Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Question webOS to iOS?

With the big news yesterday of HP dumping the current webOS hardware line up do we have any webOS users jumping ship to iOS?

If you are one of these converts, welcome aboard.
    bainx7 likes this.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I still think Apple should buy webOS. not sure what they would do with it though.
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by itsalexaye View Post
    I still think Apple should buy webOS. not sure what they would do with it though.
    I'm sure Apple is loving how this has all played out.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sikora View Post
    I'm sure Apple is loving how this has all played out.
    Yea I'm sure Scott Forstall is sitting there laughing so hard... But I am kinda sad that webOS is falling apart it means less competition for Apple.
    Twitter
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Angry

I was looking forward to upgrading from an original Pre to a Pre3, but after seeing the way the TouchPad and Veer launches went, I decided it was already time to move on to something else. I'm tired of Palm's broken promises (Flash support for original Pre), and HP's new broken promises (document editing for the TouchPad, products shipping in weeks not months). Even HP's "making things right" to previous Pre owners was a slap in the face. They gave a $50 coupon on a TP, only to have the price lowered by $100 or more when the coupon expired.

I really hope the iPhone 5 comes to Sprint which would make the transition very easy for me, but all I can do now is wait. Already used to waiting from Palm and HP though.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by speedskate View Post
    I was looking forward to upgrading from an original Pre to a Pre3, but after seeing the way the TouchPad and Veer launches went, I decided it was already time to move on to something else. I'm tired of Palm's broken promises (Flash support for original Pre), and HP's new broken promises (document editing for the TouchPad, products shipping in weeks not months). Even HP's "making things right" to previous Pre owners was a slap in the face. They gave a $50 coupon on a TP, only to have the price lowered by $100 or more when the coupon expired.

I really hope the iPhone 5 comes to Sprint which would make the transition very easy for me, but all I can do now is wait. Already used to waiting from Palm and HP though.
    Hopefully we will be able to say "Welcome to iPhone and iOS"
    Twitter
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,427 Global Posts

I wouldn't be surprised when all is said and done if Apple doesn't see a large increase in the number of sales from the people who are switching over from webOS.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I guess I got out just in time. I pickup a Verizon iPhone 4 just last week and haven't powered up my Palm Pre+ since. And for the record, I'm very happy with my purchase. Of course the app catelog is better but more that that the experience of iOS just feels more... complete. There are many things I wish iOS/Apple would "steal" from webOS, specifically the gestures that made one handed operation so incredibly easy, a little more openness would be nice but I realize that's not the Apple way (it took about 3 hours before I felt the NEED to jailbreak). Maybe Apple can capitalize on this move by HP: patent #7555727: Integrated Handheld Computing and Telephony System and Services.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by speedskate View Post

You won't be disappointed if you switch to iOS. I had an original Pre, and the only thing I miss is Synergy. There are ways around it (the sync feature in the Facebook App, for instance), but nothing quite like the full Synergy experience.

You won't regret it.
     Verizon iPhone 6 Space Grey (64GB)  iPad (32GB Black WiFi 3rd gen)  13" MacBook Pro Retina  3rd gen TV
    iPhone Nanite

Default Recent widower...

I am a recent widower as my previous o/s committed tragically suicide in a very public manner... (oh the promises made and broken).

I am still recovering from my loss, but I know life moves on and I need to get back in the saddle... so I am playing the field... ios is really attractive, but android is out there too, not as attractive, but popular.

I was so faithful, my eyes never strayed to look at other os's... not sure how the os compare, what needs are filled and which ones aren't...

However, looking at the sister site of AndroidCentral forum, they have an nice 'Homebrewer's Guide to Android' aiding in the transition from webos to android... does the tipb forum have a similar 'guide'?

I really don't like Android, but the way they provide recommendations based on webos terminology, I find extremely helpful and welcoming.

Any help or suggestions with comparing iso to webos are greatly appreciated!

in mourning...
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I fall under that accord. I got burned bad. Bought this TouchPad in my hands Wednesday. I really liked it. Thursday afternoon comes around... I was crushed. However , I've come to love tablets, and enjoy the 4:3 ratio.

Once I scrap up some more change, I plan to buy an iPad.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Firehazel View Post
    I fall under that accord. I got burned bad. Bought this TouchPad in my hands Wednesday. I really liked it. Thursday afternoon comes around... I was crushed. However , I've come to love tablets, and enjoy the 4:3 ratio.

Will you be returning the TouchPad?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bainx7 View Post
    I am a recent widower as my previous o/s committed tragically suicide in a very public manner... (oh the promises made and broken).

I am still recovering from my loss, but I know life moves on and I need to get back in the saddle... so I am playing the field... ios is really attractive, but android is out there too, not as attractive, but popular.

I was so faithful, my eyes never strayed to look at other os's... not sure how the os compare, what needs are filled and which ones aren't...

However, looking at the sister site of AndroidCentral forum, they have an nice 'Homebrewer's Guide to Android' aiding in the transition from webos to android... does the tipb forum have a similar 'guide'?

I really don't like Android, but the way they provide recommendations based on webos terminology, I find extremely helpful and welcoming.

in mourning...
    I am not sure if there is, but I'd be willing to write one. However, at this point, I would wait for iOS 5 since it is about 6 weeks away.
     Verizon iPhone 6 Space Grey (64GB)  iPad (32GB Black WiFi 3rd gen)  13" MacBook Pro Retina  3rd gen TV
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sikora View Post
    Will you be returning the TouchPad?
    I bought it from my school, so I can't. :\
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,427 Global Posts

If you plan on returning the TP that you just got on Wed., you should be able to have enough money to buy an iPad.

Edit: ignore this, as you and I were posting at the same time. I just read that you got your TP from school.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 08-19-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by starbird View Post
    I am not sure if there is, but I'd be willing to write one. However, at this point, I would wait for iOS 5 since it is about 6 weeks away.
    Thanks! That would be awesome, especially for the other widowers out there!
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

I was an original Pre- launch day consumer (have used Palm devices forEVER). Saw the writing on the wall with HP purchase and jumped ship to the iPhone an iPad (Verizon) about 6 weeks ago. Really enjoy both the iPhone an iPad mainly because they just work. Don't need to homebrew/patch to get what I like out of the devices. Really looking forward to iOS5. Now if WebOS could become the OS on the iPhone my dreams would be answered..........
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bainx7 View Post

in mourning...
    iOS is much, much smoother than both webOS and Android. I had a Palm Pre, then switched to the Evo, but also have the iPad 2. Sprint gets the iPhone, I'm gone, I'll go fill iOS. Yes, there are differences, but IMO, the ui on iOS is much better than both of the others.

---
    - Mistress of Mischief
    Thanked by:
    bainx7 (08-19-2011)
    bainx7 likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Another webOS user here. It kind of saddens me to have to write this. I feel like i'm cheating on my girlfriend.

I have the Pre Plus, at the moment (verizon). Eligible for an upgrade, but no rush to switch over just yet. Still, my phone is feeling a little long in the tooth. What it used to do so easily it drags and drags. I was considering the Pre 3 when it was announced back in February, but today, following yesterday's announcement by HP i'm 98% switching to the next iPhone. If I can get a cheap Pre3 (can you say free, like my Pre plus was?) then I may just get it so I can have a new webOS device, but unfortunately i'm really considering jumping shift. Very conflicted at the moment. Same old story, I love webOS, BUT [insert one of dozens of valid reasons].

So while i'm here, why should I go with iOS over Android? I've not spent a ton of time with either. Friends have both and i've never been too impressed with how they operate. Yes they're shiny and have a lot of strong apps, but they don't seem very compelling and never seem to flow all that well. Not like webOS...or not like I dreamed it could. Basically, I just want something that works. It seems like the iPhone does. Fast, beautiful, $$$ that actually goes into r&d, a strong ecosystem. Android, similar I guess. I may be leaning towards Apple, b/c i'm guessing it would have some interesting communication advantages with my iMac, or am I wrong about that.

Ok, this post became alot longer than I anticipated. Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. See you around.
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

Glad i made the switch a few weeks before this bomb shell hit. Sad news, i was really hoping to go back to webOS someday.

Quote Originally Posted by wafflehaus View Post
    So while i'm here, why should I go with iOS over Android?.
    Usability Vs Functionality
    Of course jailbreaking somewhat evens the playing field and is what drove me to IOS. Its more polished, much easier to use, much easier to tinker with (Cydia)

Read this article, should help your decision a little bit
    Last edited by Bias X; 08-19-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Theatre Booth Guy (08-20-2011), wafflehaus (08-19-2011)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

<sigh> very sad, had high hopes for my touchpad. LOVE webOS , but alas, HP screwed me. So now - a bit sadly - I am considering an iPAD. Clearly a very cool device, dont get me wrong, but as a buinses user I fear it will not integrate with my exchange server in the way I need. I am excited about teh fact that Evernote is already there waiting for me, but if I cannot have seemless integration with my calendar, and email and tasks, it will probably not be worth it for me and I will be back to pad an pen I was sooo enjoying my touchpad to, but must know there is a future.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I bought it from my school, so I can't. :\
    Ouch, that is no good.
    iPhone Nanite

Sprint Pre- user. I had pretty much decided to jump to iOS after the iOS5 announcement - better notifications and (hopefully) better multitasking. Yesterday's news sealed the deal. Now hopefully my dying Pre will hold up on life support until early October. A Sprint Pre would be icing on the cake.

It would be nice if Apple would find a way to integrate WebOS notifications and, possibly, gestures. The loss of those features is what I expect to miss most.

Is this the best site for iOS news? Any other suggestions for someone who has no interest in other Apple products?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,427 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iosindc View Post
    Is this the best site for iOS news? Any other suggestions for someone who has no interest in other Apple products?
    I don't know about other sites, but I come here for the latest iOS related news: TiPb: The #1 iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch blog
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Have had a Pre from the start, but slowly lost faith in Palm and HP. Bought an iPod Touch and fell in love with it. A few weeks ago I bought the iPad 2....now I'm just waiting and hoping the iPhone launches on Sprint!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast