Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Default iPhone Clarifications for a BB user

I am growing more and more disenchanted with my BB. Now with everything else that is happening to RIM I feel as though I may want to try the iPhone4S. I have some concerns though. I keep hearing that email sucks on iPhone, is this true? I use @msn and @gmail accounts, do they work on the iPhone? I am a small business owner so I need these emails to get to me as soon as they are sent I sometimes can't wait for the 15 minutes polling, is this possible? I have also heard that personalizing the ringtones, sms alerts, and email notifications is non-existent. Again is this true? Does the vibration and ringtone work simultaneously, I work in an environment where this is a MUST have? How could so many lovers of iPhone put up with this if it is? I am no uber phone tech, but I have learned to install leaked and hybrid OS's on my BB. It has gotten me into trouble and gotten me out. Can this be done with iPhone? I tried a D2 for 2 weeks and HATED it. Do they even compare? Also I will be doing some international traveling in the next year, will the 4S be able to accomplish this on Verizon or will I be taking a loaner phone?
    Help clearing the air on this would be great. Thanks
    Last edited by BB9650; 10-12-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by BB9650 View Post
    I am growing more and more disenchanted with my BB. Now with everything else that is happening to RIM I feel as though I may want to try the iPhone4S. I have some concerns though. I keep hearing that email sucks on iPhone, is this true? I use @msn and @gmail accounts, do they work on the iPhone? I am a small business owner so I need these emails to get to me as soon as they are sent I sometimes can't wait for the 15 minutes polling, is this possible? I have also heard that personalizing the ringtones, sms alerts, and email notifications is non-existent. Again is this true? Does the vibration and ringtone work simultaneously, I work in an environment where this is a MUST have? How could so many lovers of iPhone put up with this if it is? I am no uber phone tech, but I have learned to install leaked and hybrid OS's on my BB. It has gotten me into trouble and gotten me out. Can this be done with iPhone? I tried a D2 for 2 weeks and HATED it. Do they even compare?
    Help clearing the air on this would be great. Thanks
    Hi,

If you can't wait for 15 minutes tap the send/receive. Do you spend your whole day clicking on send and receive at other mail clients? It that's the case I don't know what to tell you.

Even msn and gmail accounts aren't reaching you instantly. Doesn't your business have it's own domain? Forward other mail to it and use push email. Host your domain with Google or a Microsoft ASP.

On leaked, hybrid, rooted and jail breaking your OS? You run a business? Do you want tool or toy? I need a tool and security so use mainstream release software on good hardware.

If you're in business, I'll point out that I have to use all the phone platforms for my work but chose the iPhone for my business because there are so many good apps available for an iPhone. Go browse app stores for other platforms. Look for accounting interfaces, remote support clients, terminal emulation, tools for musicians, specialty navigation, clients and integration with cloud and back office platforms. Same app scaling between phone and tablet? By some measures other phone platforms stink or will stink for some time to come because of the application development.

Final comment. Ask an iPhone user how often they do a battery pull.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

P.S. On your request for constant mail polling... I'd tell you an UDP joke, but am not sure you'd get it, and the problem with TDP jokes is people keep retelling them slower until you get them.
    Last edited by imwjl; 10-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Gmail does support push email. Configure it using Exchange protocol and get your mail just as instantly as your BB does
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

If you can't wait for 15 minutes tap the send/receive. Do you spend your whole day clicking on send and receive at other mail clients? It that's the case I don't know what to tell you.
    Even msn and gmail accounts aren't reaching you instantly. Doesn't your business have it's own domain? Forward other mail to it and use push email. Host your domain with Google or a Microsoft ASP.

Currently I receive my gmail faster than my desktop. I don't have to push any button, it just shows up. Yes, you are right msn seems to show up whenever it wants in the 15 minute window, that's why I added gmail. We do not have a domain but in the future we might. Yes, I receive emails all day and sometimes at night, but sometimes a 15 minute poll just doesn't work for me.
    On leaked, hybrid, rooted and jail breaking your OS? You run a business? Do you want tool or toy? I need a tool and security so use mainstream release software on good hardware.
    Yes I run a business. But even the official releases have problems sometimes and some hybrids have eliminated them for me. So, I need a Tool that is As Reliable As Possible and if that means that I have to learn how to tweak it then I will. Are you saying you have never had a bug or problem with iPhone? If that's the case then that's awesome.
    Final comment. Ask an iPhone user how often they do a battery pull.
    That's why I came to this forum. I am getting tired of battery pulls. I need iPhone users input. I don't personally know anyone who has one and I want help in making an informed decision. It seems that most of the people I am around have some sort of Droid or a BB. Most people in my area are on Verizon, so until recently you couldn't get the iPhone unless you went to AT&T. I am not trying to bash anyone I just want information. If its better than BB or as good than I will get one. I am just relaying things I have heard that have kept me away and I want to find out from iPhone users the truth.
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by BB9650 View Post
    If its better than BB or as good than I will get one. I am just relaying things I have heard that have kept me away and I want to find out from iPhone users the truth.
    Hi,

It's different, more than it's better when you're comparing one of the better RIM phones. BES and BIS really are great for messaging. That said, the BES servers I administer are idle or close to idle.

I can't stop my dealing with all the popular phones because I'm a sys admin but I'm not giving up my iPhone because of some apps that are either great or not available elsewhere. Same for the delivery of podcasts I like. Nice hardware design is icing on the cake.

The one thing I don't get with your interests is instant and email. It's a connectionless protocol as far as client to client goes, and life's not fun when Blackberry's infrastructure is down on occasion. The old fashioned phone call and text message are better protocols for instant messaging.

An iPhone certainly has the high resale value if you're not happy with your decision.

Good luck.
    iPhone Intermediate

I think it's just two different ways of doing email. I like that iPhone supports IMAP, because my BB doesn't have that. I've also wondered about customizing ringtones for alerts.
    Laura Elizebeth Harris on the iBooks Store
    ~Laura~