Time Machine Backup?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Seagate 1tb Backup Plus Portable Hard Drive today, and after setting it up, and letting it do it's thing, i realized that if i leave it plugged in, it will continue to make backup every hour or so. Is there any way to set up "time machine" to make a backup once a week, if i leave the hard drive plugged in? I guess that i could just unplug the hard drive, and plug it back in whenever. Is that my only option? Thanks.:confused:

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Seagate 1tb Backup Plus Portable Hard Drive today, and after setting it up, and letting it do it's thing, i realized that if i leave it plugged in, it will continue to make backup every hour or so. Is there any way to set up "time machine" to make a backup once a week, if i leave the hard drive plugged in? I guess that i could just unplug the hard drive, and plug it back in whenever. Is that my only option? Thanks.:confused:

I like just in the last thirty seconds realized that I accidentally left my MacBook at work, so I can't look, but I do believe that it will backup as long as it's plugged in. I stupidly haven't backed my Mac up in like two months.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I like just in the last thirty seconds realized that I accidentally left my MacBook at work, so I can't look, but I do believe that it will backup as long as it's plugged in. I stupidly haven't backed my Mac up in like two months.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I just found out that 1hr is the default setting in the Mac, but i can change it by using the "terminal" app. I'll just shut time machine off, and turn it back on when i want another backup.:p

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It performs hourly backups for 24 hours, daily back ops for a week, weekly backups for a month and monthly as long as it has space. Or something like that. But there is no reason to not leave it plugged in all the time if you can. The backups are differential backups so it only backs up what has changed. If it runs out of space, it will start deleting the oldest backups first.

Thanks. My wife has the exact same Mac as i, and she was wondering if i were to plug that portable hard drive into her Mac, would it work? Thanks.:p

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. My wife has the exact same Mac as i, and she was wondering if i were to plug that portable hard drive into her Mac, would it work? Thanks.:p

Yes, if she plugs the drive in and sets up TimeMachine to do the backups. It creates a separate folder structure for each device that is backed up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2