Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

Default iPhone 5S vs. BlackBerry Z30

Hey guys,

I normally participate on Crackberry.com forums.

I know you guys love your iPhones and everything, but I love my BlackBerry phones.

Other than app count, and the obvious finger print scanning technology, what do you guys feel makes the iPhone 5S better than the BlackBerry Z30 (the upgrade from the Z10). Or rather, why would you buy an iPhone 5S (or even 5C for that matter) and not the new BlackBerry Z30 (when it is released in your country, soon I hope).

I totally am not bashing or trying to cause an ugly flaming war. I genuinely am interested!!

BlackBerry is my brand of choice, but I respect all brands and acknowledge their achievements, strengths and contributions to driving hardware/software innovation forward.

Lochran
    bizzyqu, Anilu7 and XDrew42 like this.

Global Posts
    20,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iPhone 5S vs. BlackBerry Z30

The iPhone simply does everything I need for it to do in regard to communications, whether visually or audibly, and Apple's customer service is second to none. As a self-professed Blackberry fanboy, I miss using Blackberry devices, however, I have no intentions of leaving the iPhone unless it stops serving it's purpose for me.
    Coachbulldog and Anilu7 like this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

So, what is the reason you would stay clear of the BlackBerry Z30?
    iMore Intermediate

For me it's the better hardware, smaller size, iOS, and iCloud. Having everything in sync between my Mac and iPhone is efficient and a time saver. The smaller size allows for easy one handed use. iOS is just so speedy and easy to use, and the large app catalog doesn't hurt. Safari is the best mobile browser IMO, just really fast and iCloud tabs is really nice. Touch ID really is a time saver as well. Overall I just like the feel of this device.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

So, how is the iPhone 5S hardware better than the BlackBerry Z30? There are quite a few high end hardware features the BlackBerry Z30 has that the iPhone 5S doesn't have.

Interesting thoughts on Safari. I gave the same feelings on the BlackBerry 10 browser.
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 7

I bought my first iPhone in 2009. I am currently waiting for my iPhone 5S to be deliver; it will arrive tomorrow. Ever since I became an iPhone owner I stopped looking at other smart phones. My phone does everything I want it to do and need it to do, and more. Between the apps that organize my life, the camera, the size (I have small hands and do not want a large phone), the graphics, and very soon the speed and even better performance. I can't wait for the camera, speed, and color (gold).
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal Efficiency View Post
    So, how is the iPhone 5S hardware better than the BlackBerry Z30? There are quite a few high end hardware features the BlackBerry Z30 has that the iPhone 5S doesn't have.

Interesting thoughts on Safari. I gave the same feelings on the BlackBerry 10 browser.
    I'm talking about raw processing power. The A7 is faster then the Z30's processor which is the S4 IIRC. I'm a bit confused as to why you are comparing the two. Is it just because you want to see why we picked the 5s, or is it because you are considering switching.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,112 Global Posts

If I were in the market for a new phone, unfortunately BB wouldn't be on my list. At one time they were as a Storm 1, Storm 2, and 9930 user.

Given the cost and investment in, and reliance upon the phone and ecosystem; and while I harbor no ill will or sentiments, just don't see BB being a good move at this time.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,449 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Here's the thing...besides maybe a handful of people who have used both the 5S and the Z30 with balanced time given to both devices, you're not going to get a very unbiased report back to your question on either side of the fence. I can only go by what I read about online, which truly doesn't give me the first idea what it's really like to use the Z30, and vice versa, your experience with the Z30 doesn't give you the first clue what it's like to live with the 5S (or 5c, but that's a different forum and a different conversation).

What can I deduce from what I read online? The biggest differences between the two devices fall mainly in the OS...iOS is a cleaner running, more polished and optimized experience...and why shouldn't it be? iOS has had a lot more time than BB10 to become what it has, to work out the wrinkles and to perfect what Apple intends to give it's consumer base...BB10 is like a new born (all things considered), and while a pretty substantial improvement to what people come to expect from touch screen smart devices these days, it's still crawling while iOS is in a full blown sprint (not to be confused with Sprint, which is terrible, lol).

Other areas of dominance would be in the camera department...there's no two ways about it, the 5S's camera is better (even the 5's camera was better, which means the 5c's camera is also better, since it's the same one). You have a more attractive chassis (though this flirts with opinionated vs. factual, but I think we can agree that Apple serves up a more visually striking device than the Blackberry offerings...it's kind of Apple's forte...they make technology sexy, and it's part of the reason they've found so much success). The 5S offers the fastest processing power on the market right now, so you have speed going for the new iPhone...and while I could probably find a few more examples, each time I list something, it's just going to seem more and more "fan boyish" to a person who is looking at our yard from the other side of the fence.

In the end though, it comes down to what you ask of your own particular device...the Z30 could be the infinitely better choice for you, but for me, it could be exactly the opposite. The iPhone 5S is the best phone I have ever owned...just like each and every one of the previous iPhone's were when they were released. It's a supercharged version of what I considered the perfect smart phone (with the iPhone 5). Does that make the Z30 a lesser device? To me, absolutely...I wouldn't own the Z30 for a few reasons, mainly because I find BB10 quite a few steps back compared to what I'm used to, but also, because Blackberry (unfortunately) is heading down the spiraling drain, and development, I'm afraid, will be so shallow...so what is there to look forward to? A phone that will kind of remain stagnant where it is now? Sure...it's a great device, but what about the faults? I don't want to invest in something that will most likely live with the faults due to a dried up company in the captains chair.

The iPhone is better than the Z30 in many ways, equal in many ways and maybe a bit underwhelming in a choice few ways...but in the end, it is the phone that suits me the best, and that's not just against the Z30 or any Blackberry device, that's against ANY device on the market. They all have their own flavor, their own high points and low points...but if we are speaking about pure on facts here, I've listed those above, and it comes down to personal taste.

The really sad part is that these new comers to Blackberry's family of devices are a swan song, and will be met with a shadowy neutral point when Blackberry finally just ceases momentum in this arena. Everyone sees it coming, and as a consumer, I'm not at all happy about it.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    blackmagicwoman (10-06-2013)
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

I'm just interested in a comparison.

BlackBerry Z30 has a very powerful GPU.

I think for me, on the hardware side, I use HDMI Out, Miracast and have already kitted my office, bedroom and various rooms in the house with Qi Wireless Charging. Also, USA OTG will feature heavily in my life when I purchase my Z30.

Besides, I reckon the design of the Z30 is on par, if not better than, the iPhone 5/5S.
    bizzyqu and Anilu7 like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Other than app count, and the obvious finger print scanning technology, what do you guys feel makes the iPhone 5S better than the BlackBerry Z30 (the upgrade from the Z10). Or rather, why would you buy an iPhone 5S (or even 5C for that matter) and not the new BlackBerry Z30 (when it is released in your country, soon I hope).
    I don't really feel like I need to waste my time explaining the reason's why I like my iPhone 5S to you when you already stated here "BlackBerry is my brand of choice". What purpose does explaining why we like it to you when you have no interest in getting one anyway?

I totally am not bashing or trying to cause an ugly flaming war. I genuinely am interested!!
    If you're that interested in why we love our iPhone 5S's, why don't you get one and see for yourself why we love it so much.
    Thanked by:
    mzengr (10-06-2013)
    iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,895 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Whenever there is something vs something else that indicates competition. There is no competition here in my opinion. The specs don't really matter.

Apple IPhone is so far ahead of the game it just no fight. It's not about hardware. Apples support and ecosystem is unmatched. Android is close in that area.
    I couldn't go with a device that may be end of life in a year and the apps aren't there and it's all about the apps. The hardware doesn't matter if there are just a few apps to for the hardware to run. The apps that are essential to my productivity aren't made for BB.

Having killer hardware and a few apps is like having a 70 inch Super HD TV with rabbit ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
    dianahk likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

when I purchase my Z30.

Besides, I reckon the design of the Z30 is on par, if not better than, the iPhone 5/5S.
    Hold on a sec, ya lost me here. You don't even own the Z30 yet, nor do you own the iPhone 5S. Therefore I hardly think you are qualified to make a design comparison between the two.
    rdiddy_25 and mikeo007 like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,449 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I'm just interested in a comparison.

BlackBerry Z30 has a very powerful GPU.

I think for me, on the hardware side, I use HDMI Out, Miracast and have already kitted my office, bedroom and various rooms in the house with Qi Wireless Charging. Also, USA OTG will feature heavily in my life when I purchase my Z30.

Sure, the Z30 has a powerful GPU, most phones do these days...otherwise they wouldn't sell because people would flock to the more powerful device. The 5S is on top for now...it will be dethroned in the future (probably by Samsung in early 2014), and then they'll switch back and forth over and over again.

HDMi out is pointless to me when I can do the same things wirelessly, I could care less about Miracast because of it's vicinity restrictions, wireless charging is kind of funny to me (really because it still requires the placement of the device on a base station, which to me is no more convenient than a simple plug in the wall, all things considered.

And design? I mean again, it's really an opinionated stance at best, so saying one is designed better than the other is trivial...we could go on account of which one more people would prefer visually, and even the most loyal of Blackberry fans would have to admit that Apple controls that aspect across the spectrum of their devices. As shallow as it sounds, some people truly do buy Apple products because they look cool...I can't remember anyone ever buying a Blackberry device because of the same, and they've had a lot longer to try and do such, lol.

Just putting this out there, but are you really interested in comparison? Or just listing off features of the Z30 and opinions about why you prefer it in the hopes that you can catch someone off guard here to start a debate? There's no debate to be had honestly, you prefer the BB device, 99% of the members here (that regularly traffic this forum) don't agree with you.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

Irish Rose, there is no need to become defensive.

I choose BlackBerry for very specific reasons that iPhone and iOS cannot offer at this stage. If you think that this should give me no right to question other people's interests in competing products, then that's very strange.

I did a lot of research before choosing BlackBerry 10, and I will continue doing research to make sure that BlackBerry still serves my chosen needs, and that if other brands do it better, then I will love over to them.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,449 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Hold on a sec, ya lost me here. You don't even own the Z30 yet, nor do you own the iPhone 5S. Therefore I hardly think you are qualified to make a design comparison between the two.
    I just noticed that.

It becomes instantly clear what this post really is unfortunately. OP...come back when you've selected a phone and actually purchased it so that we can further discuss the merits of which phone does what function better. Right now, you've really no place to argue one way or another.
    kch50428 and mikeo007 like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Irish Rose, there is no need to become defensive.

I choose BlackBerry for very specific reasons that iPhone and iOS cannot offer at this stage. If you think that this should give me no right to question other people's interests in competing products, then that's very strange.

I did a lot of research before choosing BlackBerry 10, and I will continue doing research to make sure that BlackBerry still serves my chosen needs, and that if other brands do it better, then I will love over to them.
    I simply pointed out that since you do not own the Z30 yet you can not make a comparison in saying that one is of a better design than the other. One can not simply go by looking a something when it comes to the design. You need to actually hold the two side by side to see which one feels better in the hand. For me, that would be my 5S. I gave up Blackberry's when I sold my old Bold 9900.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 10-06-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,895 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Sure, the Z30 has a powerful GPU, most phones do these days...otherwise they wouldn't sell because people would flock to the more powerful device. The 5S is on top for now...it will be dethroned in the future (probably by Samsung in early 2014), and then they'll switch back and forth over and over again.

HDMi out is pointless to me when I can do the same things wirelessly, I could care less about Miracast because of it's vicinity restrictions, wireless charging is kind of funny to me (really because it still requires the placement of the device on a base station, which to me is no more convenient than a simple plug in the wall, all things considered.

And design? I mean again, it's really an opinionated stance at best, so saying one is designed better than the other is trivial...we could go on account of which one more people would prefer visually, and even the most loyal of Blackberry fans would have to admit that Apple controls that aspect across the spectrum of their devices. As shallow as it sounds, some people truly do buy Apple products because they look cool...I can't remember anyone ever buying a Blackberry device because of the same, and they've had a lot longer to try and do such, lol.

Just putting this out there, but are you really interested in comparison? Or just listing off features of the Z30 and opinions about why you prefer it in the hopes that you can catch someone off guard here to start a debate? There's no debate to be had honestly, you prefer the BB device, 99% of the members here (that regularly traffic this forum) don't agree with you.
    Wow I forgot all about HDMI out since Airplay. The only device I had with it was the EVO and I never used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"

Global Posts
    14,876 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I was a longtime BlackBerry user who switched to iPhone last year. I don't know where this thread is going. We obviously prefer our iPhones. For me I prefer iOS because it works for me, it does everything I need it to do. I like the size, safari and all the new features of iOS 7. Bottom line, use whatever device works for you
    that_maynard and Anilu7 like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Believing that on paper a processor is faster than another just because 1.X is larger than 1.X, tells me a lot about your knowledge in cellular phones.

A lot of things entail how a phone performs, and processor speed is only one of them. The are a bunch of quad-core processors out there with specs that are through the roof, but their performance fall very short of the iPhones 1.3Ghz dual-core A7 processor.

In any case, back on topic, I believe that these "Phone A vs. Phone B" topics are generally very pointless. At the end of the day, a phone that I like and feel is great, may be the complete opposite of what you think is a great phone. However, on paper, many phones out there beat the iPhone. In the real world? the iPhone generally comes out on top.

To me? The iPhone is a beautiful device that does everything that I need it to, and then some. Not only that, but, it is also very pleasing to the yes, much more than any other phone out on the market right now. Keep in mind, these are my opinions. Your mileage may vary...
    si001 likes this.

Global Posts
    20,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Obviously, I'm in the minority here, but I did not think Lochran was being mean, trollish or disrespectful when he created this thread. Even his responses have been low-key and respectful. Those of us who frequent device-specific forums will rarely understand why an outsider enters the domain of another and compares, debates, or ask why we choose our devices over the ones they use. It is what it is, but still, in regard to Lochran, let's answer his questions and move on....
    Thanked by:
    Anilu7 (10-25-2013), Irish Rose (10-06-2013), mzengr (10-06-2013)
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

Sorry guys if I seemed rude.

I'm not trying to cause an argument. I am simply wondering why, in your eyes, do you think the iPhone 5S is more appropriate for purchase in comparison to the BB Z30 and then mentally comparing it to my thoughts.

If I thought that the iPhone 5S was more appropriate for my purchase, then Apple would have my $850 for a 16GB version. I'm just trying to have a general overview of your thoughts. There are parts of the iPhone that I really really like, but there are more things about BlackBerry 10 as a whole that I like. Unless you are a clone of myself, you will not Value everything that I value and because I am not the same as you guys, then I don't value what you value, and therefore am wondering what it is you value about the 5S, as I obviously don't know.

As you all know, BlackBerry is in a tricky spot right now. I am just trying to make sense of the reasons why BlackBerry products are not so appealing. Even though the BlackBerry Z30 is doing well in the places it has launched, how well it does after the launch vibe has worn off will be a different story. It is no iPhone, hut you cannot deny that it does have benefits over the iPhone in some areas as the iPhone has over BlackBerry 10 in some areas.

I know design is not all about looking at a picture, and that you have to pick it up, but aesthetically I do prefer the BlackBerry Z30 BUT I can see why people prefer the iPhone 5S. The Q10 and Z10 feel great in my big ugly hands, as the iPhone feels slightly narrow. iPhone probably feels better for people with smaller hands though.
    bizzyqu, Anilu7 and ankush77 like this.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

When did I say that it is more powerful than an iPhone 5S? I was just saying that it has a powerful GPU, which BlackBerry phones normally don't have, and now they do. I never said it has better graphics than iOS products because I KNOW that iOS products have good graphics. I do own iOS and Mac products.

Comparing specs of the processors that run platforms is not very accurate anyway, as the system all run differently anyway. iOS and BlackBerry 10 don't need massive processors to run their systems smoothly, as the software is very well optimised. Android needs a very powerful processor to run their 13,000,000 lines of code smoothly.

I am sorry for bringing up GPU, as I myself don't agree with processor comparisons, especially as I think all BlackBerry 10 phones run smooth enough and without lag. Especially after all the maintenance releases.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Sorry guys if I seemed rude.

I'm not trying to cause an argument. I am simply wondering why, in your eyes, do you think the iPhone 5S is more appropriate for purchase in comparison to the BB Z30 and then mentally comparing it to my thoughts.

If I thought that the iPhone 5S was more appropriate for my purchase, then Apple would have my $850 for a 16GB version. I'm just trying to have a general overview of your thoughts. There are parts of the iPhone that I really really like, but there are more things about BlackBerry 10 as a whole that I like. Unless you are a clone of myself, you will not Value everything that I value and because I am not the same as you guys, then I don't value what you value, and therefore am wondering what it is you value about the 5S, as I obviously don't know.

As you all know, BlackBerry is in a tricky spot right now. I am just trying to make sense of the reasons why BlackBerry products are not so appealing. Even though the BlackBerry Z30 is doing well in the places it has launched, how well it does after the launch vibe has worn off will be a different story. It is no iPhone, hut you cannot deny that it does have benefits over the iPhone in some areas as the iPhone has over BlackBerry 10 in some areas.

I know design is not all about looking at a picture, and that you have to pick it up, but aesthetically I do prefer the BlackBerry Z30 BUT I can see why people prefer the iPhone 5S. The Q10 and Z10 feel great in my big ugly hands, as the iPhone feels slightly narrow. iPhone probably feels better for people with smaller hands though.
    Is the 16GB 5S really $850 for you? That seems really high. I got the 64GB for that here in the US. I don't think you were being rude, I just didn't want you to think that my reply to you was defensive when that wasn't the case. Good luck with your comparison here. At the end of the day we're all going to use whatever phone works best for our needs anyway and that is really all that matters. Take care and welcome to iMore.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    JustMe'D and Anilu7 like this.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    964 Global Posts

Actually, $869 AUD. Which is $819.73 USD, however, Apple has always priced Australia higher than USA, even when AUD was higher than USD, which would have priced it around $900.

64GB is $1,129AUD, which is $1,064.99USD.
    Anilu7 likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast