Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Irish Rose
  • 1 Post By SteveyAsp
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,373 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iPhone 4 or Galaxy S II: Which should you get?

Anyone trying to decide between an iPhone and a Galaxy S II? If you absolutely can't wait for next month and a possible iPhone 5 to consider, and have to get one of these phones now, this is the thread for you.

If you have questions or need help deciding, fire away!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I had this very opportunity, and I ended up with the iPhone simply because the Samsung phone is going to run Gingerbread. That particular OS left a very sour taste in my mouth because of my horrible experiences with the EVO after the GB update. So...no thanks. I anticipate I will be with Apple for quite a while.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,730 Global Posts

For me it boils down to iOS ecosystem vs android. It's no contest. With an ipad, ipod touch, and several apple tv's i've given family members along with hundreds of iOS apps already purchased..
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I keep going back and forth on whether to wait for Apple to announce the new iPhones so I can see what they will be like, or just go for the Galaxy S2 on Oct. 2nd and test it out for a few days. The GS2 has a lot of nice features and a 8MP camera as well as a 4.3" screen. It will be hard to turn that down IF the iPhone 5 isn't coming out till 2012 as some of the rumors are saying it will. If only Apple had made their announcement before the GS2 came out here in the US....
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

I still can't chose between the 4s or the GS2. I keep going back and forth. I love the google maps intergration in Andriod but I love the itunes intergration in iOS. Decisions decisions.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

My upgrade eligibility is February 25th, 2012. Right now, I have a perfectly good 16gb iPhone 4 that I purchased on September 24, 2010. I can't decide between three options upon my upgrade date:

1. Get iPhone 4S, likely in 64 GB flavor so I can have ALL of my music and photos on one device.
    2. Get Samsung Galaxy S II and give Android a try, and deciding within 30 days whether or not it is for me.
    3. Get nothing, and keep iPhone 4 until iPhone 5 is released, whenever that may be.

I don't foresee anything happening to my iPhone 4 to hinder its usability between now and then, but I know getting another year-and-a-half to two-years out of it would be pushing it.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
    iPhone Nanite

Default iPhone 4S is the way to go..

Hi, here's my review of the iPhone 4S from the perspective of a first time buyer (which I am).

After testing I've found it to be quite impressive, take a look at my review...
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

I'd pit the comparison between the iPhone 4S vs. Galaxy Nexus which is what im personally dealing with. Galaxy S2 is already bested with the Skyrocket for the most part.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ardieboy View Post
    Hi, here's my review of the iPhone 4S from the perspective of a first time buyer (which I am).

After testing I've found it to be quite impressive, take a look at my review...
    Hi there. I would gladly look at your review, but I seem to be having difficulty finding it.
    tlo07 likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Two of my co workers just got the Galaxy S II, so I had a chance to play around with one. Hardware and Spec-wise, there is no doubt in my mind that the S II is a better device than the i4 (NOT the i4S). However, I'm already listening to them gripe about the battery life, and software glitches (Gingerbread). So.....thanks but no thanks, I will stick with my iPhone.
    iPhone Newbie

I phone4! the whole apple environment is just better connected. especially the upgrade problems for android. so the iphone is more stable when you connect the question of hardware and software.
    iPhone Nanite

Just made the change to iPhone from android. If I knew it was this much better, I would have paid to make the change early. Don't listen to anyone who tells you android has free apps. iPhone does too. Difference: iPhone apps (free or not) actually work. And waiting for a phone to boot up like android is not acceptable is my eyes. When I need a phone, I need it now. Trust me, I could go on.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

I have both the SGS2 and iPhone 4 and I honestly can't choose between them, battery life is about the same, I like the bigger screen on the SGS2 but there is still no keyboard on Android IMO that matches the iPhone one for usability
    tlo07 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,529 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Honestly from the looks of the nexus? I wouldn't go sgs2 at all. The nexus looks gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Former BlackBerry Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Palm Pre, Galaxy S Vibrant, HTC Desire Z, back to Galaxy S, iPhone 4 White 16GB, BB Bold 9900 White (sold), back to iPhone 4, SGS3 Pebble Blue, SGS3 Garnet Red, BlackBerry Z10 White, 16Gb iPhone 5 White
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I switched from my iphone 4 to the atrix 4g, I miss the IOS, so much nicer than android IMO
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,792 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

One of my daughters, and her husband, are Android fans. They both love the HTC Vivid, and he's been trying to talk me into switching. I'm not going anywhere for now, and i heard that it's a real pain to get your music out of iTunes, and into Android.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would go with the iPhone 4
    iPhone Beginner

Default Re: iPhone 4 or Galaxy S II: Which should you get?

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    One of my daughters, and her husband, are Android fans. They both love the HTC Vivid, and he's been trying to talk me into switching. I'm not going anywhere for now, and i heard that it's a real pain to get your music out of iTunes, and into Android.
    Its easy just install Google music on your desktop and it will copy your iTunes library into your Google music library

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Beginner

Default Re: iPhone 4 or Galaxy S II: Which should you get?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveyAsp View Post
    I have both the SGS2 and iPhone 4 and I honestly can't choose between them, battery life is about the same, I like the bigger screen on the SGS2 but there is still no keyboard on Android IMO that matches the iPhone one for usability
    I highly doubt that its hundreds of them

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2