Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

Default Moving from webOS?

Who else is moving from original Pre to iPhone now that Sprint has? Glad I have had an iPad to somewhat "bridge" the culture shock.

What will you miss most, what won't you miss?

I'm looking forward to a camera that won't lock for minutes on end, better battery life, better integration w/my media and ability to buy an app once and use on multiple devices. Oh and apps, lots o' apps.

I will miss cards, gestures, home brew, and the Touchstone (I have 5 of them), which makes charging ever so easy. Think I'll miss physical keyboard also.

This is a big switch after being long-time Palm guy. I've gone from a Visor to a Treo 600 then 650, then 700P, 800w and finally a Palm Pre. That's nearly a decade of devices from same manufacturer.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,521 Global Posts

It would be so cool if iOS had the cards multitasking like webOS.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I used to have the original Pre, then went to the Evo 4G, just ordered the 4S.

The most important warning I can give you is to be careful with the virtual keyboard, it takes some getting used to. It's quite different from using one occasionally and having to use it full time.

For the first few days with my Evo, I kept trying to swipe stuff of the screen! LOL

Mistress of Mischief
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

Believe me the only thing you will miss is the gesture area nothing else multitasking not so much since the iOS 5 is pretty good at it
    iPhone Nanite

I'm in the same boat, I've used Palm devices for over a decade too. I'll definitely miss the touchstones the most, but I'm also afraid of how much I might miss the keyboard. I've had an iPad for about a year so I'm already used to iOS. Palm had a lot of potential with WebOS, but blew it by not having decent hardware and never integrating any sort of media management.

What rocks about Apple products is simplicity, quality, and availabilty of everything for them from apps to accessories!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

Webos was actually pretty good but palm just couldn't compete mshbd with an evo like device with webos it would have been a different story. I too kept trying to swipe things off the screen with my evo after the switch from the Palm pre
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

Touchstones, Gestures, and not having to close out of my multitasking twice! (cards pretty much).
    I loved my touchstone, though i don't find it that inconvenient to have to plug my phone in.
    I will take gestures over a physical button any day.
    Cards is the best multitasking period.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I'll definitely miss gestures and cards. Cards is the best way to multitask. Gestures was pretty convenient to go back a page and switch between apps. I had a pre- since launch but about 6 months ago bought a Pre2 and converted it to sprint. Time to take the leap to iOS thought. I'm going to miss the pre2
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Cards and WebOS notifications will be the most missed features for me -- the latter especially with the delete from notifications patch. The new iOS notifications just don't seem as elegant.

Looking forward to apps, battery life, slightly larger screen, and this whole Siri thing.

Not looking forward to mistaking my phone for everyone else's . . .
    iPhone Intermediate

Web OS is really nice. It was the only OS that I'd considered changing to before WP Mango. But I'll never leave iOS again. It's a waste of money because I always come back!
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

...I'm also looking forward to iOS 5 notifications being less obtrusive than current...more like webOS.

Is jailbreaking, and what comes with it, as robust as the homebrew community is?
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Well I am not leaving webOS but my cousins, his wife and 6 of my friends are xD. Npw they can join me and the other million+ on the iOS family.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

webOS convert here! Very first iPhone as well. Def going to miss the multi-tasking.
    iPhone Beginner

All I will miss is the card multitasking interface, gesture area, and touchstone, although with a dock it's not really a huge deal. I just really like the gesture area. Swiping made things so fluid. I'm rocking a Pre 2 at the moment and cannot wait for the 4S. WebOS had/has tons of potential, but with the way it's been run I just don't know if it can or will be saved.
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Is jailbreaking, and what comes with it, as robust as the homebrew community is?
    Jailbreaking is all you could ever ask for. Pretty much homebrew + more. Considering it probably has at least twice as many people. Though don't bother unless you get a untethered.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,521 Global Posts

Palm Pre 2 would have had alot more potential if HP wasn't fumbling webOS.
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    Palm Pre 2 would have had alot more potential if HP wasn't fumbling webOS.
    Pre 2 would have had a lot more potential if I'd didn't have the quietest release in history. Not to mention came to Verizon the same time the veer and 3 got announced.
    paul-c likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.x

I'm making the switch to iPhone after several years with Palm/HP (Treo 650>Treo 700w>Pre). I was eagerly awaiting the Pre3 and would have bought it without hesitation. Like others here, I have been really happy with gestures and cards. The touchstone is very convenient. But it is the power of webOS and the amazingly talented homebrew community (webOS Internals especially) that made me a dedicated Pre user until now.

I've never had an iPhone, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm expecting a learning curve, and I'm sure that I will be attempting to "swipe" for several days. But I believe the specs of the iPhone 4s and the many, many apps that webOS users have been forced to do without will be more than adequate compensation for the loss of the webOS qualities that I value most.

At least, I hope so.
    Thanked by:
    artwest50 (12-31-2011), daihan123 (10-10-2011)
    dslunceford and daihan123 like this.
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,448 Global Posts

I left Sprint in Feb and ditched my Pre then for the iPhone. What I miss is the cards thing, the keyboard and the Touchstone. That's really mostly it.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Who else is moving from original Pre to iPhone now that Sprint has? Glad I have had an iPad to somewhat "bridge" the culture shock.

What will you miss most, what won't you miss?

I'm looking forward to a camera that won't lock for minutes on end, better battery life, better integration w/my media and ability to buy an app once and use on multiple devices. Oh and apps, lots o' apps.

I will miss cards, gestures, home brew, and the Touchstone (I have 5 of them), which makes charging ever so easy. Think I'll miss physical keyboard also.

This is a big switch after being long-time Palm guy. I've gone from a Visor to a Treo 600 then 650, then 700P, 800w and finally a Palm Pre. That's nearly a decade of devices from same manufacturer.
    I'm excited to be moving to something that won't crash all the time, chew through the battery in half a day and actually be supported with updates. I know the Touchstone will be the most missed but hopefully the iPhone battery will last through a full day and then some. Thankfully, TiPb has a great community so missing PreCentral will be less an issue.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    I'm making the switch to iPhone after several years with Palm/HP (Treo 650>Treo 700w>Pre). I was eagerly awaiting the Pre3 and would have bought it without hesitation. Like others here, I have been really happy with gestures and cards. The touchstone is very convenient. But it is the power of webOS and the amazingly talented homebrew community (webOS Internals especially) that made me a dedicated Pre user until now.

I've never had an iPhone, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm expecting a learning curve, and I'm sure that I will be attempting to "swipe" for several days. But I believe the specs of the iPhone 4s and the many, many apps that webOS users have been forced to do without will be more than adequate compensation for the loss of the webOS qualities that I value most.

At least, I hope so.
    You wrote exactly what I would have. So I hope you do not mind me quoting. I will miss all of the above. I actually will miss the keyboard. I have not had much luck with virtual keyboards on phones. I am managing on my 1st gen iPad. But this will be 1st iPhone ever. I will mourn my Pre, but will keep it for memories and just in case situations.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

Just an FYI, there is an iPhone case which provides inductive charging. It's just not built in.

In any case, it's an option...
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts
    iOS Version

To the op, i'll miss everything you will except for the keyboard. Im so done with keyboards. But in ios, i all ways turn off autocorrect cause its pretty crappy.
    Last edited by Patricksmangann; 10-10-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

Me! I loved my Pre! I was holding out for a Pre3, but since she is not coming it's time for something new... I'm hoping webOS didn't ruin me. =P
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

Ok, one thing I'm missing that I didn't anticipate...webOS's ability to pull in contact photos from Facebook and LinkedIn via Synergy. Anyone know if there's an app for that?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast