Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default Question to all former crackberry addicts

Hi guys

I'm a current crackberry addict looking to break her addiction and defect to the verizon iphone 4. So far, in preparation of my iphone, I've been gathering info and am currently downloading apps in tunes to replicate my blackberry experience on the iphone but I need some help. So far I have downloaded the following:

1) Google Active Sync: replicates the push email I get currently on my berry and I get the bonus effect of having all my contacts and calender events stored

2) Boxcar: does a good enought job when it comes to notification but I'm definetly going to miss my LED especially since I have it customized to different colors based on what type of alert I receive (via BerryBuzz). At least I can get different sounds

3) TomTom GPS: wow this is definetly an upgrade from my "mapquest 4 mobile" app lmao

4) Itunes: effectively replaces my podtrapper app and gets rid of the need for WMP. Itunes 10 is amazing and one of the things I love about the iphone is the fact that its the best music and video player when it comes to smartphones

5) Now here comes the hard part. I LOVE BBM, that's actually the crack in my crackberry (and maybe the LED). I'm stuck between using BeejiveIM or LiveProfile Messenger. The main feature that I love about BBM is that I can integrate my SMS list into my BBM list so I have all my messaging contacts in one place wether they have BBM or I'm just texting them. Can anyone please tell me if either BeejiveIM or LiveProfile Messenger include the ability to add phone contacts to your buddy list. That alone will seal it for me

PS. Forgot to mention that the iphone 4 is basically going to replace my DS and PSP. Add that to the fact that I have my netflix on the go and I'm in love :-). I want to kill all emotions and attachments to my berry
    iPhone Newbie

Love:

I just came over to AT&T with the iPhone 3GS from my old Nextel BlackBerry 8350i. I'm so glad I did! There were things I loved about BlackBerry too, but iPhone has way more to offer, especially the data related stuff. The push email works great too. The OS on BB was so far behind the iPhone.
    It sounds like you've done your homework before you decided to switch but I'm sorry I can't speak for the messenger programs you referred to. I can say that regular texting on the iPhone is outstanding and actually reminds me of BB messenger.
    I would try it out because that's the only way to really know what the iPhone is all about and you can always switch back if you aren't happy. Good luck & hope to see you on our forums soon.

chesterhound

P.S.
    I kinda miss the old LED too!LOL!
    iPhone 3GS 8GB
    iPad 1 WiFi + 3G 32GB
    MacBook Pro
    Thanked by:
    Former iPhone User (02-20-2011)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

There are about a half dozen threads in the apps forum from former crackberry addicts looking to replace BBM. Most agree that the best replacement is WhatsApp, which can now be installed on iPhones, BB, and Android phones.
    Thanked by:
    Former iPhone User (02-20-2011)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

ok seems like i have more digging to do. never heard of whatsapp but all my friends are telling me that LiveProfile Messenger is the closet thing to BBM they have ever seen. going to go browse the app forums. BTW im running os6 on my 9700 currently and that is lightyears better than os4 on the 8530. thanks anyways
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My friends and I use and really like IM+ for instant messaging. It integrates Facebook and Twitter if you want to set it up that way. And in my opinion it's as good as BBM for a instant messaging client.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    Banned

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pilsbury View Post
    My friends and I use and really like IM+ for instant messaging. It integrates Facebook and Twitter if you want to set it up that way. And in my opinion it's as good as BBM for a instant messaging client.
    Not even close. BBM is THE one thing i miss about BB's
    The "sent" "received" and "read" are all options it does not have.

The closest Ive found i like is Google Talk.
    It tells you when someone is typing a reply.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I used BBM for 5+ years, on about 20 different RIM devices. And to me, IM+ does the job. Your experience with it may vary. That's why I said-IN MY OPINION.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    Banned

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

yes you did. So.
    I was making a working comparison between the two. And anyone looking for a TRUE BBM experience will be sadly disappointed. And then said what was MY OPINION as a quasi replacement!

So don't get all **** hurt!
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

So far I like Whatsapp the most because of the SMS integration closely followed LiveProfile messenger. I installed both onto my friend iphone 4 and LPM had the bset presentation of the two. I like whatsapp because of the group chat and file sharing capabilities, similiar to BBM. I visited to LPM website and the plan on updating and basically copying every feature BBM has including SMS intergration and missing feature like social site (Facebook chat) integration, making it a universal buddy list no matter how u talk. But until then whatsapp is going to more than satisfy me. Thanks guys and gals. I can now say I'm cured of my blackberry addiction lol.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by damule6666 View Post
    yes you did. So.
    I was making a working comparison between the two. And anyone looking for a TRUE BBM experience will be sadly disappointed. And then said what was MY OPINION as a quasi replacement!

So don't get all **** hurt!
    LOL. Im not, most of this stuff said on forums is opinion anyway. I understand where you're coming from, just giving my .02.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    Banned

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pilsbury View Post
    LOL. Im not, most of this stuff said on forums is opinion anyway. I understand where you're coming from, just giving my .02.
    True enough..lol
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    402 Global Posts

Liveprofile is looking very good. They just need to hurry up and come out with their blackberry version so I can start convincing my friends to sign up.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

I tried using LiveProfile but everytime i exited the conversation i lost it all. Whats app all the way for me...well until BBM is released on the iPhone

As i was writing this my whats app f*cked up on me! sods law! LOL!
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Just went to the darkside and jailbroke my iPhone and I LOVE IT. Never coming back. My iPhone is sooooo much better now!!!!
    r0k
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

I went from a BB8830 to iPhone 4 in September. I never looked back. I never got around to using BBM. Very few of my friends had BB phones and the few that did weren't tech savvy enough to know what their PIN was.

There are a handful of things I do miss. I liked the flexible email configuration on BB better than iOS. For instance, if I have half a dozen accounts forwarded to a single account I check with my iPhone, if I reply using Apple's mail program the recipient gets the email address I'm using to check my email, not the address they had for me. This causes confusion and gives out my private email to people I don't want to have it. For this reason I use the gmail app quite often when replying to email. Another thing I miss is the multicolor LED. It was nice to be able to glance at the device and know if there were messages waiting, if it was bluetooth paired, etc. These are minor things I can do without or work around and they pale by comparison to the rich selection of apps I have on my iPhone 4. I must admit I've only logged in to CB forums once or twice since switching.
    -r0k

iPhone 4 (At&t), iPad, lots of other Apple gear, mobile me user.
    iPhone Newbie

Default blackberry

Sry blackberry is still cool but get a Iphone
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starwarrior View Post
    Sry blackberry is still cool but get a Iphone
    If someone asked me to recommend either an iPhone or blackberry I'd say the iPhone although there is something about the blackberry I can't find on my iPhone.
    Liveprofile PIN: LPOIGQ0U

Google+
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I came to ip4 from Bold 9700. I LOVE my iPhone but I still look longingly at the BB's. They just have a form factor that appeals to me. I honestly think they're both awesome phones. Who knows, I might even pay the platform a visit in the future. For now though, I'm an Apple fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Beginner

I too have switched to iPhone after many years of BB. Have owned several different BB's as well as set up many different kinds for family & friends! I don't care who says what, there is not a BB out there that matches the quality of an iPhone! I'm not hatin on BB either, I think they're decent devices just not up to this level! I also had my LED set up with BerryBuzz and had it customized. As nice as that was it didn't take me long to get over it! BBM is a very nice messenger but like one previous poster said the messaging in iOS is actually very nice. The messaging app I'm using now is LiveProfile. I actually really like it and I find it's the closest thing to BBM! I'm curious to see what it's like on BB because my entire family still have BB's and want to test it from iPhone to Berry! Currently one of my friends and I use it as he has an iPhone as well. The way things are with my iPhone experience now I can honestly say that even though I enjoyed my BB experience in the past, I don't ever see myself going back! These devices are just way more polished!!
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by oNly1pHone View Post
    I'm using now is LiveProfile. I actually really like it and I find it's the closest thing to BBM! I'm curious to see what it's like on BB
    Am I the only one who finds the IM market extremely fragmented? I never used BBM so I may be missing something here, but now I only use Meebo. Any time someone insists I load up 'yet another im' I just add it to Meebo.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    2,088 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Although I liked BBM, I don't exactly miss it. Most of my friends only text, they can't afford data lol
    Nokia Lumia 900, iPad 1 16GB WiFi
    Twitter
    iPhone Beginner

BBM is an excellent messenger and I definitely loved it when I had it & thought I would really miss it. After using the MMS and general messaging app on my iPhone I realize how good it is! Not saying it's better than BBM but to those BB users you're not losing a lot! Plus, I also use the new LiveProfile for messaging between Apple, Android & soon BlackBerry! It's also an excellent messenger for those BB users wanting to switch but are concerned about losing BBM! It's all good!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

KIK MESSANGER this works cross platform IOS BB and android and assuming you've imported you're contacts or have all your old contacts then it will scan your address book to see if they (your friends) have kik then send them a friend invitation if it finds a match so automatic friend finder included smiley and costs nothing cos it's over Internet did I mention it's free?(unlike whatsapp) sounds like a bbm killer if theres is one (and it's a matter of time) it's gonna be this one another a favour is ping! chat