Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts

Default It's finally comparison day . . .

I don't get to the city often, today I have to go for meetings and have a few hours to kill with a vzw corp store nearby. I had been wavering between iphone and dna and bb for a while now but just felt like I needed to wait till the z10 was out.

There's only so much one can do online to get a feel for this, but I'm putting this here because I think ip5 may be my leader going in, and I just wanted to thank so many of you for what I've been able to learn here; rene, sean, 'd, john yester, keith, alli, jaguar come to mind, you guys/gals are cool and makes me want to be part of this family. Another factor was a respected ac person coming over first, bradenfontaine, if you're reading this bud thanks.

I just reread this, and gosh I sound pathetic and lonely, but hey here goes . . any closing thoughts and nudgings are welcome
    Last edited by revtech; 04-02-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Global Posts
    11,978 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: It's finally comparison day . . .

Look. Play. Compare. Get the one that suits you, and don't look back.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-02-2013)
    JustMe'D and charlyee like this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Only thing I can say is pick the phone that best suits your needs. For example, mine is movies and TV, and
    Amazon can not be beat for that. Since Android doesn't have the Instant Video app, I'm sticking with my iPhone 5.
    But if it ever becomes available in Android, I'd get a Note 2, or the Note 3, in a second, due to the much bigger screen.
    Again, whichever phone meets YOUR needs is the best phone. Good luck and let us know what you get!
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-02-2013)
    JustMe'D and tgp like this.

Global Posts
    23,001 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    'nuf said...
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-02-2013)
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Just realized I recognize those 5 digits, would you happen to be from clear lake?

Global Posts
    11,978 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    Just realized I recognize those 5 digits, would you happen to be from clear lake?
    yep.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts

Definitely an eye-opening experience. Two overall observations right off the bat; it's really hard to get a feel for a device when its tethered to two cords and has a large clunky security device locked on the back. . and its hard to put it through real world use when the homescreens and contacts are all screwed up by previous customers playing around with it. Also found it difficult to separate if something didn't work smoothly because of the software or because I was unfamiliar with it.

Last place seems to go to the dna. This surprised me because I use an android tablet and just figured it would be most familiar to me; but I hated it and couldn't seem to figure out where stuff was. I'm guessing this is either because of the 'sense' ui (probably) or because I didn't take the time to set it up and make it 'mine'. I liked the screen size but the ui turned me off.

Loved the size and feel of the z10, but even though I thought I watched every tutorial I could in preparation for this it still just seemed 'off'. I'm sure 90% of this would be me getting used to it, I mostly enjoyed it but I can't put my finger on what was 'off' to me. I really thought the maps were really slow and glitchy, and there were a few times where I couldn't figure out why the ui/software did what it did or made me go 'wth'.

Iphone5 seemed to provide me with the best overall experience, but dang I wished it was z10 sized. It was comical that I kept wanting to swipe like I did on the z10 or use a back button like on the dna, but at least I could mostly figure out what I needed to do; and it did kinda have back button functionality once I noticed that at the top left there was usually a button that took me back to the last level of whatever I was in. Camera was the best of the 3 imo.

Could write alot more but thats enough for now. This is probably more for my own sake to help me sort out my thoughts, but certainly any reflections from y'all would be welcomed.

Thanks for listening
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Hmmm, I may be wrong, but it seems like the Z10 might be the winner. If it has the apps you want/need, get it. Usually there is
    an amount of time you have to exchange a phone, so you've nothing to lose. The "something off" thing will
    probably go away once you use and get familiar with the phone.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-03-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,057 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Revtech, what are you looking for an expecting out of a smartphone?
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ctdog View Post
    Hmmm, I may be wrong, but it seems like the Z10 might be the winner. If it has the apps you want/need, get it. Usually there is
    an amount of time you have to exchange a phone, so you've nothing to lose. The "something off" thing will
    probably go away once you use and get familiar with the phone.
    Might seem that way, but really its a 1a/1b kind of situation, I also realized after posting that I could probably just put a different launcher on the dna too and that would take care of sense.

Maybe this sounds stupid, but I really can't overemphasize what a pita it was to have the phones all tethered and locked up, I get why they have to do it but I wish there was some way that was secure for them where I could sit down with all 3 devices and compare/play without having to run back and forth to different corners of the store and deal with all the lockdowns; but I know that's just my quirkiness.

One thing I will say about why I want to like the iphone is its simplicity in this sense, an ios device is an ios device and they're all basically on the same software and very similar hardware. Don't get me wrong, I love options and choice is good, and I know some see this as a negative instead of a positive, but there's something about going android where there's moto and htc and samsung and lg and sony and huawei etc running jelly bean 4.2 and 4.1 and ics and gingerbread and sense and touchjiz etc etc. . . Something just seems more freeing to me to say 'yup, I have an iphone'. Idk.

/ramble
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry Guy View Post
    Revtech, what are you looking for an expecting out of a smartphone?
    Mostly texting, calendar, notes, and keeping up with email. Can also see using maps and keeping up with facebook/twitter. I guess I'm getting tired of logging in and finding 100's +/- emails/etc to deal with, would rather handle them on a regular basis throughout the day. I'm coming from a flip phone so I'm looking more at what I *could* do with a smartphone than just current use cases. I like what I can do on my tablet but its wifi only, so I'm thinking it would be really nice to do what I do with my tablet but have it be in my pocket and able to access service anywhere there is coverage.

Texting is huge for me, so I guess thats one problem is I found it much harder for some reason to type on the iphone than the other 2 (I'm guessing size?). Possibly just a matter of getting used to it since I'm used to typing on a 10" tablet.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts

Give them all an objective look, and pick the one that is best for YOU.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-03-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,057 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Mostly texting, calendar, notes, and keeping up with email. Can also see using maps and keeping up with facebook/twitter. I guess I'm getting tired of logging in and finding 100's +/- emails/etc to deal with, would rather handle them on a regular basis throughout the day. I'm coming from a flip phone so I'm looking more at what I *could* do with a smartphone than just current use cases. I like what I can do on my tablet but its wifi only, so I'm thinking it would be really nice to do what I do with my tablet but have it be in my pocket and able to access service anywhere there is coverage.

Texting is huge for me, so I guess thats one problem is I found it much harder for some reason to type on the iphone than the other 2 (I'm guessing size?). Possibly just a matter of getting used to it since I'm used to typing on a 10" tablet.
    All smartphones these days handle PIM, messaging, email and social media fairly well. Of the 3 you're looking at, the iPhone had the best app and accessory selections, if you're looking to expand your use of a phone. The keyboard is a little narrower than the other two, but it's not bad at all once you get use to it. Android will have decent app support and will let you tinker to your hearts desire. You will however be at the mercy of the manufacturer for OS updates if it's not a Nexus device. As for BlackBerry, I've always found their greatest strength to be their ergonomics and their physical features. Many have stated that the virtual keyboard is among the best. The LED is great for alerting you there's something waiting without you having to physically turn on thr display. The new gesture based OS let's you zip around with only one thumb. The down side of course, is the well known lack of apps when compared to the other 2 platforms. No one really knows if this will get significantly better with BB10.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-03-2013)
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts

So what's a blackberry guy doing on an imore forum replying with a z10?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,057 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So what's a blackberry guy doing on an imore forum replying with a z10?
    Lol

This BlackBerry Guy also uses a 3rd gen iPad and 5th gen iPod touch . I love all my fruits equally.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    mikeo007 and revtech like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry Guy View Post
    All smartphones these days handle PIM, messaging, email and social media fairly well. Of the 3 you're looking at, the iPhone had the best app and accessory selections, if you're looking to expand your use of a phone. The keyboard is a little narrower than the other two, but it's not bad at all once you get use to it. Android will have decent app support and will let you tinker to your hearts desire. You will however be at the mercy of the manufacturer for OS updates if it's not a Nexus device. As for BlackBerry, I've always found their greatest strength to be their ergonomics and their physical features. Many have stated that the virtual keyboard is among the best. The LED is great for alerting you there's something waiting without you having to physically turn on thr display. The new gesture based OS let's you zip around with only one thumb. The down side of course, is the well known lack of apps when compared to the other 2 platforms. No one really knows if this will get significantly better with BB10.
    Very refreshing to have someone comment so...nicely...regarding the best features of various platforms. Responding on iMore using a Z10...and not being flagrantly biased is surprising indeed. Nice generalization on those platform opportunities, btw.
    Thanked by:
    BlackBerry Guy (04-03-2013)
    revtech likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,948 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by projectman View Post
    Very refreshing to have someone comment so...nicely...regarding the best features of various platforms. Responding on iMore using a Z10...and not being flagrantly biased is surprising indeed. Nice generalization on those platform opportunities, btw.
    He's one of the only folks I've ever seen from Crackberry who is able to be impartial. It's refreshing, but far too rare.

@rev - your needs are pretty basic, any modern phone could suit them. What about your wants? Anything you'd like to do with your phone, but it's not a dealbreaker?
    Thanked by:
    BlackBerry Guy (04-03-2013), revtech (04-03-2013)
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    @rev - your needs are pretty basic, any modern phone could suit them. What about your wants? Anything you'd like to do with your phone, but it's not a dealbreaker?
    Well yeah thats my problem, I will have to prioritize because my wants are conflicting; my stream of consciousness line of reasoning wanders like this . . .

I text alot, so the keyboard is important, and the z10 had a nice keyboard for prediction while the dna was easier because of larger targets; so the z10 seems to win there.

But maps are important too, and the maps seemed glitchy on the z10 and of course best on the dna with google maps, although I liked the apple maps fine too but found the screen size a bit small.

I like the ip5 for its simplicity in syncing and smooth/beautiful interface/operation and the overall unity of device and ecosystem (and of course the abundance of well-done apps), but last time I used an itouch I always seemed to be on websites where there was an imbedded video I couldn't view, and changing settings etc seemed more difficult.

I could go on but won't, I really think the problem here for me is if I could actually sit down undistracted and play with them in one place, at the same time, without clunky security devices attached, and with stuff loaded to use, I could decide for myself. For example I want to see how well it does gmail, but I can't tell unless I load an account. I want to see how notifications are handled, but I can't tell because none will be coming in to the phone. . . I guess thats what the 14 day return period is for right?
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts

Actually my problem is I'm neurotically indecisive and trying to find a perfect device that doesn't exist, sorry this got so out of hand, I'm sure many are just thinking just shut up and buy one :o

Global Posts
    11,978 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Get the iPhone5. You'll get used to the keyboard. If I can, anyone can.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-03-2013)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Actually my problem is I'm neurotically indecisive and trying to find a perfect device that doesn't exist, sorry this got so out of hand, I'm sure many are just thinking just shut up and buy one :o
    Yep, been going through the same thought process (but between WP8 and iPhone) for the last 2 weeks. Indecisive too. I too wanted the "best " device for my needs, but came to the realization that phone doesn't exist.

Two things I did: sat down and made a list of things I like/don't like about each phone I'm researching. Then, I prioritized what I really want out of a phone and compared it to my like/don't like list. Second, I thought about which phone I could see myself using for the next 2+ years without having a yearning to switch phones. " If something new came out, would I still be happy with my phone in 6 months? " was the question I had to ask myself.

I hope this helps you to decide.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-03-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

I personally find Apple's product support to be the best in the case that area carries any weight in your decision making process.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-03-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

My take on it is that which ever one you choose, you will be used to it within a couple days. Each device will have its positives, negatives, and quirks, but you will enjoy it just the same.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-03-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,057 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I text alot, so the keyboard is important, and the z10 had a nice keyboard for prediction while the dna was easier because of larger targets; so the z10 seems to win there.

But maps are important too, and the maps seemed glitchy on the z10 and of course best on the dna with google maps, although I liked the apple maps fine too but found the screen size a bit small.
    I don't think you can really go wrong with the keyboard for any of the 3 phones you were looking at. Whichever you chose, you'll get use to fairly quickly. I will add that Android gives you the ability to load 3rd party keyboards (sorry if this throws another wrench into your decision making haha ).

Maps on the Z10 are fairly basic. It works well enough for point A to B, but when compared to Google or Apple Maps, it just isn't as fully featured. Go with an iPhone and you get Apple Maps, plus the option for Google Maps if you don't find the former quite to your satisfaction.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-03-2013)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,776 Global Posts

I would just get an iphone and not look back. There's plenty of time to switch later. iOS makes it simple to at least get started and shows you what a smartphone is all about. The support is just a different animal. Something wrong with your iphone? Apple will swap it on the spot. Restore from icloud and you're back in business.

As BB Guy mentioned for loading up different keyboards in android, for iOS, you can focus on different sets of services. You into google? There's several apps. Amazon? Got that. A little bit of MS? That too. You're into Maps but what about Maps? 3rd party apps like Navigon offer more. Want to Skype, Facetime, or something else? Can do that.

If you got friends and family with iphones, you're compatible with them. If they got android, you can still download google ones.

Also, iOS 7 debuts in a couple of months. There really is an app for just about anything you want to do. There's also jailbreaking. BiteSMS makes texting much easier. You can automatically (or manually) record phone calls now...which is something you could do on Palm OS but has been missing in action for years now.

If you have an ipad, there's universal apps. If you get an apple tv, you can airplay to it. If it's a bigger screen you're wanting, I've no doubt it'll be there by the time you want to upgrade.

For the others though, I'd give BB a year to get their new OS going. MS always seems to need another year. For android, wait for the Nexus...you may as well get pure android and an off contract price to boot unless you like bloatware.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (04-04-2013)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast