Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    OK so I have been a huge Apple fan since the release of the iPhone 3G. I have had every Apple device in terms of phones and tablets past that point (computer and laptop will always be a Mac). Well for my phone not tablet I've finally switched over to Google's JellyBean operating system, and here is why.


    Video that really brings home the point I'm making and what prompted me to type this post.



    1. The app stores are virtually the same now. Every essential app you can get in Apples store you can get in the PlayStore (almost everything at least the apps that matter for me docs to go Facebook twitter, reliable productivity apps). Also why does Apple need so many stores in different applications. Everything in one place not taking up unnecessary memory for the end user.

    2. The speed coupled with the smoothness of the platform. Now Android suffers from fragmentation bad, which is why I chose a nexus device to avoid griping about getting my fair share of updates. That being said JellyBean and project butter have finally stepped into the arena with Apple as far as how smooth and intuitive the platform operates. No longer does it have the glitch feeling moving from screen to screen and operating within applications. Apps crashing constantly or at least consistently has all but disappeared.

    3. Search. This is a no brain-er. Search within your phone on the internet finding location information, Google just does it better then Apple. For example search for twitter in the Apple app store. Let's say you get back 78 results you have each of the 75 apps displayed on one card and you have to swipe card to card looking at each individual app to see if that's what you want. WASTE OF TIME. JellyBean displays a list of results making this process FAR easier and faster. That will probably never change Google specializes in search so they should do this better.

    4. Notifications. Apple needs more work on there notification center. The end all be all method they use not with the X button limits the user. Why can't you just swipe away one notification when done, and leave the others you can't get to. Example 5 emails you check one get rid of it go back to what you were doing and come back and check the rest later. Apple forces you to delete everything or keep it all. Live widgets in the notification system need to be less limited as well only stocks and weather? Come on. Let developers access the notification center and give them a chance to add live notifications as well.


    5. Voice. I won't even go over this Google Now blows Siri out if the water. Could be because Google has been at voice search longer then Apple. The way they display information bring up information, the speed in which the information is rendered. I could go on for days about this.

    So iOS 6 for me has fallen behind Googles JellyBean and which is why I chose to part from Apple in the smartphone arena. I want the best operating system at being productive. It use to be iOS not so much anymore.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    return_0 and Metallinatus like this.
  2. #2  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,282 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    good. for. you.
    phonejunky likes this.
  3. #3  
    SlcCorrado's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,405 Global Posts

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Cool video comparison. I definitely see your point of switching but doesnt it make sense to stay within the same app ecosystem? Since you're sticking with mac
    phonejunky likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Yea I have been running into a few issues having everything apple except my phone. It does get annoying sometimes too because I won't change my tablet and computer's apple just has the best devices in those categories.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #5  
    SlcCorrado's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,405 Global Posts

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryBrandon View Post
    Yea I have been running into a few issues having everything apple except my phone. It does get annoying sometimes too because I won't change my tablet and computer's apple just has the best devices in those categories.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Well if you mainly use your phone for browsing, media and messaging, it probably won't be a big deal. Plus, google play has tons of free apps, if you feel the need
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Well media is in my free time. From 9am to 5pm I'm a personal assistant. So my phone is used for scheduling, finance management notes, navigation I mean you name it I use my phone for it. Its my personal computer during work hours. Facebook and twitter are for actual business and I don't use my personal accounts to tweet work related things.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  7. #7  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    There is no ecosystem between iOS devices and Macs. They use separate operating systems and have their own sets of apps.
  8. #8  
    hydrogen3's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    999 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    I think you have it backwards...Android is behind IOS..Any version of IOS!!
    "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them".
    jclisenby likes this.
  9. #9  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    There is no ecosystem between iOS devices and Macs. They use separate operating systems and have their own sets of apps.
    The ecosystem means that everything works together. iTunes syncs across everything, as do things like contacts, calendars, notes, reminders, and emails. iCloud brings it all together. Having an iPhone, iPod, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV brings all your content together seamlessly. That's the ecosystem.


    Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    Thanked by:
    phonejunky (03-19-2013)
    MERCDROID likes this.
  10. #10  
    shanghaichica's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    There are quite a few apps and games that I use which are only available on iOS. Plus for all androids fancy features, the OS is not as smooth or stable as iOS. To me the overall user experience is the most important thing. I also find Siri to be more useful to me than google now.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
    There are quite a few apps and games that I use which are only available on iOS. Plus for all androids fancy features, the OS is not as smooth or stable as iOS. To me the overall user experience is the most important thing. I also find Siri to be more useful to me than google now.
    That was the whole point in my post. JellyBean is not like previous Goggle operating systems because of project butter. Look up any comparison video of Google now vs Siri as well and you can easily see which voice search system has the most capabilities. Google Now is the clear winner it isn't really debatable. Google now does everything Siri does plus more. The nexus 4 is not like Samsung or HTC or other smartphone companies that mask the pure android experience with bells and whistles and gimmicks. Synergy is what you find in the Nexus line. It is what Android was intended to be not just packed with features just because which is what a lot of android devices suffer from.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    beri likes this.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    JellyBean vs iOS just look it up. Do a self comparison of the Nexus 4 vs iPhone 5 I can because I have both.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    I have a basic question can you even use Siri without a connection to the internet? I'll wait.....

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  14. #14  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    21,863 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,097 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryBrandon View Post
    I have a basic question can you even use Siri without a connection to the internet? I'll wait.....

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    No, it cannot, but I can say that although I use Siri, I don't use it enough to where it would be a hindrance if for some reason I didn't have access to the internet, but I have Verizon Wireless as a carrier and I don't recall a time where I didn't have internet access with my iPhone so for me, it's a moot issue.
  15. #15  
    shanghaichica's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryBrandon View Post
    That was the whole point in my post. JellyBean is not like previous Goggle operating systems because of project butter. Look up any comparison video of Google now vs Siri as well and you can easily see which voice search system has the most capabilities. Google Now is the clear winner it isn't really debatable. Google now does everything Siri does plus more. The nexus 4 is not like Samsung or HTC or other smartphone companies that mask the pure android experience with bells and whistles and gimmicks. Synergy is what you find in the Nexus line. It is what Android was intended to be not just packed with features just because which is what a lot of android devices suffer from.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I've used jelly bean on both the nexus 7 and galaxy tab 2. Regardless of what google claim about project butter, the experience is not as smooth as iOS for me. The devices were still unstable on jelly bean. Siri is better because I can get it to do more practical things like setting alarms. Google now is better at obtaining information and facts and I find that Siri is more practical.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    You can set alarms with Google Now everything Siri does Google Now does. I'm a little lost you seem to have missed that. Now if it works for you. Got you but the argument Siri is more practical is silly because Google now does everything Siri does lol, and works offline.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  
    shanghaichica's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryBrandon View Post
    You can set alarms with Google Now everything Siri does Google Now does. I'm a little lost you seem to have missed that. Now if it works for you. Got you but the argument Siri is more practical is silly because Google now does everything Siri does lol, and works offline.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I asked google now to set an alarm and it said it couldn't!
    akrahn likes this.
  18. #18  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryBrandon View Post
    You can set alarms with Google Now everything Siri does Google Now does. I'm a little lost you seem to have missed that. Now if it works for you. Got you but the argument Siri is more practical is silly because Google now does everything Siri does lol, and works offline.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Wrong actually. One of my biggest things missing from Google Now that Siri does very well is that ability to read SMS messages and reply to them without even touching the phone. (Yes, you do need headphones for this.) Biggest annoyance for me with Google Now. I use that all of the time on my iPhone 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
    I asked google now to set an alarm and it said it couldn't!
    It can set alarms. Do it all of the time on my Nexus 4.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 03-20-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    phonejunky likes this.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Thank you for point that out Jeremy that totally slipped my mind I actually do that as well. It is a very useful feature. Wonder what made them open my thread back up they closed it yesterday. I thought we were having great discussions. Anyway happy it's back open thanks mods.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    There is no ecosystem between iOS devices and Macs. They use separate operating systems and have their own sets of apps.
    Actually because if applications there is an ecosystem between android and any computer now that I think of it. My work around for iCloud so far has been evernote for my quick note taking in meetings. Documents has been docs to go, scheduling Google calendars..... And so on. So there is an ecosystem you just have to be able to know what apps to get which can be s pain for someone who isn't a tech geek and not aware.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Can you elaborate?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  22. #22  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryBrandon View Post
    Thank you for point that out Jeremy that totally slipped my mind I actually do that as well. It is a very useful feature. Wonder what made them open my thread back up they closed it yesterday. I thought we were having great discussions. Anyway happy it's back open thanks mods.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I opened it back up as I still thought some good discussion could come from it. It was not out of hand.
    Thanked by:
    phonejunky (03-20-2013)
    phonejunky likes this.
  23. #23  
    cckgz4's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    You can set an alarm with Siri. I do it every day
  24. #24  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,875 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    It's all subjective...everything you pointed out is an opinion, your opinion is that those functions are a better experience on JellyBean, and because of a preference, you feel its a few steps ahead of iOS. I feel the opposite, i feel iOS is a substantially smoother and cleaner OS, more reliable and more polished...and the thing is, I've talked with many android device loyalists that agree...that they wish they had the balance of the features they love from their android device with the clean experience from iOS.

    Either way, it's almost comical to say either one of them is a lesser or greater operating system, since they both have their strengths and weaknesses...comparing features is subjective, comparing performance is a more legitimate starting point, and to be honest, both of them are so close that's it really just boils down to the opinionated preferences in the end. The point you were making is that you feel JellyBean is a better all around OS version than iOS...i disagree and feel the opposite.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    GibMcFragger and kch50428 like this.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  
    phonejunky's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,190 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 Beta 3

    Default re: iOS 6 vs Jelly Bean

    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    You can set an alarm with Siri. I do it every day
    Yes no one said you couldn't bud.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ninja Run Online IOS vs Android Free
    By AGaming in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 03:16 PM
  2. Android VS iPhone iOS 4, which is better
    By vicky222114 in forum Other Operating Systems & Devices
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 09:42 PM
  3. Jelly Bean Quest - [new game]
    By stuffedtoys in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 04:34 PM
  4. Question about Multiflow vs iOS backgrounding?
    By talkin73 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
  5. iOS GM 04 vs IOS 4
    By farbod21 in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions