Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hondakorn
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default The Galaxy Nexus

Have any of you seen Samsung's new Galaxy Nexus, with google's no android operating system? It only came out a week ago in the states, but the screen is much bigger than the iPhone, it runs in 4G LTE, and it is thinner and lighter, and androids new Ice Cream Sandwich operating system rivals iOS5. The only down side is the 5 megapixel camera. I've spent some time with it, and honestly have come to prefer it to the iPhone. Any of you had experiences with the Galaxy Nexus?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Way too big. Still nowhere near as fluid as iOS. And until LTE offers as much coverage as 3G, all it is, is a battery drain.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

I find the screen size to be just right, with the iPhone 4 screen being too small. After spending a few minutes with it, I thought the OS was just as smooth as iOS 5. And the 4G coverage has been blazing fast wherever I go (however I do stay in the northeast). I think it all comes down to a matter of opinion (except for the camera being worse than the 4s).
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,566 Global Posts

Just depends. If I was on verizon and in an LTE area, i'd consider it. But i'm not and so i don't.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I liked it a lot....I can barely use it one handed, I have 4g where I live and work(Daytona/Orlando) and its very fast......but I prefer my 4s honestly. But I hope a slightly larger screen is in the iPhone's future though. I will still get one if there is a penny sale on amazon......I'm a junkie like that lol.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I picked the Galaxy Nexus up when it first came out to check out ICS. Used it for a weekend and then returned it, the overall polish and navigation of the device was too involved in comparison to my 4S. The screen real estate was nice, but for me with average sized hands it was a two handed device for sure. Overall, it still feels like its lagging behind in consistency and ease of use in comparison to my iPhone, just my $0.02.
    iPhone Newbie

I think Galaxy Nexus is the best model of the samsung..what you all are think guys
    please tell me
    iPhone Nanite

Default nexus prime

How can I view powerpoint on galaxy nexus/ nexus prime?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by totalimmortal View Post
    Because if we never tell anyone why they're wrong, they'll never learn. Oh, and he's just trying to start a fight about Android Vs. iPhone.

ICS is comparable to iOS5. Really???
    Each person is different. I have a few friends who love the android operating system and don't like the iOS. From playing with their phones, I could have gone either way (android or iOS), I just needed a phone and the nexus wasn't out for my carrier at the time.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

Guys I own both the 4S and Galaxy Nexus, the 4S being my primary phone.
    Tbh ICS needs a little tweaking before it can get to the fluid experience that iOS offers. To me, Android is all about customisation. If you like to change the stock appearance/functions of your OS, then Android is the way to go but if simplicity is all you looking for then nothing can beat iOS.

My $0.02
    iPhone Beginner

I'm considering both phones. My current phone is an HTC Incredible, which I really like. My wife and stepson just got iPhones and they like them a lot (both had androids). What I like about the Nexus is indeed that big beautiful screen. I don't live in a 4G area don't care about that. I do like my current batch of android apps and Launcher Pro. I have an iMac so OSX is no stanger to me either. I'm gonna give the Big Dog a whirl and see how is shakes out. I get 2 weeks to see. I hear Apple people praising the fluid experience of OSX and stuff like that but I see that as pretty vague tbh. MPSHAH what do you like specifically better about the GN over the iPhone since you have both? Just curious. Not many persons on this and the android forum have had both of these phones.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 01-03-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    iPhone Beginner

Bumping this thread up. I got the Galaxy Nexus 2 weeks ago. So far it's everything I expected. Some highlights: the screen is GREAT. Even using the auto brightness setting I can see it in sunlight like I never could my Dinc. The size is what I bought it for and I like it. I make fewer typing mistakes (but I don't think the keyboard is that much bigger). Reading anything is way better. The ICS operating system rocks. I really like it, and it didn't take long to get the hand of it compared to Gingerbread. It it logical and being an Apple Fanboy (iMac, iTouch, Apple TV, iPod, iPad, wife with 4S) the similarities between this and OSX are why Steve Jobs was suing Google (they still are). Battery and signal strength are the same as my Dinc (I don't get 4G here). The screen use is a higher % of battery use but by the end of the day I'm 50% or more. I made it a day and a half once, and I used GPS several times. Camera is fine, it's a cellphone camera after all. There's a panoramic setting. I haven't used the video yet. The photo gallery is a copy of iPhoto and there's an easy photo fix feature too (sue 'em some more!). If there's a downside it's that the phone is bigger, and people who txt with one hand (stepson) probably won't be able to. I'm glad I got it, it was $250 for 32gb (the card is internal, not SD) with my discount with Vzn. Any questions I'll be happy to answer.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    402 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
    Bumping this thread up. I got the Galaxy Nexus 2 weeks ago. So far it's everything I expected. Some highlights: the screen is GREAT. Even using the auto brightness setting I can see it in sunlight like I never could my Dinc. The size is what I bought it for and I like it. I make fewer typing mistakes (but I don't think the keyboard is that much bigger). Reading anything is way better. The ICS operating system rocks. I really like it, and it didn't take long to get the hand of it compared to Gingerbread. It it logical and being an Apple Fanboy (iMac, iTouch, Apple TV, iPod, iPad, wife with 4S) the similarities between this and OSX are why Steve Jobs was suing Google (they still are). Battery and signal strength are the same as my Dinc (I don't get 4G here). The screen use is a higher % of battery use but by the end of the day I'm 50% or more. I made it a day and a half once, and I used GPS several times. Camera is fine, it's a cellphone camera after all. There's a panoramic setting. I haven't used the video yet. The photo gallery is a copy of iPhoto and there's an easy photo fix feature too (sue 'em some more!). If there's a downside it's that the phone is bigger, and people who txt with one hand (stepson) probably won't be able to. I'm glad I got it, it was $250 for 32gb (the card is internal, not SD) with my discount with Vzn. Any questions I'll be happy to answer.
    Nice. My wife and I are debating between the Galaxy Note or wait for iphone 5. Have you tried the note?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts

I've tried three separate times to like that phone and kept coming back to the 4s...first one, the battery life was horrendous...second one, i got a car charger so the battery wasn't as much of a big deal but having no signal at all when my wife's old blackberry tour had full bars was a joke...third one i returned today because every single time I tried to use it there would be no data connection unless I rebooted. Back to the iPhone and that's where I'll stay until possibly the next generation of android...unless the next iPhone is what I hope it will be. My opinion, if you must get a smartphone other than an iPhone on Verizon then get the razr maxx...
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Motor96 View Post
    Nice. My wife and I are debating between the Galaxy Note or wait for iphone 5. Have you tried the note?
    I would wait for the iPhone 5. It should have 4g LTE speeds and hopefully a slightly larger screen. If you have to have a phone right now, then I would pick the Galaxy Note > iPhone 4s because you will have to wait 2 more years before your next upgrade and staying on 3g with such a small screen for that long will be hard.

I currently own a white 16 gig iphone 4s and a galaxy nexus. (I returned the Note because it was too large)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

I use a 4S but if I was to switch back to Android I would get the Nexus:
    - It will get timely OS updates unlike other android phones
    - It doesn't have a manufacturer's crap skin over android, do its faster and more stable than other android phones
    - Hi res display is still pentile, but at 720 its almost as good as the 4S
    - File system (MTP I think) allows use of all 32GB for apps or data (like the iPhone)
    - Swappable battery
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c.hack View Post
    I use a 4S but if I was to switch back to Android I would get the Nexus:
    - It will get timely OS updates unlike other android phones
    - It doesn't have a manufacturer's crap skin over android, do its faster and more stable than other android phones
    - Hi res display is still pentile, but at 720 its almost as good as the 4S
    - File system (MTP I think) allows use of all 32GB for apps or data (like the iPhone)
    - Swappable battery
    Those are the pros....you forgot about the cons. Lol
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roll-Tide View Post
    Those are the pros....you forgot about the cons. Lol
    Good point. I'm no longer a fan of Android but hate to bash what is probably the best of them.

Cons:
    - Apps are still not as good as iPhone. In my most recent experience with a Droid X2 last week, there is no Flipboard, Zite is not as good (mostly a front end for the web), DirecTV app is a joke, MOG app has limited functionality, Slacker is unstable, Path can't upload video, Fitbit doesn't even work offline, etc...
    - The GPS on Moto Droids is flaky a requires frequent battery pulls. I have heard Samsung GPS has had problems as well
    - Poor battery life. I get 2 days on my 4S and only 12 hours on a Droid X2 without LTE. The Nexus is even worse.
    - Cheap construction
    - Pentile matrix screen
    - Awkward to hold and type one-handed
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I recently switched from my 4s and im a bit disappointed. While i appreciate the screen size, the battery life is poor and ive tried several kernels. Ive also tried quite a few radio combos but i constantly lose 3g/4g....but i got the phone used so i could have a defective model.

Ill keep playing with it until i find another 4s trade lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    c_hack likes this.
    iPhone Beginner

Default Re: The Galaxy Nexus

Ever since jb came out I'll say android is as smooth as iOS and the new note is wicked. BTW sprint is selling the s3 for new and current customers on bf

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2