Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Paradocks
  • 1 Post By rayz336
  • 2 Post By mulasien
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    dreamerdonkey's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    28 Posts

    Default Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Suddenly, I decided to buy an android device. But the problem is there are so many of them and I really don't have any clue which one is good. Some of my friends suggest me kindle fire and some are suggesting Nexus. So I am into a dilemma. Which one should I get. I really don't know what is the difference between them and android is completely new device for me. So can any one help me out. All kind of suggestion and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    Paradocks's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerdonkey View Post
    Suddenly, I decided to buy an android device. But the problem is there are so many of them and I really don't have any clue which one is good. Some of my friends suggest me kindle fire and some are suggesting Nexus. So I am into a dilemma. Which one should I get. I really don't know what is the difference between them and android is completely new device for me. So can any one help me out. All kind of suggestion and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Your question might be better answered on AndroidCentral.com.

    Sent from somewhere
    Hail Caesar likes this.
  3. #3  
    rherlambang's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Latest

    Default Nexus or Kindle Fire

    I recommend iPad 4
  4. #4  
    rayz336's Avatar

    Posts
    2,355 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.3

    Default Nexus or Kindle Fire

    I'd get a Nexus tablet, the Kindle Fire is nice if you're locked into the Amazon services. However, for most people I would recommend the Nexus 7 or 10.
    JustMe'D likes this.
  5. #5  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    19,298 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,527 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by rayz336 View Post
    I'd get a Nexus tablet, the Kindle Fire is nice if you're locked into the Amazon services. However, for most people I would recommend the Nexus 7 or 10.
    I agree with Ray. Based on the two devices you mentioned, I think the Nexus tablet would be your best bet because, as Ray have already stated, with the Kindle Fire, you will be locked to Amazon services.
  6. #6  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,765 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,814 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Ya my first suggestion would be a iPad but of those two I say not the kindle the freaking think don't come with a charger only a cable the charger is 20 more and if you don't want ads on your lock screen it's another 15 bucks .. For another 100 you might as well get a iPad mini or iPad 2


    Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
  7. #7  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,055 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    As mentioned above, with the Kindle you're limited to the Amazon market and you can't purchase apps from Google Play - where the majority of Android apps are sold.

    For Android tablets, the N7 is a nice device at a really good price.
  8. #8  
    ceburyda's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    I have the iPad original and the iPad 3. I bought the Nexus 7 32GB during the holidays and haven't picked up the iPads since then. The form factor is great and JB is fun to mess with. That being said I'm convinced I will buy the iPad mini, I'm still deciding to be an early adopter or wait for the next release. Getting back to your question, Nexus 7 would be my choice.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  
    ceburyda's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Also, if you have any specific questions about the Kindle I may be able to help, my wife owns the Kindle Fire and loves it. She not a techy so the Fire works out well.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    dreamerdonkey's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    28 Posts

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Ya my first suggestion would be a iPad but of those two I say not the kindle the freaking think don't come with a charger only a cable the charger is 20 more and if you don't want ads on your lock screen it's another 15 bucks .. For another 100 you might as well get a iPad mini or iPad 2


    Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    I already have an iPad. But now I want a second device and I here a lot about android, so I want to give it a try.
  11. #11  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerdonkey View Post
    I already have an iPad. But now I want a second device and I here a lot about android, so I want to give it a try.
    If you want the latest and greatest software, go Nexus. If you want a more consumer friendly device go with the Kindle Fire.
  12. #12  
    quicksilver53's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    484 Global Posts

    Default Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by ceburyda View Post
    I have the iPad original and the iPad 3. I bought the Nexus 7 32GB during the holidays and haven't picked up the iPads since then. The form factor is great and JB is fun to mess with. That being said I'm convinced I will buy the iPad mini, I'm still deciding to be an early adopter or wait for the next release. Getting back to your question, Nexus 7 would be my choice.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    The Nexus 7 was my choice also. I looked at the iPad mini but the Nexus won me over.
    Never liked Apple, love it now.

    Current set up:
    3gs 32 gb white, iOS 4.3.1 JBed with redsn0w.
    2g 16gb ipod touch, iOS 4.2.1
  13. #13  
    Hail Caesar's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    151 Posts

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Get an iPad.
    Apple built it, so it will work.
  14. #14  
    eastbayrae's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    The fire is exceptionally slow and the browser is total garbage. I only kept it until I could get off the fence and get an iPad.
    I could paint a masterpiece with all the colors of your ignorance.
  15. #15  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    Get the Nexus. It's a solid device that works well, especially for an Android device. The Kindle Fire is terrible and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.


    Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
  16. #16  
    shanghaichica's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    I think outside of the US the kindle fire is pretty limited. If you are outside the US I'd recommend the nexus 7, it does everything the fire can do and more and it's the same price.
  17. #17  
    eastbayrae's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    If you use Amazon's content like Instant Videos then the kindles would be better for you.
    I could paint a masterpiece with all the colors of your ignorance.
  18. #18  
    mulasien's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus or Kindle Fire

    As mentioned multiple times already, unless you're already heavily invested in Amazon's services, Nexus 7 is the clear winner.

    Better software, full access to all of the Android suite of apps (not just Amazon's), that and any improvements to Android (likely an update at next month's I/O conference, will be available on the Nexus.

    Heck, with Android devices in general, it's Nexus or nothing.
    return_0 and Chetan Takyar like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Kindle fire
    By 3cit in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 11:30 PM
  2. iPad Mini vs Kindle Fire HD
    By rdiddy_25 in forum Original iPad mini
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 09:35 PM
  3. Mobile gaming opinion survey - win a Kindle Fire
    By ruylopez in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
  4. Mobile gaming opinion survey - win a Kindle Fire
    By ruylopez in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 01:44 AM
  5. Text to Speech in iBooks or Amazon Kindle?
    By wiggy1 in forum Original iPad
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2010, 10:11 AM

Posting Permissions