Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts

Default The Lumia 920 is pretty legit

Played with one today at an AT&T store, and it was a really nice phone. The weight issues the tech writers are mentioning are way over hyped.

An iPhone 4S with battery pack case is heavier. Awesome display, and really makes the iPhone 5 and iOS look pretty dated.

Hope it does well, maybe apple will follow suit and give people more than two color choices.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Default Re: The Lumia 920 is pretty legit

It's nice, but it's not iPhone when it first came to market nice. There's too much competition for it to be an AT&T exclusive. I would get the 920... except I hate AT&T.

Global Posts
    4,233 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well, I like Windows Phone for its live tile system and seeing notifications that way, but having that plus a polished interface isn't enough to differentiate the platform from the competition.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Wrote pretty much every single word while listening to iRon Maiden
    iPhone Intermediate

Personally I think it's very big and brick like

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    8,737 Global Posts

Trust me, the 920 is amazing. Us, it comes in black and white. And yellow, red, and cyan. Better camera, better display, better tech inside, and more. I'm not saying it will do better than the iPhone, but it will do well, and I wish nokia good luck.
    baseballbert likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Switched from an Iphone to a Lumia 920 a month ago. Haven't looked back since. I needed a change from iOS as I was finding it pretty boring and despite having less apps, I'm liking WP8 a thousand times more than iOS. If anyone is planning on getting a new phone, I suggest trying out the Lumia 920.
    baseballbert likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

Do you have to switch how you load music on the phone? What about Instagram and apps like that?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

It syncs well with Windows Media Player but I switched to a yearly xbox music subscription ($99) for unlimited music downloads so I've just been downloading music directly from the xbox music store on my phone. I've heard that Itunes is also able to sync music to the 920 but I haven't tried it myself. As for Instagram, it hasn't yet been ported to WP8 but there are some replacements to use until it is. You can also check out and it will tell you if an app is available or if there is one similar in function. All of the big apps are on WP8 (except for Instagram) and I'm expecting more to come as the userbase grows. If you're looking for a new phone, give it a try. You always have the two-week trial period to change to a different phone if you don't like it.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

I love the live tile feature. Also look of the phone is really good.
    baseballbert likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StevenF19 View Post
    Switched from an Iphone to a Lumia 920 a month ago. Haven't looked back since. I needed a change from iOS as I was finding it pretty boring and despite having less apps, I'm liking WP8 a thousand times more than iOS. If anyone is planning on getting a new phone, I suggest trying out the Lumia 920.
    Nice, if you already have a few iOS devices, nothing wrong w getting something different. Enjoy!!

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD
    baseballbert likes this.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StevenF19 View Post
    Well said sir! What color? I ended up picking up matte black.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I also got the matte black! It's such a sexy looking phone haha.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts

I had a cyan 900, but there was something about it that kept me from getting into it 100%. I saw it more of a toy and not a phone and I didn't like that only Nokia Blue looked good on the tiles.

With black you can use whatever tile colors you want, it looks damn sexy/sleek and it looks more like a legit phone.

Although, yellow is pretty damn cool when you see it person.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    8,737 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parker5011 View Post
    Do you have to switch how you load music on the phone? What about Instagram and apps like that?
    You have the windows phone connector for Mac that syncs with iTunes.
    iPhone Intermediate

It seems pretty meh to me.
    Apple built it, so it will work.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    8,737 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Caesar View Post
    Well you are an iPhone user...

For us windows phone fans, we think the iPhone is worse than meh.
    Thanked by:
    RushilPa (02-05-2013)
    RushilPa likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Caesar View Post
    Why?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,788 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I loved the phone before it was released...i followed it all the way up to the day it hit the store shelves, and came a hair away from selling my iPhone 5 for one, but after a few hours with my friends 920, i simply couldn't make the switch...reasons?

- The weight compared to the iPhone 5 is substantial...like REALLY substantial. I was actually a little shocked at how much it weighed in my hand, it felt like it had weight ballasts or something in it.
    - Windows OS on it was just clumsy to me, the tile system got old after only a few minutes, and the "simple" gestures and more on screen info these tiles were supposed to give were, in my opinion, more of a nuisance than anything else, and a bit cluttered.
    - Navigating menus was awful to me, there were too many of them some places, features and options buried under unnecessary procedure.
    - Sound quality from both calls and music was lack luster, but only slightly...i only really remembered this because he pointed out to me before hand and i then compared it to my iPhone 5...had he not said anything, i probably would not have noticed heavily.

...that said, the camera is a masterpiece, it is the best camera on a phone...period. The iPhone 5's is great, this phone's is brilliant. The map system he had on it was pretty cool, had some features i wish Apple maps would get (and that i know google maps uses), the phones fit and finish was also great, though i don't think the screen was any more or less better than the iPhone 5's...he had the avengers on it and it was very nice looking, but nothing ground breaking.

It's an awesome phone, I'd have it over anything besides the iPhone 5...but it came in a pretty easy 2nd place for me.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    8,737 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I loved the phone before it was released...i followed it all the way up to the day it hit the store shelves, and came a hair away from selling my iPhone 5 for one, but after a few hours with my friends 920, i simply couldn't make the switch...reasons?

- The weight compared to the iPhone 5 is substantial...like REALLY substantial. I was actually a little shocked at how much it weighed in my hand, it felt like it had weight ballasts or something in it.
    - Windows OS on it was just clumsy to me, the tile system got old after only a few minutes, and the "simple" gestures and more on screen info these tiles were supposed to give were, in my opinion, more of a nuisance than anything else, and a bit cluttered.
    - Navigating menus was awful to me, there were too many of them some places, features and options buried under unnecessary procedure.
    - Sound quality from both calls and music was lack luster, but only slightly...i only really remembered this because he pointed out to me before hand and i then compared it to my iPhone 5...had he not said anything, i probably would not have noticed heavily.

...that said, the camera is a masterpiece, it is the best camera on a phone...period. The iPhone 5's is great, this phone's is brilliant. The map system he had on it was pretty cool, had some features i wish Apple maps would get (and that i know google maps uses), the phones fit and finish was also great, though i don't think the screen was any more or less better than the iPhone 5's...he had the avengers on it and it was very nice looking, but nothing ground breaking.

It's an awesome phone, I'd have it over anything besides the iPhone 5...but it came in a pretty easy 2nd place for me.
    1. It's heavy? I mean it isn't the lightest phone, but it isn't 5 pounds. Are you super weak (no offense)?
    2. You got to give me more detail for me to respond.
    3. Same as two.
    4. That I agree.
    5. Yep, the camera is amazing. But Apple Maps are good? You high? Nokia has free offline maps.

Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    5. Yep, the camera is amazing. But Apple Maps are good? You high? Nokia has free offline maps.
    Yes, Apple Maps is good. Nowhere near as awful as the bloggers make it out to be... I would rate Apple's Maps every bit as good as my Garmin Nuvi765t in my end-user experience.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    8,737 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Yes, Apple Maps is good. Nowhere near as awful as the bloggers make it out to be... I would rate Apple's Maps every bit as good as my Garmin Nuvi765t in my end-user experience.
    I mean now it is mediocre (before it was awful), but can't compare with nokia or google maps. They have been in the online/mobile map business longer than apple. Nokia Maps has free offline maps, google has street view, and apple has so-so quality flyover (it is cool though.

Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I mean now it is mediocre (before it was awful), but can't compare with nokia or google maps.
    That's your opinion... Mine is different. Google maps on iOS has always been mediocre at best. Still is. And I tried Nokia's iOS app. It's worse than Google.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,788 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

1. It's heavy? I mean it isn't the lightest phone, but it isn't 5 pounds. Are you super weak (no offense)?
    2. You got to give me more detail for me to respond.
    3. Same as two.
    4. That I agree.
    The phone feels like a boat anchor in my hand...and no, I'm not super weak (during PT i regularly bench press 275-300lbs for bulking up)...it is what it is.

More details? Like what, how the tile system didn't feel fluid to me traversing from the main page to the actual app it connects to? Or how the messages tiles seemed lagged? It felt clumsy, it felt unpolished (which is understandable, it's brand new).

Again, I'm not sure what details you want, when i tried to scroll through the settings menus, and tile setup menus, it felt like i was having to repetitively step through stuff that is unneeded, simple stuff like wifi settings, tethering settings, etc...and then the tile setups was the same as my experience with Windows 8, maybe there's a way to do it without the run around, but i didn't see it in the time i was playing with it (the same as with windows 8 on my macbook pro).

I never said Apple maps was anything...but now that you mention it, yes, it's a good system, I've never personally had a problem with it...i simply said the Nokia maps was pretty cool, but i didn't really get to use it for anything since i was just sitting there playing with the phone...didn't take a drive with it or anything.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    8,737 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    The phone feels like a boat anchor in my hand...and no, I'm not super weak (during PT i regularly bench press 275-300lbs for bulking up)...it is what it is.

More details? Like what, how the tile system didn't feel fluid to me traversing from the main page to the actual app it connects to? Or how the messages tiles seemed lagged? It felt clumsy, it felt unpolished (which is understandable, it's brand new).

Again, I'm not sure what details you want, when i tried to scroll through the settings menus, and tile setup menus, it felt like i was having to repetitively step through stuff that is unneeded, simple stuff like wifi settings, tethering settings, etc...and then the tile setups was the same as my experience with Windows 8, maybe there's a way to do it without the run around, but i didn't see it in the time i was playing with it (the same as with windows 8 on my macbook pro).

I never said Apple maps was anything...but now that you mention it, yes, it's a good system, I've never personally had a problem with it...i simply said the Nokia maps was pretty cool, but i didn't really get to use it for anything since i was just sitting there playing with the phone...didn't take a drive with it or anything.
    If you had it for three days or LESS, of course you will feel like that. My mother and even my grandmother figured it out (my mom switched from an iPhone). My mom at first wasn't sure, but now she loves it, especially the big screen. And no, the iPhone 5's screen isn't big. And they just made it taller, not wider...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,788 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

lol...there was nothing confusing about it there bud, it just wasn't my thing, it was easily lesser a phone to me than my iPhone 5. Thank god for opinions right?

As far as the iPhone 5 screen size...ok? Thanks for the lesson in obvious facts i guess?

The Lumia 920 is a fine phone, just not for me, it just doesn't perform or feel like a phone i would want to own.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast