Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Parallels on Mac: Safe?

Hi,

I guess some people here run Parallels.
    I plan to switch *completely* to Mac systems upon the reception of my MBP. But I'll need a few Windows-only software to run on it (Quartus...)

For this, I've heard the software to get is Parallels.
    However, I'm wondering if it's safe for the Mac system?
    I've had very bad experiences so far with Windows systems (5-6 mins to wake up from sleep state on my 4-core i7 2,2 GHz PC... VERY laggy, fans perms-blasting and always something broken). I really don't want anything of this happening to my MBP...

So is Parallels safe to use? Or does it put the user to the same "risks" as using a PC or whatever? Moreover, I don't want it to alter anything on my Mac system... No weird Windows users, no weird files, not messing around with my folders or stuff...
    I hope I explained my concern good enough! Let me know if it's not clear!

Regards,

Global Posts
    5,885 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Re: Parallels on Mac: Safe?

It will not mess with your Mac system, create users, etc. it will create one large file called the VM (Virtual Machine) and the entirety of the Windows system will be within that file. You should run antivirus inside the VM but even if you don't and get a virus inside the Windows VM, there is no chance of it getting outside the VM and affecting your Mac.
    Thanked by:
    dalaen (10-29-2013)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your feedback. That's nice to hear!
    I'm not very worried about viruses. The software I plan to use on Windows is for local usage, not through Internet. But that's nice to hear again.

One more thing then, do you think it could deteriorate hardware? Well at least in a faster way, since hardware always, even very slowly, deteriorates.
    That may sound like a silly question, but every PCs I got formerly got their fans spinning constantly after 6 months or a year of usage. I don't want that on my Mac (and the one I'm typing this on, which is 1 year old, has absolutely no hardware problem using Mac-only stuff).

Global Posts
    5,885 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

No. Parallels will not affect the hardware or fans. It Uses the computer just like any other program. The only effect it could have on the fans is a temporary one if you were doing something that used a lot of CPU within the VM, but that is no different than running a native Mac program that uses a lot of CPU.
    Thanked by:
    dalaen (10-29-2013)
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thank you Karen for your answer again.

I guess the issues I had with my former PCs was due to poor quality from the constructor. Especially those cool down systems.
    So I can use all of this safely. Thanks!

Global Posts
    5,885 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    No. Parallels will not affect the hardware or fans. It Uses the computer just like any other program. The only effect it could have on the fans is a temporary one if you were doing something that used a lot of CPU within the VM, but that is no different than running a native Mac program that uses a lot of CPU.
    I frequently have the fans on my MBP running full tilt due to video conversion which uses a lot of CPU but after the conversion finished it always quiets back down. At least in the past year it hasn't caused me any trouble.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

I am new to MBP, still windows user at work, and recently, 3 days ago, bought myself a 2012 MBP and to have windows on it I used oracle virtual box software. Out of 8GB on Mac I gave 3 to windows 7 and both were up and running 5.5 hours on single battery charge. Just wanted to share my amazement from this solid OS and of course solid hardware.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    dalaen (10-30-2013)