Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Default Have Android considring iphone.....

Right know i have a motorola droid x I am eligible for an upgrade for both mine and my wifes phone. I am considering between the htc thunderbolt and the iphone (i am with verizon) before i decide i was wondering a few things.

1) Memory: i like the option of using a sd card so that my music is always there (i have close to 1000 songs on my card)...is the icloud a reasonable alternative?

2) Apps: i think i am safe to assume that any apps downloaded will less the availible memory, but are apple apps large in size compared to android apps.

3) anyone that has switched from andriod to iphone, how was the switch? was swapping contacts easy?

I apologize if some of these questions are basic but my understanding of the iphone is just that. i have messed around with my nieces iphone and do like the screen and ease of use, my main concern is not having the option of removable or upgrading the memory. any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks

Global Posts
    2,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Dcbcanes View Post
    Right know i have a motorola droid x I am eligible for an upgrade for both mine and my wifes phone. I am considering between the htc thunderbolt and the iphone (i am with verizon) before i decide i was wondering a few things.

1) Memory: i like the option of using a sd card so that my music is always there (i have close to 1000 songs on my card)...is the icloud a reasonable alternative?

2) Apps: i think i am safe to assume that any apps downloaded will less the availible memory, but are apple apps large in size compared to android apps.

3) anyone that has switched from andriod to iphone, how was the switch? was swapping contacts easy?

I apologize if some of these questions are basic but my understanding of the iphone is just that. i have messed around with my nieces iphone and do like the screen and ease of use, my main concern is not having the option of removable or upgrading the memory. any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks
    1. You can store music on the internal memory of the iPhone, you'll want to use iTunes on your computer for this.

2. Apps are the same size, as far as I know.

3. The switch is easy, especially if you use Google to manage your contacts, just add your gmail as an exchange email. Verizon also has an app to backup and transfer your contacts.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

with 1000 songs a 16gb should be fine with room for apps left over. I keep 2400 songs and around 30ish apps and I still have room on my 32gb.

They are the same size.

Either let the store do it or use the VZW transfer app.
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version

I just recently switched from Android to the iPhone 4S and I couldn't be anymore happier with my decision. Everything on iOS is very fluid and simply works as it should. I do not miss any of the "FC's" aka Force Closes on my old Android device (HTC myTouch 4G). Another reason I decided to switch was the length in time that Google/Phone Manufacturers/Carriers decide to release updates, not to mention the slew of new devices that come out at the drop of a dime which makes your recently purchased Android outdated a week later.

In regards to your decision:

1. Memory - I'm sure you know the iPhone comes in the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB versions. That seems to be more than plenty of space to store music, photos, apps, and anything else you would like to place on you iPhone through iTunes.

2. Apps - The iPhone has tons of apps in the App Store. Many of which are the exact same size as those in the Android Market. One thing that I knew before switching over (which I tend to research the heck out of anything before making a major purchase), is that while there are tons of free apps in the App Store as there are in the Android Market, some apps while free on Android, may cost in the App Store on the iPhone. For me this was not a deal breaker.

3. Contacts - Upon switching over, I had no trouble whatsoever in merging or "pulling down" my contacts. I made sure all of my contacts on my Android phone were backed up with Google and they were just there after I set Google up on my iPhone.

Hope this helps make your decision a little easier.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,540 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks
    1. Assuming you get the 4S the least amount of memory you will have is 16GB which is enough for thousands upon thousands of songs. Just where are you moving that SD card too?

2. The vast majority of apps are very small, a few MB or less. Really the only apps that are large are games and GPS apps because of the maps. Don't worry about how large Apple's stock apps are because you can't remove them to free up memory; which would only be a few MB anyway.

3. If you use Gmail and have your contacts there then all you do is setup Gmail via Exchange and all your contacts will populate the iPhone with pushy goodness.

Global Posts
    22,467 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The helpful people who have already responded are on point with their responses. I will just add that, I, too, am on Verizon and I'm more than pleased with my decision to make the leap from my EVO 4G & Droid Incredible for the iPhone 4S. Being that I was a previous iPhone user (iPhone 3G), the transition was a nonissue. Are there things I miss about Android & wish the iPhone had or could do? Yes, but those things do not take away from my everday smartphone experience. I 'think' you and your wife will be pleased with the iPhone. Finally, in regard to the 3G speed on Verizon's network, it is a nonissue, my friend. Coming from a 4G device was a big concern of mine but that was quickly put to rest. I don't miss it at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone Nanite

Another suggestion is using iTunes match. I did not like it at first, but after a week, I can't live without it. The price per year is reasonable (29.99 I think).

I too came from Android starting with the OG Droid I got on launch day up to the Droid X. When I got my iPhone 4 I never looked back.

I got about 100 apps, 3 months of photos, 2600 songs on match, and still have 6 GB free. I have a 32GB iPhone 4s on Verizon.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Went to iPhone from Bionic in October and could not be happier. Seriously. NO force closes, no lost connection (4G was horrible for me. Two bionics and lost connections constantly). OS is smooth and I love how it handles apps. Homescreen shuts app down. No need to manage them manually to save memory.

1) I have 32 GB. I have around 2400 songs and a few TV shows. Lots of apps, couple audio books, documents for the One Note app. I still have 5 GB to spare. I have 200 photos native on the iphone memory but do use shutterfly for 7 years worth of photos too.
    2) Same size
    3) If you have google account (which with android why wouldnt you?) transfer of contacts, calendars, etc. is seamless.

HANDS DOWN, 4S BEST PHONE I HAVE EVER OWNED, going back to motorola BAG PHONE!
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iTunes Match is $25 and makes the music you store on your phone very dynamic. Right now, I've got access to over 7,000 songs anywhere I go and have a data connection to download...and I'm always adding more.

I left the Evo 4G and am very happy I did.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Also very happy with the switch (EVO 4g to Nexus S 4G to iPhone 4S)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Do not get the thunderbolt. Had one and it had the worst battery of any android phone I have ever had. Get anything else but that.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I went from Pre to Evo to Evo 3d to Nexus S to iPhone 4s as well as Galaxy Tab 7" to iPad2. I will never go back. I love having a phone that works every time I use it -- never locks up, no connection issues, apps work, new apps all the time. I'm with Sprint, in an area without 4g and will never have 4g -- so I noticed no differences at all -- it's smooth, not laggy, and the battery is wonderful in comparison. And the iPad is heaven. Go for it!
    TNBRITT likes this.
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jackitoday View Post
    I went from Pre to Evo to Evo 3d to Nexus S to iPhone 4s as well as Galaxy Tab 7" to iPad2. I will never go back. I love having a phone that works every time I use it -- never locks up, no connection issues, apps work, new apps all the time. I'm with Sprint, in an area without 4g and will never have 4g -- so I noticed no differences at all -- it's smooth, not laggy, and the battery is wonderful in comparison. And the iPad is heaven. Go for it!
    I agree with everything that you stated. My area may or may not get 4G with Sprint. I do notice there is a small area where I get low signal while at work but it still allows me to send and receive texts, plus for whatever reason and I'm not complaining my data seems fast when at work even though I might be in a spot where there's little signal. Its weird but I aint complaining.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Do it you will be very satisfied. You will have plenty of room. When I switched from iPhone to android I thought it was great to have external storage after awhile it was no difference. Happy to say I'm back with an iPhone. Will never change again
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Make the Switch

I used to be the biggest Apple-hater around but I decided to break down and get the 4s and I'm glad I did. I had the D1, Incredible and then the Droid Charge (all rooted). The first 2 were great but I hated the Charge. The thing I missed most when I first switched was the "freedom" of Android. I jail broke the day it was available and now the only thing I miss is the 4G of my Droid Charge (I spend most of my time away from 4G coverage anyway though). Like others have said, back up your contacts to gmail and they'll be on your iPhone as soon as you sign in. Also, get used to using iTunes and you won't have any problems with your music.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Wow...thank you all for your input...im leaning heavily toward the iphone now and if you all dont mind another question...what besides age is the differance between the 4 and the 4s?

Thanks again everyone
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

Wow...thank you all for your input...im leaning heavily toward the iphone now and if you all dont mind another question...what besides age is the differance between the 4 and the 4s?

Thanks again everyone
    I'm an Android and iOS guy. I love them both. The transition between the two is really very easy. I've gone back and forth between the two for months. Like others have said, use Google to sync your contacts. Make sure any pictures or documents you have on your Android phone (or SD card) are transferred to your computer so you don't lose them and can then sync them to your iPhone.

The three main differences between the two are that the 4S has: a better camera, a faster processor, and Siri. Other than that, they're virtually the same phone. I think the antenna might be placed better in the 4S, as well. But not 100% sure about that.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,540 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks again everyone
    The 4S has a dual-core processor, better camera, and Siri (voice controlled assistant).
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    504 Global Posts

i went in the last year and a half, Moment-Evo 4g-Epic 4g-nexus s 4g-motorola photon 4g-iPhone 4s. Im not going back to android. I did everything with android you could outside of programming myself. I love my 4s. I jailbroke it, played with it, took it back to stock b/c it works so well without needing any tweaks. yes they may be nice but not needed. id say go for it. again im pretty much done with android and its glitches.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

If you get an iPhone: you will miss the larger screen, swappable batteries/sd cards, the back button, the menu button and especially widgets. You will enjoy the additional battery life, better camera, better accessory selection and much better game quality.

Personally I really miss AIX weather widget, Pure Messenger, Pure Calendar, Elecont weather widget and the Astrid notes widget... Apple, Please figure out connected live data apps for our connected devices k-thx. I also miss being able to toss in a fully charged spare battery though in fairness I don't need to as often as I did with my DINC.

ETA - The DINC was equally as stable as my iPhone so no improvement there but if you had one of the more problematic Android devices you may be pleased with iOS.
    Last edited by 1776_1865_RIP; 01-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    504 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1776_1865_RIP View Post
    If you get an iPhone: you will miss the larger screen, swappable batteries/sd cards, the back button, the menu button and especially widgets. You will enjoy the additional battery life, better camera, better accessory selection and much better game quality.

Personally I really miss AIX weather widget, Pure Messenger, Pure Calendar, Elecont weather widget and the Astrid notes widget... Apple, Please figure out connected live data apps for our connected devices k-thx. I also miss being able to toss in a fully charged spare battery though in fairness I don't need to as often as I did with my DINC.

ETA - The DINC was equally as stable as my iPhone so no improvement there but if you had one of the more problematic Android devices you may be pleased with iOS.
    i actually perfer not swapping memory cards or batteries. i thought i would but now i can put a case on my phone and not have to worry about dicking around taking it off to swap batteries,etc. This is again just my personal experience.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by |-KGB-|CaptHowdy View Post
    i actually perfer not swapping memory cards or batteries. i thought i would but now i can put a case on my phone and not have to worry about dicking around taking it off to swap batteries,etc. This is again just my personal experience.
    What kind of battery life are you getting on your iP4S? Like I said above, I'm a lover of Android and iOS. I'm usng a Nexus right now, but I also have a 4S that I'm debating on switching to. It is kind of nice to know that I've got that spare battery to switch to when needed, but it would also be nice to know that I don't have to worry about it (although yesterday I got roughly 15 hours off the charger before my phone died and that was half 3G, half 4G). Also, the SD card argument for me is obsolete since I'm using a Nexus and it doesn't have removable memory.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    504 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    What kind of battery life are you getting on your iP4S? Like I said above, I'm a lover of Android and iOS. I'm usng a Nexus right now, but I also have a 4S that I'm debating on switching to. It is kind of nice to know that I've got that spare battery to switch to when needed, but it would also be nice to know that I don't have to worry about it (although yesterday I got roughly 15 hours off the charger before my phone died and that was half 3G, half 4G). Also, the SD card argument for me is obsolete since I'm using a Nexus and it doesn't have removable memory.
    with pretty heavy usage(i work for sprint so im always using it). i usually make it through the day. Right now im at 40% and decided to charge but i have been using it quite a bit today. on my days off at the end of the night i been sitting around 40ish. So its better for sure. hard to say how much. but i love this phone b/c it works. i turn it on and it just works. dont need fancy widgets etc b/c ill just load the app. and the multitasking is the best i have ever come across. i love the way this thing handles multitasking. overall i love this phone and honestly believe ill use it for the next 2 years.
    Thanked by:
    TNBRITT (01-24-2012)
    TNBRITT likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Post Advice from an iOS & Android lover.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776_1865_RIP View Post

I love both my iPhone 4S and my Android phone & tablet. I cannot get enough of either & find myself debating which to use myself, so I alternate.

My advice is not directed at one or another, as it is not my choice to make for you, but it is as follows.

~My battery life & batteries:
    Android has been known for 'not always the best' battery life. On my AT&T HTC Vivid (which might be similar to your option of the Rezound on Verizon), I see maybe 2 days between charges with a few features turned off (including syncing Facebook, Weather, Stocks, etc.). On my iPhone 4S, I see similar battery life, with similar usage, average.
    We don't have AT&T 4G LTE here yet, so both are running on the AT&T's HSPA+ network.

Both Androids & iPhones have cases that have a mini battery built in, just incase you need a little more juice to make it through the day. The average costs range between $50.-$150. depending on the case, manufacture, & style of the case itself.

So, the battery life depends on what manner you use your phone. The Thunderbolt has horrible battery life, and that is worsened by using the Verizon 4G LTE network. The only advantage to an Android over an iPhone 4/4S in the battery department, is you get to use spare batteries (sold separately, & excludes the Motorola Droid Razr & Droid Maxx which have no removable batteries), where if an iPhone's battery craps out, you cannot replace the battery. At that point, you must either go into an Apple Store & they will likely give you another iPhone of equal value/colour, or you would need to send it into Apple to warranty. With Android, you get a new battery from your carrier's repair location or the manufacture direct.

I have only had 1 instance where I had a bad iPhone battery. I had to unjailbreak my iPhone, to exchange it at the store, then jailbreak the new iPhone. Just hope you don't receive a newer version of the iOS that isn't jailbreakable at that time. Also, I had 2 batteries die off with Android, but the carrier was nice enough to order me replacements each time.

~Memory/SD Cards:
    I find I rather prefer the SD Card approach better, as I don't have to use a cable to connect my phone to iTunes, and it charges during this time, & messes with my battery. However, with iCloud backup, the only time I really need to do that, is if iTunes & my iPhone don't agree on syncing, as recently my Ringtones didn't re-sync after I had to Jailbreak my 4S, and had to do a restore before I could Jailbreak (it was resisting my Jailbreak until I did).

With an Android (Some Samsung phones including the Nexus S & Galaxy Nexus excluded), you usually get an SD Card slot that can hold up to 32GB. My HTC Vivid has 16GB built-in + 32GB SD Card = too much space. But having the option is a nice feature.

I have 350 songs & 25 videos, & over 50 apps installed + jailbreak apps = 9GB free on my 16GB iPhone 4S. The apps with the highest memory usage are: Navigon which is 32MB and The Weather Channel Max at 8.5MB, also Line2 & Talkatone (VoIP apps).

I have noticed though, that the iOS version of the apps are slightly higher than the Android versions, however, the iOS versions do look better (eye candy), as they are mandated by Apple for submission to the AppStore. Also, some apps like Line2 do get frozen on the iPhone occasionally, as they do on Android. But I've seen Android have more FC's (Force Closes) than iOS does.

So, if you add media (music, video's, etc.) frequently to your computer or from another device that you transfer to your phone, then perhaps the SD Card might be ideal, but if you get music on your phone direct, then the SD Card slot might not be an issue.

~Contacts:
    I found my Gmail contacts easy thru iTunes. On iTunes, there is a tab at the top called "Info". On that tab, you have the option of "Sync Contacts with" then select "Google Contacts". I added my Gmail information, and it did the rest. Also in the iPhone directly, there is also a feature under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" adding my Gmail account allowed me to get my contacts that way too, plus you also get the option to sync your Google Calendar that way too.

And there are always apps in the AppStore that can sync the contacts also if you prefer that option.

~Comparing the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S:
    The iPhone 4 is/was an awesome device... last year. It has a 5MP camera with a Single-Core processor, and it doesn't talk back with a name of Siri.

The iPhone 4S is an awesome device... this year. It has an 8MP camera with a Dual-Core processor, it responds to your questions & requests with a voice named Siri. She's smart & a smart-arse at times, which is what we love about Siri. Also, with the iPhone 4S, you get voice to text (using the microphone icon on the keyboard), that will turn what you say to it into text that is useful for emails, text messages (SMS/MMS), etc.

It's like comparing (Delicious Red) Apples to (Granny Smith) Apples... They're both Apples, & both have the same shape (for the most part), but are different.

Summary:
    If you get an iPhone, please consider the iPhone 4S. Black or White, 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB, depends on your preference & needs.

If you are sold on an Android & prefer to stay with Android, I would recommend staying away from the Thunderbolt. The HTC Thunderbolt is also last years model, which was Verizon's 1st 4G LTE phone, & the battery life shows it. I'd recommend the HTC Rezound or HTC Incredible 2 over the Thunderbolt. But HTC makes a solid phone, & also has eye-candy graphics & style.

In the end, get what phone best suites your needs. This is the phone that you maybe stuck with for 2 years.

==========

PS: Perhaps I should've just written a review... or perhaps I did.
    Sorry for the long review/comparison, but now you should have detailed facts to make an informed decision.
    Last edited by Anonymous_User; 01-24-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Thanked by:
    TNBRITT (01-24-2012)
    TNBRITT likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Thanks
    Coming from a long line of Androids, I really miss not having a SD card. It was so much easier getting files on and off the phone. Not a big fan of having to use iTunes to perform many functions either. If my next phone is an iPhone as well, I am really going to miss my SD card. I used the same 32GB SD card on 4 different Android phones. Now I will have to pay an extra $100 for each increase in storage. iCloud is nice, but doesn't seem to be different than what you can get with Android. For my personal needs, it doesn't benefit me. I travel a lot so I can't use it on planes or while driving through places with spotty coverage.

Contact swapping was a breeze with Exchange. The only drawback was it didn't transfer my custom tags for contacts. For example, I used custom labels to differentiate people that had work and personal cell phones. Or I would create one contact for a client and custom labels for all the various employees numbers and emails. If that isn't an issue for you, it will be an easy transition.

You didn't ask about this, but thought it might come in handy. I notice that a lot apps that are free in the Android Market are not free in the App Store. Not sure why apps like WhatsApp is free for Android but .99 with Apple. It's not a lot of money, but it adds up over time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast