Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Default Comparision

Hey rademe
    I don't think that blackberry is better than iPhone if all the features are compared.
    Blackberry is better than iPhone in only single feature i.e. mailing security, else in every other aspect iPhone devices are much better than blackberry smart phones.
    I am Daniel Jones, working in an iPhone Application Development Company as iPhone Apps Developer. I enjoy exploring apps on iOS, blackberry, android and other mobile platforms.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Personally I think Blackberries are better for having the track ball. It's so much easier to click on little links in the web browser. I'm sure Apple will catch up with security soon enough so it's not a big deal. The speaker phone is better for sure. If you don't believe that then just play a song out of both devices and you'll see what I'm talking about. Obviously the keyboard helps a lot. Apple shouldn't be so damned stubborn. They should have a keyboard device or something. Oh and that said Blackberry is better for choices. It's not just 1 option with this or that many gb's. Now the other side of the argument. Iphones are better for just about everything else. BB10 will be better for HTML5 (check out the youtube videos) but that could be it for all we know plus what I've already stated. Choices is huge though and is why Iphone isn't huge in small markets. I'm a blackberry user but I'm not going to say they are better phones. An Iphone is a way better piece of hardware.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,702 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by KiLuMaNaTi View Post
    Personally I think Blackberries are better for having the track ball. It's so much easier to click on little links in the web browser.
    I just tap the link on the screen with my fingers. Way easier than dealing with a trackball that gets stuck or goes wonky.

I'm sure Apple will catch up with security soon enough so it's not a big deal.
    Apple is secure enough for my needs.

The speaker phone is better for sure. If you don't believe that then just play a song out of both devices and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    The speaker on my iPhone blows my BBs out of the water.

Obviously the keyboard helps a lot. Apple shouldn't be so damned stubborn. They should have a keyboard device or something.
    Not for everyone. Being a female with very small hands, typing on the BB KB was always a PIMA. I can only imagine what it's like for a man or a woman with bigger hands than mine. Typing on a v-KB for me is a lot easier than on the tiny cramped keys of a BB.

Oh and that said Blackberry is better for choices. It's not just 1 option with this or that many gb's.
    Not sure how GBs fit in with an iPhone vs BB, but whatever. If you JB your iPhone, you have as many choices as a BB, if not more.

Now the other side of the argument. Iphones are better for just about everything else. BB10 will be better for HTML5 (check out the youtube videos) but that could be it for all we know plus what I've already stated. Choices is huge though and is why Iphone isn't huge in small markets. I'm a blackberry user but I'm not going to say they are better phones. An Iphone is a way better piece of hardware.
    BBX has yet to drop and if it doesn't have the developer support for apps that iOS and Android have, it'll be dead before it takes off. People want to play Angry Birds and watch Netflix on their devices, not have 50 calculator apps.

But what's better is in the eye of the beholder.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Those are all good points. What I meant by choices though is price/style. That kind of thing. As for the keyboard, I'm 6'4 and I'm a large guy(which is a reason I like my track pad). I don't have an issue with the key size at all. I just find its easier to type with 2 thumbs and type faster using the physical keyboard. I personally suck with a touch screen though. This could be the case with a lot of BB users I'm not sure. It didn't take me long to get used to thats all. I still haven't gotten use to the touchscreen keyboards.

The choices thing is still huge for me though. Is BB10 doesn't work out my next phone will likely fun android. If android ultimately loses this war with apple then hello WP8. Then again if apple offer more options in the future i could be using one of them.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Oh and yea, it all depends on the person really. Better for end user is the term that should be used not just better.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by NealWong View Post
    GTFO.
    hahaha blackberry sucks now.
    I agree. Blackberry has always lagged behind other phones as far as software goes and it got worse with the delay of BB10. I think they should go the route that Sega did in video games and make software, not devices.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    7,923 Global Posts

Default Why is a blackberry better than an iPhone?

WAY better for enterprise work. But windows phone is at the same level at blackberry, in terms of how good it is for enterprises.

Global Posts
    3,808 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    WAY better for enterprise work. But windows phone is at the same level at blackberry, in terms of how good it is for enterprises.
    I wonder what evidences you are drawing from here ...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Wrote pretty much every single word while listening to iRon Maiden
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Why is a blackberry better than an iPhone?

i stick to my blackberry for a few reasons. keyboard/only device that can get my work email not on a work phone/bbm/led and mainly because blackberry has never let me down as a phone. yest there has been a few outages in the past few years but no phone is perfect. when irene stormed through my area all towers were inaccessible to calls and texts but i could bbm my family and let them know i was ok.

you keep and use a phone because it suits you, not because someone thinks its better or worse than theirs.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,702 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    i stick to my blackberry for a few reasons. keyboard/only device that can get my work email not on a work phone/bbm/led and mainly because blackberry has never let me down as a phone. yest there has been a few outages in the past few years but no phone is perfect.
    iMessage has gone down a few times since I had my iPhone. Unlike when the BB servers went down, I could still use my iPhone for something other than a paperweight, golf ball or door stop. When BB servers went down, my phone was useless. No text. No email. No internet. Nothing. When iMessage went down, I could still text, email and use the Internet.

when irene stormed through my area all towers were inaccessible to calls and texts but i could bbm my family and let them know i was ok.

you keep and use a phone because it suits you, not because someone thinks its better or worse than theirs.
    BBM has always been BBOS's shining feature but its downfall is that you can only communicate with other BBOS users. With the BBOS market share shrinking daily, it's not useful if no one you know has it.

Even if data goes out on my iPhone, it's still a phone that can be used to call someone and go "Hey! I'm not dead. Gotta save battery. Toodles!" and hang up.

Two out of the three people I know that still owned BB dumped theirs in favor of the G3 and another Android model that I can't think of the name right now. I had < 6 people on my BBM list when I dumped it. Out of those six, only one is left with a BB.

I don't think BBX is going to be the savior they hope it'll be. It doesn't sound like any app developers are excited and that's where they lost their market share.

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListenstoLaura View Post
    iMessage has gone down a few times since I had my iPhone. Unlike when the BB servers went down, I could still use my iPhone for something other than a paperweight, golf ball or door stop. When BB servers went down, my phone was useless. No text. No email. No internet. Nothing. When iMessage went down, I could still text, email and use the Internet.

BBM has always been BBOS's shining feature but its downfall is that you can only communicate with other BBOS users. With the BBOS market share shrinking daily, it's not useful if no one you know has it.

Even if data goes out on my iPhone, it's still a phone that can be used to call someone and go "Hey! I'm not dead. Gotta save battery. Toodles!" and hang up.

Two out of the three people I know that still owned BB dumped theirs in favor of the G3 and another Android model that I can't think of the name right now. I had < 6 people on my BBM list when I dumped it. Out of those six, only one is left with a BB.

I don't think BBX is going to be the savior they hope it'll be. It doesn't sound like any app developers are excited and that's where they lost their market share.
    I feel you haven't had a bb in a long time. When bis is down you can still call and text. I also have opera browser that bypasses bid and uses the carrier data.

Also to critique one more thing. In an emergency and towers are overloaded you cannot make phone calls or text anybody but bis will bypass that and the noc allows for emergency BBm/email and web activity.

Try to do a bit more research before you bash rim.

As for bb10 nobody can say right now if it will save or kill them. It's not out to anybody but developers. Word on the web is they are getting good reviews but that's from rim and. It regular tech bloggers. I have only read a few stories from regular tech bloggers non affiliated with rim and they seemed pretty positive.

That's like me saying ios7 is going to tank apples Credibility. I've never used it and I'm making an assumption.

Sent using Tapatalk
    jlarkins08 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    BB user.

My love of BB is for the keyboard short cuts. I use my phone as a communications device. All day, I'm either on the phone, texting, BBM'ing, or emailing. I agree that the iPhone is not just a 'toy' but it really is meant for media consumption than for communication.
    Keyboard short cuts I live by:
    1. speed dial - one touch dialing from the home screen
    2. app launching - one touch press to any pre-defined app
    3. inside messaging apps, word substitution (not familiar with iOS so correct me if I'm wrong that this is unique) - for example I type 'omw' and the output is "I'm on my way home now." You can define any number of pre-defined phrases or even just simple word substition, like 'ur' = you are. Or whatever. I use this feature sooooo much.
    4. inside email, all the basic features have one touch shortcuts. Type 'c' to compose a new message. 'r' opens the reply screen. 'L' for reply all. In the email list, 't' for top of the list, 'b' for the bottom of the list, 's' for a search window, 'space' to scroll down one screen, 'alt-space' to scroll up, 'u' for unread messages. The list really goes on. For me, THIS is what sets BB apart from any other platform for emailing. I can hammer out emails like there's no tomorrow (which might be the case for RIM??) and these short cuts just help me get things done. I don't want to spend time navigating and flipping screens to find something. Simply having a good email reader with push doesn't mean you can type out lengthy emails and manage the 50 or so that I get every day. Oh, and being able to attach files is a bit of a bonus. I don't attach many files in general but I was a bit surprised to hear that as a 'business' phone, you can't attach files. Maybe the iP5S will fix that.

Global Posts
    15,455 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

iPhone 5s Will not be the changer to this, It will be coded into the OS which will make all Models they choose to accept the update if it is made available.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iPhone Nanite

I have to say that the phyisical QWERTY keyboard is soo awesome compared to the touchscreen, no problems in the rain etc.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jefftam68 View Post
    My love of BB is for the keyboard short cuts. I use my phone as a communications device. All day, I'm either on the phone, texting, BBM'ing, or emailing. I agree that the iPhone is not just a 'toy' but it really is meant for media consumption than for communication.
    3. inside messaging apps, word substitution (not familiar with iOS so correct me if I'm wrong that this is unique) - for example I type 'omw' and the output is "I'm on my way home now." You can define any number of pre-defined phrases or even just simple word substition, like 'ur' = you are. Or whatever. I use this feature sooooo much.
    4. inside email, all the basic features have one touch shortcuts. Type 'c' to compose a new message. 'r' opens the reply screen. 'L' for reply all. In the email list, 't' for top of the list, 'b' for the bottom of the list, 's' for a search window, 'space' to scroll down one screen, 'alt-space' to scroll up, 'u' for unread messages. The list really goes on. For me, THIS is what sets BB apart from any other platform for emailing. I can hammer out emails like there's no tomorrow (which might be the case for RIM??) and these short cuts just help me get things done. I don't want to spend time navigating and flipping screens to find something. Simply having a good email reader with push doesn't mean you can type out lengthy emails and manage the 50 or so that I get every day. Oh, and being able to attach files is a bit of a bonus. I don't attach many files in general but I was a bit surprised to hear that as a 'business' phone, you can't attach files. Maybe the iP5S will fix that.
    i will agree with you with all the keyboard shortcuts. unfortunately most basic users are not aware of these features. as much as i love the keyboard when the new bb10 devices drop and my update is up for a new phone i think i might go with the full touch. the old legacy os with blackberry was made for a keyboard, hence why the storm and torches kind of sucked. the new os is made to be a touch oriented os i feel the keyboard quickness will be eliminated with gesture quickness. only time will tell but im patiently waiting. lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    iPhone 5s Will not be the changer to this, It will be coded into the OS which will make all Models they choose to accept the update if it is made available.
    in what are you replying to john? forgive me but it kind of didnt make sense to me.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Nilsz View Post
    I have to say that the phyisical QWERTY keyboard is soo awesome compared to the touchscreen, no problems in the rain etc.
    yes the keyboard is nice for that reason and also the really cold elements. i work outdoors and when its cold and im doing a telephone pole transfer after some dummy hit a pole i cannot use my work issued iphone with cold fingers. i have to use the stylus they provided us.

on the other side of the coin sometimes the 9900 that i own in direct sunlight doesnt want to accept touch screen commands.

you just have to take the good with the bad. i overcome the weaknesses of both devices and utilize the advantages of both. some thing on some platforms need work arounds. no device is perfect.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,702 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

I feel you haven't had a bb in a long time. When bis is down you can still call and text. I also have opera browser that bypasses bid and uses the carrier data.
    I dumped BB when the iPhone4s came out last October.

Also to critique one more thing. In an emergency and towers are overloaded you cannot make phone calls or text anybody but bis will bypass that and the noc allows for emergency BBm/email and web activity.
    After I was hit by a tornado, towers were down, but my BB still worked to do both calls and text. After the BIS outage, I had a paperweight. Calling is fine, but I have my work emails coming to my phone and I'm not always at my desk.

Just recently, another tornado hit nearby and took out multiple towers in my area. iPhone worked fine. No problems with data, email, texts, calls, IMs, iMessages or Internet.

Try to do a bit more research before you bash rim.
    See above.

As for bb10 nobody can say right now if it will save or kill them. It's not out to anybody but developers. Word on the web is they are getting good reviews but that's from rim and. It regular tech bloggers. I have only read a few stories from regular tech bloggers non affiliated with rim and they seemed pretty positive.

That's like me saying ios7 is going to tank apples Credibility. I've never used it and I'm making an assumption.

Sent using Tapatalk
    If RIM does not have the app library that iOS or Android has, it will tank.

Rovio as well as Zynga have repeatedly said there is no demand for any of the Angry Birds or (Insert name here) With Friends games to come to BBOS. Same thing with apps like Instagram.

iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,702 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Quote Originally Posted by jefftam68 View Post
    I hated the BB keyboard. Even with small hands, I still couldn't hit those keys.

I have Siri dial my numbers. No need for speed dial.
    As for 2 - there are jailbreaks that allow you to open this app with a shake of the phone or that app with another gesture. Not everyone wants to JB, but the option is there if you want it. All the apps I use daily are on my homescreen or set up with SBSettings to open with a gesture.

You can set up the iPhone to do the same thing. I type IDK and it spells out "I don't know." Another one I use is NAMD and it spells out "Not at my desk."

iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Both phones have good and bad things. One is not better than the other, it all comes down to personal preference. I've owned a Curve 9300, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 and currently an iPhone 4. They are all great smartphones, and I can see myself upgrading to a BlackBerry L series phone come January because I believe it will bring together my favourite features from both BlackBerry and iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If RIM does not have the app library that iOS or Android has, it will tank.

Rovio as well as Zynga have repeatedly said there is no demand for any of the Angry Birds or (Insert name here) With Friends games to come to BBOS. Same thing with apps like Instagram.
    It is not going to be an overnight success. On launch there is no way near as many apps that are going to be available for bbos as there are for android or iOS.

My original statement about fact checking. I have angry birds seasons,hd and space on my playbook. So whatever they said take it with a very large grain of salt. On the instagram front. Facebook owns them and at the Devcon in CA this year they announced and showed off Facebook for the bb10 software system. There is no reasonable thought as to why they would bring fb but not instagram.

Not trying to call you out rather just trying to get your statements on the right track.

Sent using Tapatalk
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,702 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

I
    Not trying to call you out rather just trying to get your statements on the right track.

Sent using Tapatalk
    They are but they're just not the same as yours.

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

They are but they're just not the same as yours.
    you said and i quote "Rovio as well as Zynga have repeatedly said there is no demand for any of the Angry Birds or (Insert name here) With Friends games to come to BBOS." as i said i have angry birds on my playbook from the blackberry app store.

so again not bashing but getting your facts straight. last i checked the playbook is bbos
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,702 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

you said and i quote "Rovio as well as Zynga have repeatedly said there is no demand for any of the Angry Birds or (Insert name here) With Friends games to come to BBOS." as i said i have angry birds on my playbook from the blackberry app store.

so again not bashing but getting your facts straight. last i checked the playbook is bbos
    Good for you but I wasn't talking about the PB which is a flop in its own category.

I was talking about the BB and Rovio and Zynga making a BBX app. Big difference.

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

yes the keyboard is nice for that reason and also the really cold elements. i work outdoors and when its cold and im doing a telephone pole transfer after some dummy hit a pole i cannot use my work issued iphone with cold fingers. i have to use the stylus they provided us.

on the other side of the coin sometimes the 9900 that i own in direct sunlight doesnt want to accept touch screen commands.

you just have to take the good with the bad. i overcome the weaknesses of both devices and utilize the advantages of both. some thing on some platforms need work arounds. no device is perfect.
    Try the touchscreen gloves they are pretty good 😄
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast