Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Default Android destroying the smartphone market?

I mean, look at that newest shiny android, what does it have?
    Dual-core, gb ram, 4",
    What does that shiny new iPhone have?
    Single core, 1/2 gb ram, 3.5",
    Which one works better?
    iPhone
    Which one would you rather have?
    iPhone
    What conclusion can be drawn?
    iPhone is better
    But it's half the hardware the android is!
    Hardware being the key word.

I think androids are destroying the smartphone market cause the os is half-arsed buggy, slow, unstable, purely c**p.
    But with superior hardware that gives nerdgasms all over the world, what can manufacturers do but try and match it?
    I played Infinity Blade, smooth beautiful not a single problem.
    It's as complicated as gaming will get, cause controls can simply be too uncomfortable on the touchscreen, so that's as good as they'll get, then why the extra hardware for the iPhone 5? Why not improve the current hardware? i3 is better than a Core 2 Duo even if it's lower clocked, because it's better quality, so why don't manufacturers just improve existing hardware, make it take up less space, but keep the phones the same size as this is comfortable enough, and just use the extra for more battery?
    I sleep around 7-8 hrs a day, and have about 16 hours of iPhone use, the average for a person, but I like to use it all the time, so I'd rather have hardware that works, and works all day than something that dies in 3hrs play.
    If everyone could focus on doing that then smartphones would become better.
    You don't need extra CPU, were surviving just fine, and games aren't gonna get more extensive, and you won't be rendering videos on your phone, so why the hardware?
    I'm just saying, if google didn't start the android mess we'd have better quality 800mhz iPhones that actually get through the day doing what they do best, be the perfect toy.

Tell me what you think on this?
    Any opinions?
    Trolls?
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Competition is a good thing for consumers. And While my iPhone 4 is my usual daily driver there are some great devices running Android out there. (Yes I also own a Nexus S - great phone with pure Android)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sikora View Post
    Competition is a good thing for consumers. And While my iPhone 4 is my usual daily driver there are some great devices running Android out there. (Yes I also own a Nexus S - great phone with pure Android)
    I had a choice between a Nexus S or iPhone, honestly, the android would be more comfortable as I run ubuntu, but I don't like it cause it's very plastic(Samsung). And I know competition is good for consumers but, I'd honestly rather have less choice between phones that can get me through the day than a few hundred that can hardly make it past 11am(I heavily rely on multimedia)
    The longest it ever survived was till 3pm, I was listening to music and a few hours web.
    I'd rather see manufacturers now stop this race to make the brutest phone and actually make one good phone that works.
    Because of market competition, the iPhone 4 was hurried and came out with the antenna issues.
    I understand your point, but understand mine, these, "brutes" are causing smartphones to take a leap into space-spec, cause face it, did you ever use your iPhone and go," dammit it's so slow!"(jailbroken doesn't count, your effn it up there)
    But imagine if it's a bit faster, but lasts a lot longer, then you can keep saying "dam it's fast" for longer.
    iPhone Intermediate

*smh* one in every crowd...
    It can't rain all the time!
    VZW iPhone 4 | DX | XOOM
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heather_S View Post
    *smh* one in every crowd...
    smh? Explain?
    iPhone Newbie

I have an android phone and always needed to kill tasks. very trouble
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by zaersx View Post
    I mean, look at that newest shiny android, what does it have?
    Dual-core, gb ram, 4",
    What does that shiny new iPhone have?
    Single core, 1/2 gb ram, 3.5",
    Which one works better?
    iPhone
    Which one would you rather have?
    iPhone
    What conclusion can be drawn?
    iPhone is better
    But it's half the hardware the android is!
    Hardware being the key word.

I think androids are destroying the smartphone market cause the os is half-arsed buggy, slow, unstable, purely c**p.
    But with superior hardware that gives nerdgasms all over the world, what can manufacturers do but try and match it?
    I played Infinity Blade, smooth beautiful not a single problem.
    It's as complicated as gaming will get, cause controls can simply be too uncomfortable on the touchscreen, so that's as good as they'll get, then why the extra hardware for the iPhone 5? Why not improve the current hardware? i3 is better than a Core 2 Duo even if it's lower clocked, because it's better quality, so why don't manufacturers just improve existing hardware, make it take up less space, but keep the phones the same size as this is comfortable enough, and just use the extra for more battery?
    I sleep around 7-8 hrs a day, and have about 16 hours of iPhone use, the average for a person, but I like to use it all the time, so I'd rather have hardware that works, and works all day than something that dies in 3hrs play.
    If everyone could focus on doing that then smartphones would become better.
    You don't need extra CPU, were surviving just fine, and games aren't gonna get more extensive, and you won't be rendering videos on your phone, so why the hardware?
    I'm just saying, if google didn't start the android mess we'd have better quality 800mhz iPhones that actually get through the day doing what they do best, be the perfect toy.

Tell me what you think on this?
    Any opinions?
    Trolls?
    If you're not just trolling....

I have a well-regarded Android phone and iPhone. It looks like I'm sticking with the iPhone for a business app that helps my business and I do like some iPhone features. That said, I can only be thankful for the Android market and success because there are aspects of the iPhone environment that are just pathetic by comparison and the competition is the best bet for Apple making it better.

In the meanwhile Apple's head start on apps has developers working hard on Android too.

There does not appear to be the willingness to sell and share patents among the major phone makers like there is and can be in business.

-I do not have to wrap my Droid X in rubber or plastic for the reception to keep working well.
    -I can get more out of a battery charge with the Droid X and just put another in it quickly for not much money at all.
    -The integration of voice to text, calendar and navigation my Droid X has makes my iPhone look like the tele version of my 1930 Ford car and giving other parties $50 or more still doesn't get it in the league. Then we have the lame iPhone navigation working in the screen that's dinky by comparison.
    -Speed dial where the Apple Favorites is not as good.
    -Android app delivery and disclosure seems like generations ahead of Apple - push delivery, per app privacy disclosure, able to shop and compare in tabbed browser instead of the iTunes interface that would only be impressive if this were 1989 or 1995.

Of course there are some Apple advantages too such as very snappy screen and tight integration of media.

Competition is good and I sure hope the Android competition is a wake up call for Apple because there's much more to communication and systems than sexy looking hardware and Apple Store employees who need a lesson in personal hygiene and politeness. My only tolerance for the Apple Store is the good fortune that I have business reps and can usually be spared the loud zoo.

Thus, I'm an iPhone/Pad user who is very thankful that we have the competition but still wish both Apple and Google had device management in same league RIM has.

8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

I have a well-regarded Android phone and iPhone. It looks like I'm sticking with the iPhone for a business app that helps my business and I do like some iPhone features. That said, I can only be thankful for the Android market and success because there are aspects of the iPhone environment that are just pathetic by comparison and the competition is the best bet for Apple making it better.

In the meanwhile Apple's head start on apps has developers working hard on Android too.

There does not appear to be the willingness to sell and share patents among the major phone makers like there is and can be in business.

-I do not have to wrap my Droid X in rubber or plastic for the reception to keep working well.
    -I can get more out of a battery charge with the Droid X and just put another in it quickly for not much money at all.
    -The integration of voice to text, calendar and navigation my Droid X has makes my iPhone look like the tele version of my 1930 Ford car and giving other parties $50 or more still doesn't get it in the league. Then we have the lame iPhone navigation working in the screen that's dinky by comparison.
    -Android app delivery and disclosure seems like generations ahead of Apple - push delivery, per app privacy disclosure, able to shop and compare in tabbed browser instead of the iTunes interface that would only be impressive if this were 1989 or 1995.

Of course there are some Apple advantages too such as very snappy screen and tight integration of media.

Competition is good and I sure hope the Android competition is a wake up call for Apple because there's much more to communication and systems than sexy looking hardware and Apple Store employees who need a lesson in personal hygiene and politeness. My only tolerance for the Apple Store is the good fortune that I have business reps and can usually be spared the loud zoo.

Thus, I'm an iPhone/Pad user who is very thankful that we have the competition but still wish both Apple and Google had device management in same league RIM has.

Ok, now look hard at your post and look at all the pros/cons of android vs iPhone.
    Most of the issues are related to what? Hardware, what was I saying about android destroying the smartphone market? Super hardware that is needed to support the un-integrated, buggy os.
    Now if android hasn't started, there wouldn't be rise in dual core phones, and apple could spend more time perfecting iPhone hardware.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

And yes I agree with the last part, my first smartphone was a bb storm, the best phone ever, even beats the iPhone, but software is the only thing lacking.
    Imagine blackberry monaco with retina display, 9.1mm, and running proper iOS. Now THAT'S the best phone ever.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    iOS Version

To the OP, I think the issue boils down to experience. Apple's latest iPad 2 commercial about "This is what we are" really nailed their culture. Steve Jobs talked about how Microsoft had no taste, because they did not incorporate culture into their products. This is what they were talking about. Hardware definitely gets the geeks excited (and I'm one of them), but in reality the hardware is only part of the story.

It is the marriage of hardware and (to Apple, more importantly) software, that = experience. There's much compelling about competing mobile OSs out there, but Apple is the best at tight integration of hardware and software to give the user the ultimate experience that seems second nature.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    To the OP, I think the issue boils down to experience. Apple's latest iPad 2 commercial about "This is what we are" really nailed their culture. Steve Jobs talked about how Microsoft had no taste, because they did not incorporate culture into their products. This is what they were talking about. Hardware definitely gets the geeks excited (and I'm one of them), but in reality the hardware is only part of the story.

It is the marriage of hardware and (to Apple, more importantly) software, that = experience. There's much compelling about competing mobile OSs out there, but Apple is the best at tight integration of hardware and software to give the user the ultimate experience that seems second nature.
    Thank you.
    iPhone Intermediate

Ok, now look hard at your post and look at all the pros/cons of android vs iPhone.
    Most of the issues are related to what? Hardware, what was I saying about android destroying the smartphone market? Super hardware that is needed to support the un-integrated, buggy os.
    Now if android hasn't started, there wouldn't be rise in dual core phones, and apple could spend more time perfecting iPhone hardware.
    There isn't anything buggy or "un-integrated" whatever that means with my Droid X. By some measures it's more integrated than my iPhone. I didn't have to spend one cent after I bought it to do some things my iPhone doesn't even do.

It's (my Motorola) a great product in many ways. I've switched to an iPhone because of one business app and I miss some super features.

Competition is good. Apple could buy hammers for $1, trademark them as iSlams and stooges would be lining up while others would have wet spots in their pants, many don't even know the capabilities of other products. Android's market share has and will continue to influence Apple and others.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

There isn't anything buggy or "un-integrated" whatever that means with my Droid X. By some measures it's more integrated than my iPhone. I didn't have to spend one cent after I bought it to do some things my iPhone doesn't even do.

It's (my Motorola) a great product in many ways. I've switched to an iPhone because of one business app and I miss some super features.

Competition is good. Apple could buy hammers for $1, trademark them as iSlams and stooges would be lining up while others would have wet spots in their pants, many don't even know the capabilities of other products. Android's market share has and will continue to influence Apple and others.
    That's my point, this is a bad thing.
    iPhone Intermediate

It's just two different approaches. The biggest advantage of Android is the hardware. Apple creates one phone, release one per year. So this time around September, Apple will have a competitive iPhone. Android has a new phone out every few months. And they range from the cheap budget phones to the high end phones. And each company can do something different. One may think 3D screens and cameras are a good idea. Another may think a 4.3" screen is a good idea. One may think a military spec phone that can handle being dropped 3 stories is a good idea. So as a result, people have choice. Where as Apple is limited to one product.

Android OS has more features and choices, but the OS lacks the smoothness, can contain bloatware, if a skin is on, can delay upgrades, and apps are still lacking, it also is free of being locked into iTunes, but you are just as locked into your google account. The google apps blow away anything Apple has on the iPHone.

Apple has less features in the OS, but no bloatware, is silky smooth, and the upgrades are released on time, it's not like the AT&T iPhones get 4.3 while Verizon has to wait >6mths until they get the upgrade. The apps are far better as well. You get iTunes integration (if you like it).

I believe Android will win out. It will be a repeat of the PCs- Android is the new Microsoft, and Apple will be Apple. However, it will be interesting to see what will happen to Apple when Steve Jobs passes away. It's a horrible thing to think about, but he's sick, he's not going to last forever. The Google founders and Andy Rubin are still young and healthy.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts

While I have nothing to say about iphone vs android, I will say I am amazed that the op continues to say the iphone would be better today if android were never created. Competition drives innovation, period.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

IMHO, Android is making it better. Without any competition there would be no need for Apple to improve things. I love my iPhone 4, however, there is always room for improvements, which is why I think competition from Android is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    IMHO, Android is making it better. Without any competition there would be no need for Apple to improve things. I love my iPhone 4, however, there is always room for improvements, which is why I think competition from Android is a good thing.

Actually, I came around a great post today, that, as also rumored before, BB7 will allow running Android apps on BB, android apps aren't perfect, but look at all you not complaining.
    So I'll go with my heart an back to blackberry touch(I just love blackberry, sorry if I offend any negroes but, once you black, you never go back) whoop whoop so, don't really care now, I'll just play apps non stop so I get bored of them quicker. But of course this might change depending on that status as the playbook was supposed to do that, ah well.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Actually, I came around a great post today, that, as also rumored before, BB7 will allow running Android apps on BB, android apps aren't perfect, but look at all you not complaining.
    So I'll go with my heart an back to blackberry touch(I just love blackberry, sorry if I offend any negroes but, once you black, you never go back) whoop whoop so, don't really care now, I'll just play apps non stop so I get bored of them quicker. But of course this might change depending on that status as the playbook was supposed to do that, ah well.
    I still have my old Blackberry Bold unlocked and use it on occasion. I did try one of the newer BB out at the AT&T store, however, even with the improved browser, I still didn't find it to be as good as mobile Safari. I also played with the PlayBook as well, which I thought RIM did a really nice job with. Although I don't think it will sell as well as the iPad 2.

iPhone Newbie

Google's Android Market now offers more free apps for download (134342 apps), than Apple's App Store for iPhone (121845 apps).
    By Email Protalinski, TechSpot.com
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I still have my old Blackberry Bold unlocked and use it on occasion. I did try one of the newer BB out at the AT&T store, however, even with the improved browser, I still didn't find it to be as good as mobile Safari. I also played with the PlayBook as well, which I thought RIM did a really nice job with. Although I don't think it will sell as well as the iPad 2.

That's why I'm waiting for the blackberry touch(monza(gsm)). It'll be dual core with more ram, and actually, not to go against anyone, you know techno buffalos blackberry torch vs iPhone 4? iPhone 4 won by a bit, why? He said that the blackberry was struggling with it's 600mhz of processing power, now 1.2Ghz should solve this problem.
    (compare iPhone 3G vs Torch(600vs600?)) and see whose better.
    Honestly, RIM's BlackBerry OS is already perfect, just the lack of apps is what's kicking it in the groin.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

I've had the BB storm1, a htc Dinc droid, moto droid x, iPhone 3GS and now the iPhone 4.

The issue with the BB storm was 50% hardware and 50% software.
    The issue with both of the droids was mainly software and verizons bloatware.
    The issue with the 3GS for me was att's crappy network and dropped calls, no hardware or software issues.
    The issue with the iPhone 4 on verizon NONE!

Apple does it right. They design the hardware and the software and they work flawlessly together. Yes it's a closed system. Yes they only have one phone, but it works and does everything it's supposed to do.

The problem with android is making the hardware and software work together. Too many manufactures making too many phones and if a update to android is released, they aren't sure if it will work on your phone. Every month a new android phone comes out, claiming to be the iPhone killer and it's not!

Competition is good. Android is only good for making the iPhone better.

Will the iPhone be obsolete one day, yes, but it won't be at the hands of android.

It will either be outdone by a in-house hardware/software tech company or be totally replaced by the next big apple invention.

You never know what the future holds, but it sure is fun to watch.
    8 BB 9530>iPhone 3GS>5 Dinc>Droid x>VZW iPhone 4>EVO 4g>E4GT>Galaxy Nexus>iPhone 4s>iPhone 5

I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER ANDROID PHONE!
    iMore Intermediate

Hey every one. ANDROID is an operating system not a phone. Any Tom Harry **** can make a phone and put android on it, that is why you have crappy phones and good phones running Android. Apple builds one phone one OS.
    Steve Jobs created iCloud so he would have somewhere to go when he died and still be with Apple.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by slalomskie View Post
    Hey every one. ANDROID is an operating system not a phone. Any Tom Harry **** can make a phone and put android on it, that is why you have crappy phones and good phones running Android. Apple builds one phone one OS.
    VERY true. While the open source app development on the Android platform is great in one way, they now have opened up another big problem. Getting all those apps to work with ALL the different devices using the Andriod OS's.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slalomskie View Post
    We know this smarta$$. But this characteristic only falls to phone running android. BlackBerry and apple make dam good hardware and os, but android has great hardware, and an os hardly optimized for it.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts

We know this smarta$$. But this characteristic only falls to phone running android. BlackBerry and apple make dam good hardware and os, but android has great hardware, and an os hardly optimized for it.
    Come on! Talk nice.

You are absolutely right, except for the thread title. Android phones are not destroying the the smartphone market. Competition is good for all parties. If anything they are speeding up development which in the end will be giving us better phones faster. The fact that they are stumbling over their own feet not managing to make the hardware and software play well together only plays in favor of Apple and RIM. Believe it or not, many people actually does look beyond specs, otherwise nobody would have bought iPhones and BlackBerries the last few years.

Of course it has caused rushed phones from both Apple and RIM, but not by far as rushed and unfinished phones as seen by Sony Ericsson (X10) and lately the LG Optimus 2X, which cannot even upgrade to 2.3 yet and anytime soon.

At least it seems that Apple did the right thing delaying the white iP4 making sure it was good enough before it hit the market and at the same time acquiring crucial knowhow on the colors influence on material design. Knowhow they can use on on future models.

Again I'm only encouraged to see some of those wild specs that comes with the small green men, it only makes me confident that Apple and RIM (and living in scandinavia I have to mention Nokia here as well) can and will have to create even better phones than they already have. So good things will Come of it.

Also bare in mind that some of the Android devices are actually quite good. Newer high spec phones like Arc, S II and Sensation are supposedly quite good phones. Their biggest obstacle is the messy state and reputation that Android market is in at the moment.

Android has just approached the market with a completely different philosophy, quantity over quality, and they have done well. But they have also given the tools and motivation to the established companies to fight back, and I am looking forward to that.
    Last edited by Mio_BB; 05-03-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast