Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Default iPhone 5 or wait for blackberry 10

Hi all,
    Soon, I'm going to get a new phone. Before my current 3GS, I had a blackberry, which I still miss for its email (but not much else :3 ). However, their new BB10 os will sorta solve their app problem. I will only switch to blackberry if I cannot solve the email and other issues on iOS.

My specific issues are that email messages do not preload (fully load upon receipt), messages do not always push, and I do not see sent messages in my email feed (from my iPhone as well as my computer).

Lastly, what's the average battery life of the iPhone 5 versus the 3GS?

If any of you know some or all of these answers, can you let me know how to fix the problems so I can feel confident getting an iPhone 5 without worrying about problems? Thanks.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iPhone 5 vs blackberry 10

Seriously, do we have to go through this?
    Thanked by:
    hydrogen3 (01-29-2013)
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    32,786 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1.1

Default Re: iPhone 5 vs blackberry 10

The jury is still out on BB10, BUT what we have seen looks very exciting. You already know that RIM does push email well, what we are not so sure about is the app support. It DOES appear that RIM is doing everything in their power to make sure it's there, BUT we shall see.

As for the Iphone5 I can't speak about that as much, BUT I have heard good things. You KNOW Apple has the apps, and they certainly have improved much since the 3GS in other ways too, although I can't speak on that since I'm a BB user myself. Most people I know who have Iphone4s, or 5s are happy with them.
    kevinnugent, rjkolo and jesse_h like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

People looking for the kind of email experience you get with a blackberry device on the iPhone will never be 100% satisfied with the iPhone's offering, simply because the iPhone doesn't focus on this aspect AT ALL...the iPhone is far more focused on instant messaging through iMessage over giving you 1,000 options for emails. In the most people's lifestyle, email is becoming a back up to text messaging and instant messaging, and in my opinion, email has become a sort of dinosaur as far as smart phone "features" go. You're never going to have the same email options on the iPhone as the BB because the BB is almost 100% focused on email support (or was i should say, since we don't know what the new BB10 will bring).

Battery life on the iPhone 5 is substantially better than the 3GS in that the phone does SO much more than the 3GS can do (if we were comparing a brand new 3GS to a brand new iPhone 5)...given that most 3GS's will be heavily used though, the iPhone 5's battery life will be a world different than most 3GS iPhone's.

I wont speak on BB10 because nobody really has any legitimate information on the OS yet...i will say this though, as i have said in other threads...i don't have much faith in an OS that was nearly replaced mid way through development by Android.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Global Posts
    11,439 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Seriously, do we have to go through this?
    I wish we didn't...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    SeanHRCC and mommybetts like this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    32,786 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1.1

He's new, you just answer. Ain't a big deal. (Probably could have been titled better, BUT he's new )
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

There's no guarantee that BB10 WILL fix any app problem you may find with BlackBerry. While RIM has made great strides in this area many big names are still taking a "wait and see" approach to a brand new OS so I certainly wouldn't assume that you will find yourself satisfied in this area on launch day.
    There is also no absolute concrete evidence as to how RIM plans to manage consumer email (BIS) on the new devices so I certainly wouldn't assume that you will find yourself satisfied in this area on launch day either.
    BB10 is a healthy mix of mystery, leaks and rumours at this point. iPhone 5 is not. You know exactly what you are getting with both the device and the OS. I suppose it comes down to how much of a chance you are willing to take and how much $ you are potentially willing to spend/waste in the process. I don't expect the new BB10 devices to be any cheaper than i5 so price is a wash. Are you willing to be an early adopter for a company with a poor track record for launching cutting edge products?
    Unless you are a diehard BlackBerry fan desperately waiting for anything new RIM can possibly put on the market you will be further ahead to go and grab an iPhone 5, let BB10 hit the market and make your decision when something/anything about the new OS is finally set in stone. Resale value of iPhone 5 will still be great in a few months so you could always sell it and pick up the new BB10 device should you decide it suits your needs.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Re: iPhone 5 or wait for blackberry 10

Most people I know who have Iphone4s, or 5s are happy with them
    iMore Newbie

Gmail and yahoo have really nice mail apps for iPhone 5 that I would suggest using instead of the stock mail app. You will see your sent folder if you use those.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    People looking for the kind of email experience you get with a blackberry device on the iPhone will never be 100% satisfied with the iPhone's offering, simply because the iPhone doesn't focus on this aspect AT ALL...the iPhone is far more focused on instant messaging through iMessage over giving you 1,000 options for emails. In the most people's lifestyle, email is becoming a back up to text messaging and instant messaging, and in my opinion, email has become a sort of dinosaur as far as smart phone "features" go. You're never going to have the same email options on the iPhone as the BB because the BB is almost 100% focused on email support (or was i should say, since we don't know what the new BB10 will bring).

Battery life on the iPhone 5 is substantially better than the 3GS in that the phone does SO much more than the 3GS can do (if we were comparing a brand new 3GS to a brand new iPhone 5)...given that most 3GS's will be heavily used though, the iPhone 5's battery life will be a world different than most 3GS iPhone's.

I wont speak on BB10 because nobody really has any legitimate information on the OS yet...i will say this though, as i have said in other threads...i don't have much faith in an OS that was nearly replaced mid way through development by Android.
    Ah but don't forget about BBM... With all the iMessage outages, it hasn't been exactly flawless. If anything Blackberry does instant messaging with BBM at least as well as it does email.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    1,109 Global Posts

If your having doubts, just wait, it's only 26 days away, and decide then.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Ah but don't forget about BBM... With all the iMessage outages, it hasn't been exactly flawless. If anything Blackberry does instant messaging with BBM at least as well as it does email.
    BBM? lol...you're kidding right? That feature is the quintessential brontosaurus of smart phone features, and let's face it...a decade later, i would hope it would function like it does, given it's about as simple as the first generation of AOL IM, but less accessible given how you have to access BBM. iMessage is a newborn compared to this feature, but iMessage's functionality, compared to BBM, is in another league...not to mention it can be used across all of Apple's product line.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,779 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Once again @SeanHRCC has hit the nail on the head.

I like BlackBerry\RIM, and I wish them well. But they seriously have to come 'strong' with the release of BB10, i.e. hold nothing back and be up to Par or even better still, surpass current smartphones on the market. Failing to do so will not suffice in this brash market.
    kevinnugent likes this.

Global Posts
    19,463 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Dwood1970 View Post
    Gmail and yahoo have really nice mail apps for iPhone 5 that I would suggest using instead of the stock mail app. You will see your sent folder if you use those.
    You do realize that you can also see your "sent" folders with the default mail app in regard to Gmail and Yahoo, right?
    iPhone 5 or wait for blackberry 10-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357307902.476508.jpgiPhone 5 or wait for blackberry 10-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357307911.112816.jpg
    Fausty82 and SeanHRCC like this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts

from over 200 BBM people went down to 5 as 95% got iphones and 5% got Android SG3. I love the iphone 5 after a month
    aubreyq likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

I used to love my BB. But looking at all the features and apps the IPhone was having, the choice was easy to make. Like a couples of us said, we wish that RIM will get up from those dark days and become one of the leaders once again. We will all eventually benefits from that good competition between the smartphone makers.

I never experienced any problems with my BlackBerry in the past, used to have the pearl flip 8220, 9700 and 9900. But they never offered something that the Iphone couldn't offer me. As for the e-mails, iPhone get the job done !

If I could add one last comment, If the next IPhone could be as big as the Samsung Galaxy S3, to me it would be the best size to the best platform on the market ! At that moment I would change my 5 for it without even thinking !
    iPhone 5 16 Gb Black
    iPad 3 16 Gb Black
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    iMessage has quit working or had hiccups, but my phone still worked. So what if I had to send a text message rather than an iMessage? At least my phone still worked. When the BB outage happened, I had a wonderful paperweight on my desk for 3 days.

With iMessage, the phone reverts to text if the person you're texting has it turned off or ditches their iPhone not to mention the aforementioned fact about it being used across all Apple products.

With BBM you're just SOL unless someone else has a BB.

As for the OP - no one here can tell you what phone to get. If you don't like it, take it back. Problem solved.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Get an iphone 5 right now and resell for a bb10 when it comes out. You'll either break even or make some money.

I decided to do this when I found out the keyboard bb 10 isn't coming out until AT LEAST April.
    aubreyq likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I find the yahoo and gmail apps to be easier to use than the stock mail app because you can access all the folders much faster. On the stock mail app you have to keep on going back. Yahoo and Gmail make it easier to attach photos too including in an existing email. They also get fast delivery like the stock app.
    Last edited by david9962000; 01-04-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts

I'm a galaxy note 2 user...
    And the fact that you think bb 10 will be better is ridicule.
    Do yourself a favor and grab the iphone 5. BBM seriously? Is this 2005? imessage outage? Really? It's a text message.. BlackBerry will never have the development support for apps because it's OS is primitive. It's dead. I work closely with a lot of RIM employees and they even know they're dead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jmorales5922 View Post
    I'm a galaxy note 2 user...
    And the fact that you think bb 10 will be better is ridicule.
    Do yourself a favor and grab the iphone 5. BBM seriously? Is this 2005? imessage outage? Really? It's a text message.. BlackBerry will never have the development support for apps because it's OS is primitive. It's dead. I work closely with a lot of RIM employees and they even know they're dead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    BB10 will have full multitasking, the same technology that has been used on pcs for nearly 20 years. On the iPhone 5 you have to close or suspend one app before you can use another. Which is the more "primitive" os there?
    The full touch BB10 phone will be exactly that, with onscreen gestures that make the home button redundant and unnecessary. Which has the "primitive" os there?
    The BB10 phones will have active tiles for up to 8 of the currently running apps. Yes, we are also back to multitasking here, because the iPhone can only run one app at a time plus the icons remain static and inactive. Which is the "primitive" os there?
    BB10 will allow business users and companies to completely separate personal and business functions of the phone.
    Last week, Rene the EiC of iMore admitted that in 2013, iOS will become the oldest mobile os on the market. Apple have been able to build up the number of apps but it has taken 6 years and iOS was launched in 2007 with virtually no apps. The operating system has remained little changed and I am convinced that some of the solid features of BB10 will appear on future iPhones.
    Last edited by YorkieRay; 01-06-2013 at 03:34 AM.
    jesse_h likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by YorkieRay View Post
    BB10 will have full multitasking, the same technology that has been used on pcs for nearly 20 years. On the iPhone 5 you have to close or suspend one app before you can use another. Which is the more "primitive" os there?
    The full touch BB10 phone will be exactly that, with onscreen gestures that make the home button redundant and unnecessary. Which has the "primitive" os there?
    The BB10 phones will have active tiles for up to 8 of the currently running apps. Yes, we are also back to multitasking here, because the iPhone can only run one app at a time plus the icons remain static and inactive. Which is the "primitive" os there?
    BB10 will allow business users and companies to completely separate personal and business functions of the phone.
    Last week, Rene the EiC of iMore admitted that in 2013, iOS will become the oldest mobile os on the market. Apple have been able to build up the number of apps but it has taken 6 years and iOS was launched in 2007 with virtually no apps. The operating system has remained little changed and I am convinced that some of the solid features of BB10 will appear on future iPhones.
    Instead of trying to push your opinion of iOS as being primitive, you should probably focus on the fact that this is Blackberry's quintessential "hail mary" toss, and hope that your hypothetical ideas about what BB10 will be like are actually true (and more importantly, accepted)...otherwise, you're going to have your nifty BB devices with a little green robot on them in a few years (if the phones exist at all).
    Les74, Premium1, swarlos and 1 others like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Instead of trying to push your opinion of iOS as being primitive, you should probably focus on the fact that this is Blackberry's quintessential "hail mary" toss, and hope that your hypothetical ideas about what BB10 will be like are actually true (and more importantly, accepted)...otherwise, you're going to have your nifty BB devices with a little green robot on them in a few years (if the phones exist at all).
    Couldn't have said it better myself.....
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

I tried the gmail app and it works like a charm. Already ordered my new iPhone 5!
    pkcable likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

Well I too used to have blackberry. I think the email on bb10 is going to be handled differently so it may not be as good as it once was. If I were going to consider bb10 I would wait for at least a year. I have the 5 now and the battery life is great. I have no problem going 2 days with moderate use
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast