allow the accelerometer and gyro to determine what position your camera is in. This will ensure that your video will be correct once you finish recording.

As far as rotating or inverting your footage, that may be a bit more difficult. I use QuickTime Pro when I have this problem. Other programs might also be able to do it as well, but might be more expensive. I think Quicktime Pro is either $29.99 or $49.99. iPhone videos use the Quicktime format, which actually makes them more difficult to rotate, at least in my experience. And even in Quicktime Pro, the procedure to rotate videos isn't exactly straightforward. You have to open the video, and then go into the video properties settings, and then set the rotation to 90 degree, 180, etc. And then you need to export the video to a new video. It's kind of a pain from my experience, and sometimes it doesn't work too.

Maybe someone here will have a better workflow for rotating videos. You might also want to Google "how to I rotate a .mov video?" and see what comes up. Or replace ".mov" with "Quicktime" if you don't get any reliable search results.

Keep us posted!

wunhangios

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Brad is right on the money. You basically have to rip the video and re-encode frame by frame. QT Pro will do it. If you have iMovie, you can also get that to do it similarly. I've done it before using video from a P&S camera (Stupid me, I held it like a flip camcorder).

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
wunhangios is also right. You can VERY EASILY rotate the video using iMovie on the iMac. Not sure if it can be done on the iPhone though. I played around with iMovie on my iPhone and didn't see where it was possible. The iPhone version, while pretty cool, is still very limited compared to the Mac version.

If you have a PC though, you'll have to do what I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, Apple updated Quicktime Pro a few months ago and my old QTP license is no longer compatible. :(... Thus it makes it difficult for me to explain how it could be done on a PC with Quicktime Pro. I'm sure that if you searched Google for "How to rotate a video using Quicktime Pro", there will likely be a few bazillion hits. It will probably be more of a challenge sorting through the chaff to find a recent source for the latest How-To's.

Basically, it was relatively simple to do, when it worked. Quicktime Pro was an incredibly simple program. I was a bit underwhelmed when I purchased my license, but it did what I needed it to do that I couldn't do with any of the other sources available to me at the time. But if I remember correctly, you'd just open your video, and go into the properties tab. There you would see the separate audio track and video track. You would click to highlight the video track, and I think you could right-click on it to get to an additional properties menu where you could then be able to rotate the actual video. Once you did that, you would need to actually Export the video to a new file in order to save the changes and create the correctly oriented video. If you simply chose Save.. from the Quicktime Pro File Menu, it wouldn't actually save the video how you would expect. It was kind of a pain in the rear to learn how to use, but I remember once I figured it out, it was pretty easy to do with other videos. I did discover that certain .mov videos would not work or save properly with Quicktime Pro, however it was all video that was shot with a different camera as the source and not my iPhone.

Again, let us know how it works out for you!!

All the best!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods