Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Administrator

Global Posts
    3,700 Global Posts

Exclamation SPE Round Robin: CrackBerry Kevin on the iPhone 3GS

Hey All,

Week 4 of the Smartphone Round Robin has me back on frenemy #1, the iPhone. Though this year it's the iPhone 3GS.

I actually bought one the day it came out, but since then have only logged 24 hours of total use on it.... it mainly sits here with a dead battery. So, I need you all to tell me what's compelling about the iPhone 3GS and why I should maybe give it more time.

I tend to use my smartphone for communication first, other stuff second. Need to know what I can do (without jail breaking) to speed up that iPhone user experience... how do I make it a quick user experience for completing those everyday little communication tasks.

From there, what's everything I need to know from your perspective of the new iPhone. Would love if you guys could tell me:
    - what you love!
    - what you hate!
    - what you wish was different
    - what a BlackBerry user would love about switching to the iPhone
    - what a BlackBerry user wouldn't like about an iPhone
    - how many apps you have installed on your phone
    - how many of those installed apps do you actually use on a regular basis
    - how you use the device... what do you spend most of your time doing on your iPhone when you have it in your hand
    - what's your favorite app?

and anything else you think this BlackBerry addict would benefit in knowing.

All the best. Thanks for the help!

Kevin
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

They're very different devices.

A blackberry is a PIM device with some extras. The recent OS versions don't all do a great job of these extras and the carrier ability to hobble stuff is annoying. Don't get me started on mass moving photos to a memory card, it's not possible in 4.7.

The iPhone does about everything else better. It's not as good as a blackberry for the PIM stuff.

Both customize differently. Both have different preferences. I wish the iphone had the time-based rules a blackberry has (i.e. 10-7 don't ring and turn screen on, only vibrate unless it's from X) But I like the notification idea on the iphone.

No blackberry is as internationally friendly as an iphone. With my iPhone I could have both a Russian and English keyboard on a device with a French language interface and the date/time in Australian style.

For me, it's a convergence device. I lookup stuff online, check email, facebook, tom tom, phone calls, notes, documents, weather, credit card terminal, budgeting, movie info, read books, wikipedia, etc, etc, etc

sure, the blackberry can do most of what I need too but not all of them, and finding the solution for all of what I need is not near as easy.

The iphone models are basically the same thing. Take the Tour, Bold, Bold 9700, Storm 2 and Curve. Now find me one model that is the top in everything. They don't sell a Tour to everyone or a Bold to everyone.

I have 50-some apps. Some of them are for very specific uses. Some I need the app to keep the notifications I setup via the website most of the time. Others I use only in specific cases but having them is super nice. I don't have a favorite, just a list of useful ones.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Current Bold user, but wanting an iPhone

I have had a Bold since they came out. There are pro's and Con's as with any phone. Recently, my best friend has gotten a iPhone from his Curve and I have had the pleasure of being able to play with his iPhone. I like the memory, the response, the functions that it can do. I Love My Bold, but with OS updates from AT&T taking so long, I feel they are way behind. I'd really like to Win that iPhone Kevin. I'll always be a CrackBerry Addict!
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Default iphone 3gs

well I would luv to have a 3GS too as well as my good buddy bb bold onyx
    I would do comparisons all day long hehe and post them for you gouys!

iphone 3gs has of course tons of apps and more leg room for getting around but it lack in audio sound quality and signal is a bit weak, also battery as most people have mentioned.

iphone is a good device and a very nice platform for developers contrary to the media hype saying the troubles in getting listed on app store. It can't be that bad if you got 90,000 apps out there lol

as a rule don't believe the hype

the display is nice and clean the GUI is cool, but pictures tend to be pixelated and its not all that good in low light.

sms sorta sucks on iphone as does chatting email too slow, you need a 3rd party push - coming from BB its a do or die situation for me.

the accelerometer is pretty good and size of the device I found to be decieving actually in a good way its smaller than it looks , reasonably comfortable to use and pocket with out padding an dit fits in most cases

the movie editing is a great feature
    and well its a touch screen with a very nice feel

- Also I have done a A.B with docs to go for both platforms and well
    its a bit smoother on BB but very nice still

If 4.0 OS comes out with multi tasking and other email fixes it will be the
    device to beat for sure
    Last edited by realphood; 01-12-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts

Had a BB for about 10 years. Tried a number of family & friend's different I-Phones and always liked them because of the speedy UI and great web browser. The S2 is a close second in UI, and love the new themes. If Apple ever adds a flash and perfects SECURE push e-mail it will be THE ONLY device. Or alternatively, if RIM solves the browser issue (I believe its more related to their NOC servers than software) and allows applications to run off of the SD cards Apple will go bankrupt.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine View Post
    Had a BB for about 10 years. Tried a number of family & friend's different I-Phones and always liked them because of the speedy UI and great web browser. The S2 is a close second in UI, and love the new themes. If Apple ever adds a flash and perfects SECURE push e-mail it will be THE ONLY device. Or alternatively, if RIM solves the browser issue (I believe its more related to their NOC servers than software) and allows applications to run off of the SD cards Apple will go bankrupt.
    I've been issued a Storm2 for work and find the browser very annoying, but I'm surprised that iPhone owners would be all that impressed with the Storm UI...

So the big question is when will the iPhone land on VZW, and also (perhaps more importantly for this SPE roundrobin), why don't SPE account user ID's and log ins work across the variety of SPE message boards?
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
    I actually bought one the day it came out, but since then have only logged 24 hours of total use on it.... it mainly sits here with a dead battery. So, I need you all to tell me what's compelling about the iPhone 3GS and why I should maybe give it more time.
    Apps apps and more apps! This is what sets the iPhone apart from all other smartphones.

I tend to use my smartphone for communication first, other stuff second. Need to know what I can do (without jail breaking) to speed up that iPhone user experience... how do I make it a quick user experience for completing those everyday little communication tasks.
    I have all of the communication apps (mail, messages, beejive, etc.) on the home screen so I can quickly see the badges for notifications.

From there, what's everything I need to know from your perspective of the new iPhone. Would love if you guys could tell me:
    - what you love!
    - what you hate!
    - what you wish was different
    - what a BlackBerry user would love about switching to the iPhone
    - what a BlackBerry user wouldn't like about an iPhone
    - how many apps you have installed on your phone
    - how many of those installed apps do you actually use on a regular basis
    - how you use the device... what do you spend most of your time doing on your iPhone when you have it in your hand
    - what's your favorite app?
    • Love - Apps
    • Hate - AT&T
    • Different - Notification system
    • BB Love - Apps...can't beat them!
    • BB Hate - robust email app
    • Apps installed - 209 (apps on home PC - 472)
    • Apps used on regular basis - around 50 or so
    • Device usage - internet is the most used part of it, whether it is via an app or using Sarfari or the Mail app
    • Favorite App - Reeder

and anything else you think this BlackBerry addict would benefit in knowing.
    You'll never know just how useful the apps are until you try to live without them...
    http://twitter.com/jamesus

If I have helped you, don't forget to tip the scales!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

Another great week of Round Robin!
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Personally I am a crackberry user, but have always been torn between the two, I love the interface of an iPhone because it is so hands on, but I like how crackberries don't need to be jailbroken/hacked to get the full use out of it (I only say this because I'm a student and am not rich LOL). A huge plus is the ability to jailbreak the iPhone. What I find especially handy is how certain GPS apps, do not require a data plan (e.g. Tom Tom). Hoping to win the 3GS so I can have the best of both worlds =), keep up the good work kev (Y)
    iPhone Nanite

I'm a 21 year old male who has used many BBerry models, the pearl, the curve, an 8830 and a bold. I am currently using a Samsung Eternity and I hate this phone, I miss the ease of use on the Blackberrys and the touch screen on this Samsung is a joke, I'm only using this phone until I can upgrade in May. I would get an iPhone 3GS like my parents and boyfriend but with everyone talking about the next iPhone coming out sometime around summer I'm trying to hold off. I love everything about the iPhone, even though the battery kind of lacks I don't mind having a charger with me at all times and one in the car. The apps on iPhone can't be touched by Blackberry because of the constantly changing OS, and all the different screen sizes/revs.
    All phones come with their own sets of problems but it's what you are willing to deal with and what else the phone gives to make up for the problems it has.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I have a BB, love the UI on the iPhone though, PLUS that kick *** web browser!
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I'm a BB user because it's mandated by my employer and since they pay the bill....

That being said, I'd switch in a second if I could. I don't do many things other than communicate and browse the web and the iPhone has all that built in. Blackberry virtually requires a third party browser for even basic functionality to work.

On the other hand, the pain in switching would come in that there's no physical keyboard. I'm too lazy to browse through even two screens to make a routine phone call. I want to press and hold a button and have it dial and I don't want a bunch of extra icons on my home screen for this functionality...yah, I'm that lazy.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Talking Blackberry/Iphone

I've had a Blackberry for about three years now. The convenience & functionality of it can't be beat! I've been curious lately about the IPhone, but haven't seen anything impressive enough for me to switch. Maybe one day a free IPhone will land in my lap & I can see what all the hype is about.
    iPhone Nanite

Having had a blackberry for the better part of 5 years I'm hesitant to switch to an iphone. After seeing all it can do compared to a blackberry I think it's an absolutely brilliant device. The one thing I don't think I'd be able to live without is the physical keyboard and push notifications. Everything else about the iphone is pretty much perfect. I hate using the browser on my bold as it's slow and just dumb, for lack of a better word. I'd love to have the opportunity to switch to an iphone.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

I'm the lone BB user in a family of iPhone lovers. I love my BB but am constantly fighting the "shiny new toy" pull of the iPhone. Although the iPhone offers far more apps than are available for the BB, I hesitate to leave the reliability of push email, and the prospect of having a phone that I (1) cannot customize to the hilt (should I so desire) and/or (2) will have to jailbreak to do so scares me. Taking nothing away from my BB, I honestly think that the iPhone is a pretty neat device, and I would love the opportunity to get my hands on one to see how it holds up. If it came down to it, I think I could learn to live in both worlds.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Apps, apps, apps, galore

Maybe Blackberry and other smartphone companies will eventually catch up, but as far as now iPhoners have the frickin' huge app store. Don't get me wrong...us Blackberry-ites have some pickin's in Blackberry's app store, but it's easily dwarfed by the mall of apps for iUsers. However, when it comes down to it, I love everything on my Storm 2 over the iPhone, except the browser. Using Opera Mini 5, I usually avoid getting frustrated.
    iPhone Nanite

I am gonna have to disagree big time. I think on the basics on functionality, BB beat out the iPhone on everything except native browser, in which, yes, the iPhone's browser is much better. To meet par, BB users have other browsers (Opera Mini, Bolt, and hopefully Skyfire soon) to use.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

* Love - Apps - Agree
    * Hate - AT&T - Agree
    * Different - Notification system - Agree
    * BB Love - Apps...can't beat them! - Agree
    * BB Hate - robust email app & maybe BBM?
    * Apps installed - 40-ish, with 100 or so on the PC
    * Apps used on regular basis - around 5
    * Device usage - internet is the most used part of it, whether it is via an app or using Sarfari or the Mail app - Agree
    * Favorite App - The Creeps! or Twitterific

And I agree with the statement that you'll never want to go back to non-app living once you get them. I switched to the Nexus One, and the selection is certainly not as good as on the iPhone, but it will improve I'm sure
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

I wouldn't mind an iphone...currently using the BB 9630...I like it, and Verizon works much better than AT & T at work, but.....I do like the iPhone...my daughter has one...
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

I think BB's are lousy on browser...but they are great in some other ways, I do like having a physical QWERTY keyboard....
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Blackberry: Communication device then App device
    iPhone: App device then Communication device
    CRT
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I have been a long time bb user. I switched from ATT to VZW about 5 yrs ago because where I live north of ATL there is only edge were as VZW has great 3g coverage even in the most rural areas. The company I work for has recently moved to a zimba email server. While email works good on my bb, the calendar will not sync very well. People with iphones hav no problems syncing email and multiple calandars OTA. I have been tempted to switch but ATT scares me. They have not expanded 3g any closer to our area. When I have played with friend's iphones using the available edge network, the browser takes FOREVER to open up webpages. I would give the iphne a try if it came to VZW or if ATT realized there are people who don't live in large cities.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    1,026 Global Posts

BB is a great secure communications device. The market has shifted big time though, people that carry BB's for business want to be able to use them as personal devices and that means multimedia. I have been carrying BB's since the two way pager days and I have a soft spot for them but I'm also a fan of cellphones in general and the technology. I would love to play with a 3GS and see if it could swoon me like it has so many. The UI is amazing but I dislike the lack of multitasking, just one major sticking point for me. I appreciate Apple for coming along and pushing all devices forward. Hopefully RIM gets on the ball and with the Torch acquisition a real browser will be offered.
    Now give me a 3GS and let me play with one extensively please
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Default Things I would love and miss moving bb to iphone

I would love the webkit browser.....
    the app store....
    the whole iphone aesthetic...

But I would dearly miss the email service

The security

The customization.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    3,804 Global Posts

Comments based on the 3G...I have not touched a GS yet.

- what you love! Fluidity of the UI
    - what you hate! Non user replaceable battery and non expandable/removable memory, AT&T.
    - what you wish was different. Wish it had a better display, removable batt. and expandable memory. Wish it were more comfortable to hold. Verizon!
    - what a BlackBerry user would love about switching to the iPhone. The stability of the O.S.
    - what a BlackBerry user wouldn't like about an iPhone. Inability to remove battery or memory, email service, lack of notification options.
    - how many apps you have installed on your phone. A lot...lol!
    - how many of those installed apps do you actually use on a regular basis. About 5.
    - how you use the device... what do you spend most of your time doing on your iPhone when you have it in your hand. Twitter, music, YouTube.
    - what's your favorite app? DynoLicious.

We decided the GS wasn't worth the upgrade. We actually probably will not buy another iPhone unless Verizon gets it (or it's free...lol!), and I will not replace my Storm with one unless it gets removable battery and a better display. It also needs better call quality, though i still haven't figured out if the problem is AT&T or the iPhone. There are a lot of things to like about it though, primarily in the areas of O.S. refinement and web surfing abilities. I don't care about the apps. Yeah, there are thousands, but many, and I mean MANY of them are just repeats of the same apps. And I don't like that it's all tied to iTunes...

All in all it's all about what you need and want. For my other half the iPhone is the Cat's Azz, and that's all that really matters...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast